Thome, $ to LAD for Fuller-Jose to COL for $, Hynick

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE (tommy @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
I was just going to ask.. have we waived the white flag?

I think that's a pretty resounding yes after these moves.

And I think at least the people on here would like to see what the likes of Flowers can do at the major league level for the moment.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tommy @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:38 PM)
I was just going to ask.. have we waived the white flag?

More like throwing in the towel as we weren't planning on keeping either of them anyways and didn't effect our 2010 plans.

I always viewed the white flag as selling off pieces we had use for still.

Thank you Jose and Big Jim for the memories,especially the Count who led us to a World Series championship...

It was time to part ways and hopefully you'll both do well with your new teams...

Well done KW,we still got some more deadweight to get rid of for 2010 but we're off to a nice start.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (tommy @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 12:49 AM)
I also wonder how does Alexei feel about Jose's departure ?

Who cares. He will likely be dealt this winter also.

This is some crazy crap to wake up to. Contreras was a beast in 05 and 06 but injuries and inconsistencies have really tampered his career. W/O him we get no ring. So i am very thankful for Contreras. Good luck in Colorado.

Thome's time here was extremely fun. I remember in 06 when he started the year hitting all those homeruns in consecutive games. I remember telling my brother "were going to win this thing again". Unfortanatley we didn't but it was fun nonetheless. His legend as a White Sox will come from that blackout game, hitting that monster shot breaking the 0-0 tie and hugging Ken Griffey Jr near the dugout. His walkoff 500th HR was also pretty cool :)

Its time to move on. . this season is over. Lets see what other players could do. 2010 is on the way.

Edited by GreatScott82

Garland knew something was up when he began receiving text messages during the game. He went into the visitors' clubhouse, showered, packed up and then made what he called a "definitely weird" walk to the Dodgers' side.

SI

Would have been better if he just crossed into the other dugout.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 08:23 AM)
Good riddance to both of these guys. Jose, you were great for a year but you have been awful for 3 years. Thome, you are a nice guy, but I never liked you and I'm tired of you strikeouts.

It's posts like this I think of when I player decides to leave via free agency.

Interesting that Thome knew the night before.

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti expects manager Joe Torre to use Thome like the Phillies used Matt Stairs last season.

"In fact, the night before the deadline he called me. … He just said: 'I just want to be honest with you. I’d love to come. I want to help you guys any way I can. But playing first base is not something I’m going to be able to do — maybe in an emergency situation, perhaps.' "

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_leagu...?urn=mlb,186333

Oh no, good forbid someone say anything negative about Jim Thome. The guy was a class act, but the fact of the matter is that we won the division just once in his 4 years here. He was not nearly as clutch are some of you are saying. He struck out all the time and could hardly score from 3rd on triple. Thome can't hit a fastball anymore. He is done. I guess I'm not a "fan" because I didn't like Thome.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 09:12 AM)
Oh no, good forbid someone say anything negative about Jim Thome. The guy was a class act, but the fact of the matter is that we won the division just once in his 4 years here. He was not nearly as clutch are some of you are saying. He struck out all the time and could hardly score from 3rd on triple. Thome can't hit a fastball anymore. He is done. I guess I'm not a "fan" because I didn't like Thome.

No, but your subjective observations dont match with the statistics that support Big Jim has been one of our best hitters over the course of his stay here.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 12:47 AM)
Except that the reports are indicating that the Sox are getting cash from the Rockies.

Why would the Rockies take on Jose's contract AND send the Sox some cash? It doesn't make much sense. The cash, I'm sure, is going to the Rockies to pay Jose's contract.

It's the ignorance of fact that seems to be where you fall flat on your face. Thome has a .372 OBP with an .864 OPS. He was damn productive still.

You are definitely a fan, and when a player says f*** this place and leaves, I never blame them, call them greedy, or anything like that.

I will miss Jim Thome being a member of the White Sox. Really nice first class guys like him just don't come around every day. Considering his last injury-riddled year with the Phillies he bounced back and had a pretty good tenure with the Sox. I wish him well and hope he gets a ring with the Dodgers. :notworthy

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 09:19 AM)
It's the ignorance of fact that seems to be where you fall flat on your face. Thome has a .372 OBP with an .864 OPS. He was damn productive still.

I know he had a high on-base. An I'm not making an argument. I didn't like him. We moved away from slug-ball in 2005 and we won it all. Then we moved back to it in 2006 and we went back to mediocrity. It's not a coincidence IMO. Give me guys who can run and play defense....not the complete opposite (Thome).

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)
I know he had a high on-base. An I'm not making an argument. I didn't like him. We moved away from slug-ball in 2005 and we won it all. Then we moved back to it in 2006 and we went back to mediocrity. It's not a coincidence IMO. Give me guys who can run and play defense....not the complete opposite (Thome).

There weren't a lot of players who could run on that team.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)

Amazing, they went away from slug-ball and ranked 4th in home runs in 2005. :lolhitting