1 Potential Partial Lineup For 2010

Marty34

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
While I don't disagree that moving Konerko would be hard, I don't get the sense that they are committed to Ramirez.

I think they're frustrated with Alexei on D, but I don't think they're foolish enough to underestimate what they have. He's a middle infielder, SS or 2b at worst, who can hit .300 and give 15-20 home runs and an .750+ OPS each year who's under our control for at least 4 more years with good speed. That's a ridiculously valuable piece in a trade. You're moving him you ought to get back an ace starting pitcher or a top of the league OF bat or something like that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
I think they're frustrated with Alexei on D, but I don't think they're foolish enough to underestimate what they have. He's a middle infielder, SS or 2b at worst, who can hit .300 and give 15-20 home runs and an .750+ OPS each year who's under our control for at least 4 more years with good speed. That's a ridiculously valuable piece in a trade. You're moving him you ought to get back an ace starting pitcher or a top of the league OF bat or something like that.

and they have a SS who is playing 3B that can put up an .850 OPS

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)

But he's also been surprisingly good at 3b, and we don't have another option at 3b without spending money.

If you can trade Alexei for a king's ransom, say a top of the rotation type starter (Buchholz?) then either spend the money on Figgins or go with some mix of Fields and whatever else we can dredge up...maybe you consider it, but only if you think you're better with a hole at 3b and the guy you're getting back for Trading Alexei.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)

I've never been sold that Beckham would be a good SS at this level. Thank Josh Fields ineptness for Beckham playing 3B. Where Gordo ends up on the infield will depend on Kenny's moves...but I don't want to see him yanked around or thrown at SS for lack of a better option. He's done fine at 3rd so either just leave him there or put him back at 2B. Either way...but I really don't feel SS is where he's best suited.

The defense needs to be better next year. I like Alexei, but I don't like him at shortstop. I preferred him at second base, but second base is already crowded. There are so many infield questions going into next year. Does Ramirez stay at shortstop? Does Beckham stay at third, or does he go to second or short? If Ramirez and Beckham are the middle infielders who plays third base? What becomes of Getz and Nix (or Lillibridge, just to add another name to the list even though it should be fairly obvious what becomes of him)?

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 06:16 PM)
Really don't like an of the 2 hitter options here, but...

3B Beckham

CF Rios

RF Quentin

DH Thome

LF Bay/Holliday

1B Konerko

C Pierzynski

SS Ramirez

2B Nix

With the commitments already made this season (via trade) for Peavy and Rios, I think we can forget about the Sox signing a very expensive FA player. I could see the Sox pursuing an older OFer that would be cheaper or a player (e.g., Figgins) that could effectively lead off for the Sox. However, I'm not sure what Figgins would cost compared to Bay or Holliday this offseason, but I'd bet on him being cheaper.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:20 PM)
Bay/Holliday won't be happening most likely.

Yeah, Boston is likely going to overpay to keep Bay (Why shouldn't they?) and Holliday is going to be a highest bidder kind of guy, but I don't think moving him back to the AL is intelligent at all.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 05:21 PM)
Yeah, Boston is likely going to overpay to keep Bay (Why shouldn't they?) and Holliday is going to be a highest bidder kind of guy, but I don't think moving him back to the AL is intelligent at all.

I couldn't see Holliday wanting to come back to the AL.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 06:29 PM)
Anybody think the Rays will decline Crawford's $10M option?

I don't. He's worth $10 mil easy.

If anything, they'll try and extend him at a below market value price after enacting the option. Then, if they fail, they can trade him and say it was Crawford's fault that he wouldn't re-sign. (Good P.R.)

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
Anybody think the Rays will decline Crawford's $10M option?

Not after they just cleared salary (Kazmir).

You want him, you need to offer something significantly better than the 2 draft picks and full season of performance that they'd get from Crawford by keeping him.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 10:32 PM)
While I don't disagree that moving Konerko would be hard, I don't get the sense that they are committed to Ramirez.

PK is not the problem with the team and I disagree with your feeling on the issue of Ramirez. Ozzie Guillen said many times that Getz-Ramirez and Beckham are the future infield of this team. I hope experience makes them better

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)
PK is not the problem with the team and I disagree with your feeling on the issue of Ramirez. Ozzie Guillen said many times that Getz-Ramirez and Beckham are the future infield of this team. I hope experience makes them better

I agree on PK, especially since there are no viable in-house options to replace him. As much as I like Alexei, with his salary and production, he'd be an excellent trading chip to get a really, really high impact player. Considering that Getz and Nix have both shown they can play at the major league level, there are options in the middle infield for the Sox, but neither Getz nor Nix would have much value on the trade market (compared to their value to the Sox). It would have to be the right deal, but I think KW has to consider dealing Alexei in a blockbuster-type situation.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
1. Figgins 3B

2. Rios CF

3. Beckham SS

4. Thome DH

5. Quentin RF

6. Konerko 1B

7. A. Ramirez 2B

8. Pierzynski C

9. Pods/Crisp LF platoon

i think that's the most realistic i've seen but i think it could easily be:

LF-Figgins

2B-Getz