I just heard on the Score

MurcieOne

7-10 months ago everybody on this board was creaming in their pants over Webster.  So we give him away for a .270 hitter with a little power who is below average in center.  If we would have offered Anthony Webster alone to every team in the majors, I am dead certain that we would have been offered more than Carl Everett.  Then you give them the choice of some very promising pitchers.  Man, this is expensive.  John Hart must have said something magical as he danced away with whoever made the trade.  So far Carl has contributed one large two out, two run single that beat the Indians the other night.  We always get out negoiated.  The Rangers probably allowed us to put Yan, malone, and Allen in the pot, because they never had any intention of taking them.  They were just window dressing.  They wanted Webster, who was probably untouchable not long ago, and convinced us to put him in the pot, because "we want pitching."  Then they take the stud.  Other than Honel and Cotts, they had our very best pitching prospects available.  All for a player that the Rangers did not even want.  Sorry for the rant.  I am out.

Wrong Everett has had a big hit in the last 3 games. He was at the plate when the rain delay came yesterday. And after it was over he got a huge 1 run double. Everett is coming around on offense and playing well on defense. Get over the deal, yes we traded away 2 very good A players but thats all they were, were A players. Till they prove themselves in the majors you can't say the trade was a failure.

Everett did enough Monday and yesterday to make this trade easy to stomach. Giving up three guys from 'A' ball is not too much for a guy that just played in the major league all-star game. Three years from now we may be regretting this but if we were 6 games out right now I would be more frustrated. I remember winning over 90 games and not making the playoffs in the early 90's we have this thing there for us if we can get it all together.

I promised elsewhere that I would leave the Everett trade alone, but here I am; just want to answer Joel and HSC Fan. First, Joel, I made my post before Ev's big double last night. I'm sure he will have other big hits down the road, and I will be cheering for him with you. I don't dislike Carl, I just think we drastically overpaid for him. It reflects poorly on the competence and judgment of our maximum leaders. As I said earlier, Webster is a tremendous prospect. True, he might never make it for a variety of reasons, but today he is a tremendous prospect. If we shopped him alone to every other team, we would have gotten a lot more for him than Carl Everett. If we had shopped Webster, Rupe, and Francisco to every other team, we would have gotten a whole lot more than Carl Everett. If the Rangers had shopped Everett to every team in the majors, they would not have been offered anything near the value of those three kids from any other team.

I hope Carl hits like crazy, hustles his ass off, and leads the Sox to the playoffs. But the fact of the matter is, I bet we could have gotten Carl for just one of those kids. The Rangers would have been crazy not to do it. But we were probably bidding against ourselves and just kept throwing more chips in the pot until they finally stopped us.

I have no reason not to believe that when this trade came up, we reacted much too quickly, all to the benefit of the Rangers. They won the battle of the brains and baseball judgment, IMO.

Now I am really done talking about this trade.

I promised elsewhere that I would leave the Everett trade alone, but here I am; just want to answer Joel and HSC Fan.  First, Joel, I made my post before Ev's big double last night.  I'm sure he will have other big hits down the road, and I will be cheering for him with you.  I don't dislike Carl, I just think we drastically overpaid for him.  It reflects poorly on the competence and judgment of our maximum leaders.  As I said earlier, Webster is a tremendous prospect.  True, he might never make it for a variety of reasons, but today he is a tremendous prospect.  If we shopped him alone to every other team, we would have gotten a lot more for him than Carl Everett.  If we had shopped Webster, Rupe, and Francisco to every other team, we would have gotten a whole lot more than Carl Everett.  If the Rangers had shopped Everett to every team in the majors, they would not have been offered anything near the value of those three kids from any other team.

I hope Carl hits like crazy, hustles his ass off, and leads the Sox to the playoffs.  But the fact of the matter is, I bet we could have gotten Carl for just one of those kids.  The Rangers would have been crazy not to do it.  But we were probably bidding against ourselves and just kept throwing more chips in the pot until they finally stopped us.

I have no reason not to believe that when this trade came up, we reacted much too quickly, all to the benefit of the Rangers.  They won the battle of the brains and baseball judgment, IMO. 

i enjoy reading 99% of your post, you have a counter-point that i sometime don't think off.

btw, i think you misread the other poster statement, honestly

btw, i forgot to add, what has everett has done for us since he been here?

we gave up way too much?

was kw in charge of this trade?

3 big hits(I think), solid defense in CF, helped balance out the lineup, and hit one homer.

And he's just getting going

guys i am certainly no expert just a 40 year baseball fan... but what i can tell you is this.. i live in central ky and have seen webster play three games in lexington this year.. he is a nice player with considerable potential, but little pop in his bat (at this point) defensively, he is above average, but i have seen better i would be suprised if he ever does much in the big show, of course he could develop.. rupe was obviously their best pitcher on an otherwise weak pitching staff.. saw kohlmeier pitch a nice game in louisville tonight (3-2) and look foreward to watching the double-header saturday night

You have to take into consideration that the Rangers would have probably received 2 supplemental draft picks if they would have kept Everett. Why would they trade Everett and the picks for 1 quality minor leaguer? I don't consider this an overpayment at all. Everett is a gamer, and a damn good one at that.

I promised elsewhere that I would leave the Everett trade alone, but here I am; just want to answer Joel and HSC Fan.  First, Joel, I made my post before Ev's big double last night.  I'm sure he will have other big hits down the road, and I will be cheering for him with you.  I don't dislike Carl, I just think we drastically overpaid for him.  It reflects poorly on the competence and judgment of our maximum leaders.  As I said earlier, Webster is a tremendous prospect.  True, he might never make it for a variety of reasons, but today he is a tremendous prospect.  If we shopped him alone to every other team, we would have gotten a lot more for him than Carl Everett.  If we had shopped Webster, Rupe, and Francisco to every other team, we would have gotten a whole lot more than Carl Everett.  If the Rangers had shopped Everett to every team in the majors, they would not have been offered anything near the value of those three kids from any other team.

I hope Carl hits like crazy, hustles his ass off, and leads the Sox to the playoffs.  But the fact of the matter is, I bet we could have gotten Carl for just one of those kids.  The Rangers would have been crazy not to do it.  But we were probably bidding against ourselves and just kept throwing more chips in the pot until they finally stopped us.

I have no reason not to believe that when this trade came up, we reacted much too quickly, all to the benefit of the Rangers.  They won the battle of the brains and baseball judgment, IMO. 

You know these prospects more than me(I the only one I had even heard of was Webster before the trade) so I will buy into your oppionion that these guys were very good players. My only point is that you can't call a trade a disater, overpayment, etc till you see how these guys do in the majors.

You know these prospects more than me(I the only one I had even heard of was Webster before the trade) so I will buy into your oppionion that these guys were very good players. My only point is that you can't call a trade a disater, overpayment, etc till you see how these guys do in the majors.

This is true. Look how far Borchard's stock has fallen with many during the last year, and these kids are lower than him. It is possible, however, that the Sox got majorly hoodwinked, but we won't know for several years. It does seem like the Sox may have overpaid, considering what the Rangers agreed to take for Gonzalez while paying the rest of his contract, before he blocked it.