Thome, $ to LAD for Fuller-Jose to COL for $, Hynick

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:49 PM)
Thome made $13M this year meaning he'd get about that in arbitration if he were to accept. Jim Thome is not worth $13M at the point in his career, to this team in this economy. They wouldn't even have thought about offering him arb.

Thats what I figured but I think Jim wants to play next season and I think the Dodgers can get away with offering him arbitration because I don't see Thome valuing the 13 million and 100 at bats over a chance to get 450 at bats.

Who knows...

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:48 PM)
This kid can deal. When he's locating, he buries people.

I think of him as a little better version of Nick Blackburn actually with a better changeup. He has to have good defense behind him though. He'll probably strikeout more people though.

Just looked at both their minor league numbers.. Very similar.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 12:51 AM)
No doubt we'd look bad regardless but it is tough to argue that we have a good perception from Cuban ballplayers and a good relationship with one of the biggest agents who represents those players. Having done something to Contreras would've harmed that relationship I feel and wouldnt have been worth the risk. With so many American ballplayers - we'd have looked bad but I don't see it as hurtful.

Just my two cents. We can agree to disagree.

What's hurtful about giving a guy a shot at the playoffs?

Jose's problem has been that he's too sensitive. Maybe this move to the NL will bring back his confidence.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:55 PM)
What's hurtful about giving a guy a shot at the playoffs?

Jose's problem has been that he's too sensitive. Maybe this move to the NL will bring back his confidence.

The whole Contreras blurb in my messages was in relation to my early post about dfa or cutting him...Before we found out he was dealt. Those comments are not to be interpreted with regards to the trade.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:54 PM)
Thats what I figured but I think Jim wants to play next season and I think the Dodgers can get away with offering him arbitration because I don't see Thome valuing the 13 million and 100 at bats over a chance to get 450 at bats.

Who knows...

If the Dodgers offer Thome arbitration and he declines he becomes a much less desirable free agent since any team that signs him would have to give up a pick all the more incentive for Thome to accept. But beyond that do you really think the Dodgers would risk having to pay a 39 year old pinch hitter $13M? I don't.

Wow, that all certainly happened very, very quickly.

Firstly, I'll be rooting for the Dodgers come playoff time because of Jim Thome. That man deserves a World Series, and I hope he can actually win one. Classy move by KW to give him that chance.

Very happy at what we got for Contreras. Hynick seems like he could be a contributor down the line, and to get anything of note for Jose who's been terrible lately is a pleasant surprise.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:55 PM)
we dont really have room for him starting unless we keep hudson in the minors for another year.

I still think Hudson is the future whereas Hynick is a solid BP arm potentially (maybe a Carrasco type role) but he can be in the equation no doubt.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:55 PM)
we dont really have room for him starting unless we keep hudson in the minors for another year.

Hudson is a prospect that has never pitched in MLB. Bringing in Peavy/Danks/Floyd/MB as your first 4 and then a vet (Freddy) or two and some young guys to compete for the 5th sounds good to me.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:57 PM)
If the Dodgers offer Thome arbitration and he declines he becomes a much less desirable free agent since any team that signs him would have to give up a pick all the more incentive for Thome to accept. But beyond that do you really think the Dodgers would risk having to pay a 39 year old pinch hitter $13M? I don't.

I am not so sure I agree. In theory it makes sense but until we see this thing shape out it's tough to comment.

A week ago people all raved about how Thome and his OPS were great. So if he says he'll take less of a salary since it'll cost the signing team a pick to get a chance to DH then I would bring him on.

Jim Thome at DH for a team like Seattle, KC, Tampa, etc. Some of those teams may need to shuffle money but I'll take Jim Thome's potential production at a 5million tag and give up my late first round or second round pick (for those teams who aren't in the bottom 15 picks - like KC).

Maybe I just value him higher then O.Cab - who we saw that status affect his signing this offseason. I am just making an observation on things. Not debating it's unlucky but I think there is a definite possiblity he gets offered arbitration if he really wants to play.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 12:02 AM)
I have been napping all night, so this is brand new to me. I haven't read any of this thread yet, but I assume this means we re-sign Dye for DH.

I do not like that.

I don't think it means that at all. Both will file for free agency at the end of the season just as they would have had Thome not been traded. The options haven't really changed.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:53 PM)
Did he actually do that? that would be wild to see

No, all Garland's teamates were laughing at him while a coach was pulling him by the shirt down the stairs into the clubhouse, he was all smiles. It looked like he wanted to hang around for a while. I think he's from LA.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 12:02 AM)
I have been napping all night, so this is brand new to me. I haven't read any of this thread yet, but I assume this means we re-sign Dye for DH.

I do not like that.

I don't see it that way. From my understanding if Dye would have been moved he would have had his 12m automatically picked up, so to move him the Sox would probably of had to eat a ton of that contract next year. He'll play the month out and file for FA, Sox won't offer him arb. and he and Thome will probably both be out there