I present your 2010 DH: Adam Dunn

Steve9347

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
I'd offer Torres, Getz and Shelby. I'd be operating under the assumption that the Nats want to dump salary to make room for having the probable #1 pick in next years draft.

I'd be operating under the assumption that a lot of teams would offer better than that. I also know that whenever KW makes a move he deals a player that everyone here thinks is the second coming. So, I don't think that's going to work.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
Keep in mind that Kenny is going to have to spend on the bullpen this off-season. Even if Kenny pays Jenks arbitration, the middle relief is still an absolute mess.

Maybe we'll see another Linebrink contract or two.

I'd offer Torres, Getz and Shelby. I'd be operating under the assumption that the Nats want to dump salary to make room for having the probable #1 pick in next years draft.

..and when 28 teams find out that's the starting price they'll easily surpass the offer.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
So a 6th starter, a utilty guy, and a fringe prospect for 40 HR's and 100 RBI's?

1. The Nats aren't going to give him away

2.The Sox aren't the only ones that would/will be looking at Dunn.

I agree that the package he mentioned wouldn't be enough, but I'd also rate Getz as more than a utility guy.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
By my count, we have 44 million dollars off the books this offseason. Uh, yeah, we have a ton of money to offer.

You forgot about the $25+ million going to Peavy and Rios next year, the raises that Jenks, Floyd, Danks, and Quentin will command via arbitration, and the money that the Sox are losing due to economy-driven losses in advertising and luxury suite sales. The Sox have less to spend next season than a lot of people think.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
You forgot about the $25+ million going to Peavy and Rios next year, the raises that Jenks, Floyd, Danks, and Quentin will command via arbitration, and the money that the Sox are losing due to economy-driven losses in advertising and luxury suite sales. The Sox have less to spend next season than a lot of people think.

^^^^ That was Tony and Rowand's point. BTW Steve, I was all over the Dunn acquisition months ago.. where have you been.. you don't even notice me anymore.. :(

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)

Beat me to it. That sums it up perfectly though.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
I know for sure that it's been kicked around on this site for at least the last month.

Well I won't take credit cuz there was a poster (or two) here actually said it in the winter actually when he thought Thome was gonna retire after this season, but I brought it back up before ST when we had our low payroll, cause it does make sense.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)

We have about 68 million locked up next year. So unless Jenks, Danks, and Q's arb gets to a sum of 30 million (protip: it won't), we still have money to spend. Should be just over 10 million actually. And we should be in a decent position to actually add payroll from our current spot. We already took our preemptive strike against the economy, if you don't remember.

Anyways, we're going to have to spend it some where. Whether it's on middle relief or Adam Dunn and more is another story.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

I prefer to use whatever money we have to spend on upgrading defense and the bullpen.

Call me crazy but I have a feeling Pena will have a nice season next year. We seem to pick up guys who stink when they first get here and turn a corner the following year (see Thornton and Floyd).

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
I prefer to use whatever money we have to spend on upgrading defense and the bullpen.

Call me crazy but I have a feeling Pena will have a nice season next year. We seem to pick up guys who stink when they first get here and turn a corner the following year (see Thornton and Floyd).

I have a good feeling about Rios for the same reason. It is hard to just turn it on after being ordinary for most of a season.

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to believe that Flowers and AJ might just be rotated between DH and Catcher next season. It's obviously not the best idea in the world for Flowers progression as a catcher but it gives AJ some extra rest and with not a whole lot of money to work with, it's something that could possibly happen.