NEW OZZIE GUILLEN COLUMN ON ORGULLOSOX.COM

SoxComms

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Monday, August 31, 2009

NEW OZZIE GUILLEN COLUMN ON ORGULLOSOX.COM

CHICAGO – A new column, the ninth of the season, by Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen posted today on orgullosox.com/ozzie (the White Sox Spanish-language website). An English version of the column also will be available on the same website.

The bi-weekly column is used as a forum for the White Sox manager to communicate thoughts regarding on and off-the-field topics and also field fan questions submitted on the website.New columns post every other week on orgullosox.com.

The Spanish-language website, accessible to all Internet users, allows fans to maneuver between the English version of the site (whitesox.com) and back. Currently featured on orgullosox.com are: new and exclusive video updates, team news, Spanish broadcast details, ticket information and information on community programs.

-30-

This is why I love Guillen so much.

He is even more honest in Spanish, and open (abierto)...he said a reporter made the comment that they had the talent to win the World Series again this year (on paper), and he said something about delusions of grandeur but the fact was that Ozzie did agree, the talent was there, that it was basically a failure of execution.

It was kind of an interesting analogy he made to the fact that from here on out it was going to be like climbing a giant mountain and he wasn't sure that we had the "legs" (see Thome/Konerko/Dye/Linebrink/Dotel/Pods) to get there at this point. He understands this team better than anyone...he knows that 2005 is long gone, and a transition is happening, just like when we replaced Valentin/Thomas/Ordonez/Lee (well, Big Hurt did make a brief contribution but essentially Everett took his place).

"Last week a Boston reporter asked me if Jose again for Chicago to start a game and I said I have three kids, and I would love to be alive when my grandchildren are born. I really do not want to die of a heart attack early..." Said Contreras was a warrior and fighter, and that he was STILL the best possible option to win that game. "Some of you in letters, say they know him (Contreras) from his days in Cuba, and which may be lack of concentration (now), which is not pitching for underarms (too much from the side), you are not using the fork ball, and another long list of reasons..." Lots of comments from Spanish/Cuban letter writers about trying to fix Jose and what was wrong with him.

Some posters here have made comments about DFAing the likes of Contreras and Linebrink (even more silly), and you can tell that Ozzie really loves Contreras, will stand by him until the end, even if he will be second-guessed for not using someone like Torres or Hudson, he would rather go with guys like Jose and Freddy that have been there before.

El lunes comenzamos la última serie de la gira en el Metrodome, donde los Mellizos parecen imbatibles. Imagino que será una buena oportunidad para demostrar que aún estamos vivos, que todavía tenemos deseos y que seguimos en la lucha por el título de la división que con tanto sacrificio ganamos el año pasado.

"Monday begins the last series of the trip in the Metrodome, where the Twins appear unbeatable. I imagine that that this will be a good opportunity to demonstrate that we are still alive, that we still have desire to continue the fight for the AL Central Division title that we sacrificed so much for last season..." My translations, a little rough but probably 75-85% accurate.

Edited by caulfield12