I present your 2010 DH: Adam Dunn

Steve9347

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 07:09 PM)
Added Peavy

Added Rios

No walk up crowds for Septmember games

Jenks gets expensive.

My thoughts on Jenks are if he isn't playing hurt then he is definently losing his touch. Trade him over the off season. He is not perfomring and hasn't for awhile. Now it could be just a bad year, but his driop in velocity and pitches grooved down the middle are troubling signs

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
You forgot about the $25+ million going to Peavy and Rios next year, the raises that Jenks, Floyd, Danks, and Quentin will command via arbitration, and the money that the Sox are losing due to economy-driven losses in advertising and luxury suite sales. The Sox have less to spend next season than a lot of people think.

$67.05M guaranteed to 9 players (Buehrle, Floyd, Konerko, Linebrink, Peavy, Pierzynski, Ramirez, Rios, Viciedo)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
I prefer to use whatever money we have to spend on upgrading defense and the bullpen.

Call me crazy but I have a feeling Pena will have a nice season next year. We seem to pick up guys who stink when they first get here and turn a corner the following year (see Thornton and Floyd).

It's usually a very bad idea to spend money on bullpen arms. The position is just way too volatile from year to year. You're better off putting together a group of cheap vets and youngsters with good stuff/control.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 03:20 PM)
Dunn = Thome on the bases and at the plate

Right now he's actually quite a bit better than Thome, and the dude can actually run a bit and is pretty durable. Actually, we could throw Pauly at DH and Dunn at first.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
$67.05M guaranteed to 9 players (Buehrle, Floyd, Konerko, Linebrink, Peavy, Pierzynski, Ramirez, Rios, Viciedo)

We don't have much money to spend. Add in the arb guys which I will estimate at 4.5 for Carlos, 6 for Danks and 8 for Jenks. Thats 85. Plus Betemit 1.75, Pena 1.0, Thorton 2.25, Dye buyout 1.0, and 0.4 for Beckham, Getz, Carrasco and Nix. We are now over 92M.

So I ask where is the money to spend? Everyone looks at whats coming off the books but not what is being added.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)
We have about 68 million locked up next year. So unless Jenks, Danks, and Q's arb gets to a sum of 30 million (protip: it won't), we still have money to spend. Should be just over 10 million actually.

Jenks, Danks, Floyd, and Quentin will cost us well over $20 million in arbitration next year (probably closer to $25 million).

And we should be in a decent position to actually add payroll from our current spot.

Not true...

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)

That's a lot of money concentrated into 9/25 of the roster. Throw in the arbitration salaries and now we're at a minimum of $87 million (probably closer to $92 million) for 13 players.

I wouldn't be surprised at all of Paulie and Jenks were dealt this winter, just for sake of salary relief.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
Jenks, Danks, Floyd, and Quentin will cost us well over $20 million in arbitration next year (probably closer to $25 million).

Not true...

That's a lot of money concentrated into 9/25 of the roster. Throw in the arbitration salaries and now we're at a minimum of $87 million (probably closer to $92 million) for 13 players.

I wouldn't be surprised at all of Paulie and Jenks were dealt this winter, just for sake of salary relief.

Don't forget Floyd signed a deal before the season started so he's one of the 9 players that under contract for next year leaving only Quentin, Danks, Jenks, Wise, Carrasco, Betemit and Pena as the arbitration eligible players in '10.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)

Considering Floyd is locked up and part of the guaranteed contracts we're talking about, your numbers are off.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
I agree that the package he mentioned wouldn't be enough, but I'd also rate Getz as more than a utility guy.

I think it depends on the economy as well. If the Nationals play things by the wallet, and set aside money for Bryce Harper, the price for Dunn dramatically lowers. Especially, with Chris Marrero knocking on the door for them very soon.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
Don't forget Floyd signed a deal before the season started so he's one of the 9 players that under contract for next year leaving only Quentin, Danks, Jenks, Wise, Carrasco and Pena as the arbitration eligible players in '10.

Right, my bad. So, the Sox are roughly somewhere between $82 and $87 million for 13 players.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
We don't have much money to spend. Add in the arb guys which I will estimate at 4.5 for Carlos, 6 for Danks and 8 for Jenks. Thats 85. Plus Betemit 1.75, Pena 1.0, Thorton 2.25, Dye buyout 1.0, and 0.4 for Beckham, Getz, Carrasco and Nix. We are now over 92M.

So I ask where is the money to spend? Everyone looks at whats coming off the books but not what is being added.

At 92M (and I don't think Danks will get that much), they still have about 20M more to add. Another bullpen arm, Chone Figgins, and a RF/DH type should about do it.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
At 92M (and I don't think Danks will get that much), they still have about 20M more to add. Another bullpen arm, Chone Figgins, and a RF/DH type should about do it.

Why are people assuming that the Sox will spend $110+ million in 2010, when they purposely dumped salary last winter to get down under $100 million?

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)

$112M? They're going to finish this year at about $98M if you stretch the numbers and I have a hard time seeing payroll go up from there. $92M could very well be the budget for next year given all the variables involved.

And Danks will get about $4M max, IMO.