1 Potential Partial Lineup For 2010

Marty34

i dont see why people think getting figgins is so realistic. he is having a career year and will require a high priced, multi year contract. he will be 32 next year and his speed will start to diminish. with rios and peavy on the team, i really doubt they will give figgins the contract that he will want.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 07:39 PM)
i dont see why people think getting figgins is so realistic. he is having a career year and will require a high priced, multi year contract. he will be 32 next year and his speed will start to diminish. with rios and peavy on the team, i really doubt they will give figgins the contract that he will want.

agree

Move Lexi back to second, get a cheap veteran ss for defensive purposes mostly. Pray Beckham starts hitting again and leave him at third.

Lexi and Getz are not a playoff caliber combination.

If all we have is starting pitching, we better get defense behind it.

Also, Rios is a good defender, but try to trade him. He's not a good fit in Chicago.

Put our best young prospects at middle reliever. I'd rather lose with youth than guys like Linebrink, Pena, Williams, Dotel. They all SUCK!!!

Starting pitching should be the Sox strength in the next few years. Therefore that's what you build around. Find good defensive player's like Franklin Gutierrez or Jack Wilson and plug them in the starting lineup. Two very good defensive players will do wonders to improve the Sox defense along with more experience gained by Beckham and Ramirez . Get one more good defensive outfielder and infielder who aren't terrible offensive players. Move who ever you have to move via trades or defensive positioning. The whole pitching staff will be much better .

This is so much more important than who will hit leadoff or where to play Ramirez , Beckham or Quentin.

Our starting pitching is now our most dangerous weapon, so we need to make a run for the cup in the next 2-3 years. More or less the future is here starting in 2010, not 2011. Like some of you guys are sayin, I think the smart move is to put the best defensive team we can behind these 4 guys. I don't know why Beckham at short scares me, but it does; so keep him at 3B where he is excelling. Lexi is fine at short, and Paulie picks everything at 1B. Get Dye the hell outa my outfield and pray to God Rios hits next year. That leaves us short a corner outfielder and a second baseman; but I wouldn't mind a Getz/Nix platoon next year, especially since both would be valuable bench hitters. Neither is bad IMO.

So really all I need is a great defensive corner outfielder and a new DH. Only 1 baseclogger is allowed in my lineup and that's Paulie. 2 Cloggers can really hurt us in a given inning. Dye and Thome go away. I actually didn't mind Pods at DH when he was there. With our pitching staff we don't have to outslug anybody (even though we still have plenty of pop). My point is that DH doesn't need to be filled with a big guy who can only hit. It can be filled with a good overall hitter who gets on base, he doesn't have to be an RBI guy necessarily. We'd be built ike 2005 again only better IMO.

What do you guys think of these points?

What about calling Tyler FLowers up for September and seeing how he would look for a fulltime DH/backup catcher to AJ. Oh man would that be sweet if it worked out.

Edited by Jerksticks

I still don't understand why people automatically want to see/or think Beckham as a number 3 hitter next year (Because Hawk said so?). I don't see it for a few years... Why through him into the fire that quick. Personally I don't think he's ready. Q at 3 next year IMO.

I still don't understand why people automatically want to see/or think Beckham as a number 3 hitter next year (Because Hawk said so?). I don't see it for a few years... Why through him into the fire that quick. Personally I don't think he's ready. Q at 3 next year IMO.

i dont think it would be throughing him into the fire

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 09:01 PM)
Move Lexi back to second, get a cheap veteran ss for defensive purposes mostly. Pray Beckham starts hitting again and leave him at third.

Lexi and Getz are not a playoff caliber combination.

If all we have is starting pitching, we better get defense behind it.

Also, Rios is a good defender, but try to trade him. He's not a good fit in Chicago.

Put our best young prospects at middle reliever. I'd rather lose with youth than guys like Linebrink, Pena, Williams, Dotel. They all SUCK!!!

hahahahha

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 11:20 PM)
Our starting pitching is now our most dangerous weapon, so we need to make a run for the cup in the next 2-3 years. More or less the future is here starting in 2010, not 2011. Like some of you guys are sayin, I think the smart move is to put the best defensive team we can behind these 4 guys. I don't know why Beckham at short scares me, but it does; so keep him at 3B where he is excelling. Lexi is fine at short, and Paulie picks everything at 1B. Get Dye the hell outa my outfield and pray to God Rios hits next year. That leaves us short a corner outfielder and a second baseman; but I wouldn't mind a Getz/Nix platoon next year, especially since both would be valuable bench hitters. Neither is bad IMO.

So really all I need is a great defensive corner outfielder and a new DH. Only 1 baseclogger is allowed in my lineup and that's Paulie. 2 Cloggers can really hurt us in a given inning. Dye and Thome go away. I actually didn't mind Pods at DH when he was there. With our pitching staff we don't have to outslug anybody (even though we still have plenty of pop). My point is that DH doesn't need to be filled with a big guy who can only hit. It can be filled with a good overall hitter who gets on base, he doesn't have to be an RBI guy necessarily. We'd be built ike 2005 again only better IMO.

What do you guys think of these points?

What about calling Tyler FLowers up for September and seeing how he would look for a fulltime DH/backup catcher to AJ. Oh man would that be sweet if it worked out.

I think it's pretty much what I said the post before yours. :P

One other point. Wouldn't Flowers as a full time DH and AJ be 3 base cloggers in your lineup when you just said only one ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 01:27 AM)

I'm with ya. I think Gordo will eventually be a 3 hitter but for now he's best suited in the 2 spot, keep him there at least for next season.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 02:27 AM)

i say put him there pretty much by default. Quentin probably isn't going to hit for a high enough average to warrant batting 3rd. If he does hit well enough then he's the no-brainer choice. But, if struggles like this year, who else would be the guy for the 3 hole? Rios has potential and , other than Beckham, he's about it. That's assuming KW doesn't somehow bring in a legit #3 hitter this off season.

There is going to be a lot of changes this offseason. Will it be Getz or Alexie at 2B? One thing is for certain, they will not leave the infield alone after all these errors. Some interesting SS free agents include: Wilson, Greene and Scutaro. Some interesting 3B free agents include: Beltre and Figgins.

I'm not sure if Beckham could make the re-swtich back to SS but im sure he would be better than ALexie. I think Alexie might be the one who gets traded this offseason, but if not he will go back to 2B no doubt. It seems as if all the additions KW makes is via trade. But the one guy i could see him signing is Figgins.

Here is my tentative 2010 lineup:

Figgins 3b (KW and Ozz have been craving this guy for awhile)

Beckham SS

Quentin LF

Thome DH (signs a 1 year 5 mil deal)

Konerko 1B

Abreu RF (KW has always liked the dude)

Pierzynski C

Rios CF

Ramirez/Getz 2B (1 will get traded hopefully for bulpen help)

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
1. Pods(LF)/Getz(2B)

2.Beckham, 3B

3.Quentin, RF

4.Thome, DH

5.Konerko, 1B

6. AJ, C

7.Rios, CF

8. Alexei, (SS)/Pods(LF)

9 Getz, (2B)/ Alexei (SS)

If this is the lineup then we are all going to be angry again next year. How is this team any better than what we have right now? The defense is still bad and the offense is the same team with probably a worse year from Pods, Aj and Thome.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 01:52 AM)
I think it's pretty much what I said the post before yours. :P

One other point. Wouldn't Flowers as a full time DH and AJ be 3 base cloggers in your lineup when you just said only one ?

Man I just don't view AJ as a baseclogger since he runs the bases so well. Is Flowers really that slow or is that based on him being a big guy with a high OBP? If Flowers mashes this September I see no reason to keep Thome or Dye. They are just too old and pull happy for this team.

This is my *probable* lineup for 2010, not my dream lineup. This assumes that most of our disposable income goes towards the bullpen...

1. Pods, LF

2. Rios, CF

3. Beckham, 3B

4. Quentin, RF

5. Thome, DH (AJ and Flowers will spell him)

6. PK, 1B

7. AJ/Flowers (platoon), C

8. Alexei, SS

9. Getz/Nix (platoon), 2B

Rotation

1. Peavy (knock on wood)

2. Buehrle

3. Floyd

4. Danks

5. Garcia/Hudson

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
This is my *probable* lineup for 2010, not my dream lineup. This assumes that most of our disposable income goes towards the bullpen...

1. Pods, LF

2. Rios, CF

3. Beckham, 3B

4. Quentin, RF

5. Thome, DH (AJ and Flowers will spell him)

6. PK, 1B

7. AJ/Flowers (platoon), C

8. Alexei, SS

9. Getz/Nix (platoon), 2B

That is the probably lineup. But the defense will continue to suck in the infield as long as Alexie is at SS. That may be a good way to introduce Flowers however. Slowly plug him in there.

Dye could be back..

• While the White Sox are expected to exercise the $12-million option on Jermaine Dye, it's a mutual option, and there's still a chance he'd turn it down. It'll be interesting to see whether the acquisition of Rios plays into his thinking. On Tuesday, the White Sox plan to bring up top power-hitting prospect Tyler Flowers on call-up day.

Jon Haymen's little blurb there in the article

I'm not understanding at all why they would want to commit that kind of money to Dye for next year...

We need to move on. This is as good a time as any. I think that includes Pods too, we don't want to start the year like we did with Anderson/Owens/Wise/Fields/Lillibridge/Miller and then end up having to find another "quick fix" like we were lucky enough to get that spark for one last season with Pods.

Beckham, I'm still not sold on the fact that he would be an improvement over Ramirez at SS. This is based more on our disappointment overall with Ramirez's season (attitude, attention lapses, lack of focus...and maybe a lot of it goes back to the lawsuit and sophomore slump), but that, in and of itself, does not make Gordon a wonderful defender at that position just because he's NOT Ramirez. It's the old back-up QB analogy. You want him to play until you actually see him play, then you want the old starter back (and quickly).

Unless they sign someone like Beltre or Figgins, it's very unlikely Beckham's moved off 3B. He will never have the range (and Ramirez has been criticized by playing too far back...too much into the hole, too much up the middle to overprotect, like Getz has to do going to his right)...OR THE ARM, and Beckham still would seem to profile better at 2B than SS/3B in the long-term.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
I'm not understanding at all why they would want to commit that kind of money to Dye for next year...

Me neither, especially when a productive Dye would be worth half of that on the FA market. Typical SI cluelessness.

Here what I would think with 2010 opening day ages

I think the teams wholes will be a third and one of the corner outfield positions. I would assume we're grooming Viciedo, so I don't think Figgins will work as he will likely seek out a multi year contract and I think Iwamaura would be a cheaper fix for a shorter amount a time and do just as fine. We are going to need a left handed bat to replace Thome, Bobby Abreu is available and if he'd take a 1 year deal with LA, I would think he'd take a 1 or 2 year deal with us. Just how I would think would make a great squad, but idk.

3B Akinori Iwamura (31)

SS Gordon Beckham (23)

RF Carlos Quentin (28)

LF Bobby Abreu (36)

1B Paul Konerko (34)

CF Alex Rios (29)

C A. J. Pierzynski (33)

2B Alexei Ramirez (28)

DH Tyler Flower (24) or Dayan Viciedo (21)

Edited by whitesox901

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 08:29 PM)
we arent getting chone god damn figgins. i will stick a cucumber up my butt on webcam for everybody on this site if we sign him. it aint happening. he is going to want a lot of cash after this season.

How are we to know that you don't do that every other day and enjoy it ?