Thome, $ to LAD for Fuller-Jose to COL for $, Hynick

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
IMO the Thome trade wasn't for us... it was for him.

Nobody trades a productive player + cash for a 26 year old A-ball scrub because it's good for the ballclub.

It was a class move by Kenny to give a future Hall-of-Famer at the end of his career a chance at a ring. Period.

:notworthy

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
Found this on another site:

"To me, Thome symbolizes KW giving right back in to the urge to have the same offense he had from 01-04.

On the WS video, he brags about dumping Maggs, Carlos, and Jose to become more versatile. The next season we become station to station again.

This team needed to dump Thome. It needs speed and non-pull hitters.

Get back to pitching and defense. "

How is speed at the DH position going to solve the defensive and and pitching woes of this team?

Two things for you PeavyTime.

1. Thome is a freaking DH. Quit talking about "Getting back to good defense" when we are talking about a DH.

2. Who cares if he strikes out a lot? I remember somebody did some research and showed that OPS has a greater correlation to runs scored than batting average. OPS is the best measure of offensive production. Thome had the highest OPS on the team.

Edited by son of a rude

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:51 PM)
No doubt we'd look bad regardless but it is tough to argue that we have a good perception from Cuban ballplayers and a good relationship with one of the biggest agents who represents those players.

Having done something to Contreras would've harmed that relationship I feel and wouldnt have been worth the risk. With so many American ballplayers - we'd have looked bad but I don't see it as hurtful.

Just my two cents. We can agree to disagree.

Meh, maybe not. Your point about this organization having an exceptional relationship with a limited pool of Cuban ballplayers is a good one. In addition, Jose tends to be overly-sensitive and he'd probably slam the organization if Kenny outright cut him. I don't think that it factored into the decision-making, but I can agree that the ramifications of such a move would have been worse.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
Found this on another site:

"To me, Thome symbolizes KW giving right back in to the urge to have the same offense he had from 01-04.

On the WS video, he brags about dumping Maggs, Carlos, and Jose to become more versatile. The next season we become station to station again.

This team needed to dump Thome. It needs speed and non-pull hitters.

Get back to pitching and defense. "

The Sox scored 127 more runs in 2006 than they did in 2005. Thome was the major reason for that but I guess it was station to station baseball that did the Sox in that year rather than the fact that the pitching staff gave up about 150 more runs than the previous season. It is Thome's fault Politte became a terrible pitcher, Cotts sucked, Buehrle sucked, and Contreras got injured. If only we had more speed and a less productive hitter we would have won it all that year.

And this myth that the Sox won with speed that year really needs to end. That lineup included Everett, AJ, Dye, Konerko, Crede, Uribe none of whom could really run. Rowand had above average but not great speed, Iguchi had decent speed but nothing more. Pods was the one guy who could really run on that team that was an everyday player. The Sox hit 200 HR, as already pointed out most of the big hits in the postseason were HR. The 2006 offense with the 2005 pitching staff wins 100+ games with ease and just about any year your pitching does what the 2005 Sox did in the playoffs you win the WS. When the other team doesn't score you win.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 08:57 AM)
And this myth that the Sox won with speed that year really needs to end.

True, but the Sox were more effective offensively during the first half of the season, when Pods was healthy. He was a difference-maker. The Sox were also MUCH more effective at bunting and moving runners along via productive outs in general. This latter point is a lost art that has cost them since.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 10:57 AM)
The Sox scored 127 more runs in 2006 than they did in 2005. Thome was the major reason for that but I guess it was station to station baseball that did the Sox in that year rather than the fact that the pitching staff gave up about 150 more runs than the previous season. It is Thome's fault Politte became a terrible pitcher, Cotts sucked, Buehrle sucked, and Contreras got injured. If only we had more speed and a less productive hitter we would have won it all that year.

And this myth that the Sox won with speed that year really needs to end. That lineup included Everett, AJ, Dye, Konerko, Crede, Uribe none of whom could really run. Rowand had above average but not great speed, Iguchi had decent speed but nothing more. Pods was the one guy who could really run on that team that was an everyday player. The Sox hit 200 HR, as already pointed out most of the big hits in the postseason were HR. The 2006 offense with the 2005 pitching staff wins 100+ games with ease and just about any year your pitching does what the 2005 Sox did in the playoffs you win the WS. When the other team doesn't score you win.

:notworthy amazing that someone actually has to post this on a White Sox message board. But maybe 2005 was just so long ago. Great post.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 11:00 AM)
True, but the Sox were more effective offensively during the first half of the season, when Pods was healthy. He was a difference-maker. The Sox were also MUCH more effective at bunting and moving runners along via productive outs in general. This latter point is a lost art that has cost them since.

icing on the cake.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
IMO the Thome trade wasn't for us... it was for him.

Nobody trades a productive player + cash for a 26 year old A-ball scrub because it's good for the ballclub.

It was a class move by Kenny to give a future Hall-of-Famer at the end of his career a chance at a ring. Period.

I buy it. The Thome trade didn't give us any salary relief. And it didn't bring back anyone remotely likely to make the majors. So there really wasn't much benefit, other than freeing up some AB's for younger guys. Maybe they have a handshake deal for bringing Thome back next year. That's about all I can think of.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
If Thome comes back here next season, Dye and Konerko better be gone. It's time to turn over the roster as much as possible, when it comes to the over-30 crowd.

How many rosters full of players under 30 are currently competing for the playoffs?

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)
Slug-ball is when you sit back and wait for the 3 run homer. That is this team. In 2005, yeah we could mash, but we could also manufacture runs. Every year I can remember before and after 2005, he lived and died by the homer. Not in 2005 though, we won with pitching, defense, timely hitting etc. Thome is none of those things.

No, that team scored most of its runs on home runs. The fact of the matter was that they could pitch too, and they threw the s*** out of the ball. 4 starters with an ERA below 4, 3 dominant relievers and that bullpen never went through a bad stretch, and only used 6 starters all season. The pitching and defense won that World Series, and it had little to do with their ability to manufacture runs. The team was more fundamentally sound, and could manufacture a run, but that is an offense I never want the Sox to be apart of again, as it was the 2nd worst offense of the decade. What I would like to see, and what Williams is trying to duplicate, is putting together a starting pitching staff similar to that in ability. He's done exactly that with Peavy-Buehrle-Floyd-Danks, in whatever order you want. The fact that Dan Hudson is in AAA only helps that rotation.

Folks this maybe more of a tribute to Jim thome than anything else. Maybe the sox want to give him a last shot at winning the world series. He might have this time and maybe next year and thats it. Maybe the sox are giving one the best gentleman in baseball a shot at being on a world series team. If so I think its great. Word of this might not come out for years to come.

QUOTE (quickman @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
Folks this maybe more of a tribute to Jim thome than anything else. Maybe the sox want to give him a last shot at winning the world series. He might have this time and maybe next year and thats it. Maybe the sox are giving one the best gentleman in baseball a shot at being on a world series team. If so I think its great. Word of this might not come out for years to come.

:huh: :)

Hellooo quickman!

Good to see you posting! :cheers

QUOTE (JackTalkThai @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
27 of the Tigers 40 man roster are under the age of 30.

The point is that most playoff contenders' starting lineups are mostly made up of players over 30.

And that teams made up of all players under 30 have a name... they're called expansion teams.

Yet the myth persists among some fans that younger means better.