Dye, Thome, Linebrink + others Available

Chi Town Sox

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 07:09 PM)
Unless he's outstanding defensively, it makes a lot of sense to move him away from behind the plate if his bat lives up to its billing. Guys like Mauer and Rodriquez were good defensively so moving them out didn't make as much sense. An average defensive catcher who can pile up huge numbers offensively should switch positions if possible.

i understand ,makes sense. i guess he projects a little bit like victor martinez. but hey, if piazza could catch all those yrs that he did..lol

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 07:20 PM)
i understand ,makes sense. i guess he projects a little bit like victor martinez. but hey, if piazza could catch all those yrs that he did..lol

I knew Mike Piazza, and you sir, are no Mike Piazza.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 06:46 PM)
Paulie should stay.

#1. Who's gonna replace him next year if you get rid of Dye and Thome as well.

#2. He's not having a bad year.

#3. Harder to trade since he's 10/5 and under contract until 2011.

Out of the 21 qualified 1B in baseball this year Konerko has the 18th highest OPS+ but is the 8th highest paid and tied with 2 others for 2nd oldest.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 06:24 PM)
KW would do this organization a huge favor if he can unload Konerko's contract on someone.

I honestly would love to see all of them gone with the exception of Thome.

If I read tonight that Dye/Konerko/Dotel have all been traded for a bag of nerf footballs, I would not lose a whole lot of sleep over it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
Yes. But the odds of someone claiming Linebrink are very slim. Of course I thought no one would claim Wagner.

Well, Wagner isn't due $10 million over the next two years. I agree that the Sox should hang onto Linebrink. He's healthy and if his offspeed stuff can find the plate again next year, he'd be worth either holding onto or dealing for value.

I seriously doubt that Kenny deals Paulie or Thome tonight. But I don't like talk of a firesale and a press conference after Peavy's X-rays happening on the same day.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 06:09 PM)
This little tidbit from Gonzalez makes a Dye trade even more unlikely IMO

Dye's contract also states that a team that acquires him must pick up his $12 million option.

Yeah, he's staying put.

The Sox should eat the remaining 2009 salary owed to Oh Do Tell, Thome, and Dye if the Sox are set on not picking up their half of the MO, which looks to be the case. None of these guys are getting arb so the Sox should eat salary and get whatever they can. Or, if someone is willing to pick up their remaining salaries (probably pretty unlikely) then dump the players and put the couple million saved into the 2010 team.

I doubt anyone goes, but if someone does I think it'll be Dotel. Maybe Pods too if he already cleared waivers this season.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 06:50 PM)
Why wasn't this done in late July? Or a week ago for that matter? It's too late for this now, should have sold what parts we do have when we had the chance.

Are you a jackass? Seriously, I understand I'm making a personal attack but my god, the team was barely out of 1st place and they acquired Jake Peavy. Why would they have moved Dye/Thome. That would have been suicide to the fan base and the waiving of a white flag. JR would never do that again after the PR hit the club took.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 08:58 PM)
Because we were in a race and it's bad business to give up in July when you're like 2 games back.

You know what's worse business? Not doing what's best for the long term interest of the franchise just because a mediocre division is keeping you close in the race. Now, we're not in the playoffs and are going to get nothing but hit or miss draft picks or nothing trade packages for our veterans who have collapse down the stretch.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:00 PM)
Are you a jackass? Seriously, I understand I'm making a personal attack but my god, the team was barely out of 1st place and they acquired Jake Peavy. Why would they have moved Dye/Thome. That would have been suicide to the fan base and the waiving of a white flag. JR would never do that again after the PR hit the club took.

It appears the jackasses around here are the people who were saying I was crazy all July for saying we should be in sell mode. You all were proven wrong, but I enjoy the fact you are reverting to personal attacks rather than admitting it. Great example to set as a moderator. :headbang

Edited by whitesoxfan101