Steve9347

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 01:46 PM)
Why are people assuming that the Sox will spend $110+ million in 2010, when they purposely dumped salary last winter to get down under $100 million?

The economy isn't as bad as it was last year, and Kenny is mad. That's why.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
We have a better chance at resigning Thome or Dye to reduced contracts then we do at paying Adam Dunn $10M. Just not happening. Not a good idea to buy high. KW will continue his bargain basement shopping looking for web gems.

Odd use of the term.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 03:58 PM)

Except for the fact that sponsership contracts are expiring and attendance is down. $110 M is not gonna happen.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)

The economy is arguably in worse shape than it was last fall, especially with inflation predicted to hit late next year. The national unemployment rate is at 9.5% and rising. If businesses can't afford to hire workers, what makes you think that they'll purchase luxury suites or advertising space? How many people do you suppose will be purchasing season ticket packages while they're worried about their job security? Do you think that this year's choke job will increase or decrease attendance next year?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to believe that Flowers and AJ might just be rotated between DH and Catcher next season. It's obviously not the best idea in the world for Flowers progression as a catcher but it gives AJ some extra rest and with not a whole lot of money to work with, it's something that could possibly happen.

I think financially this is a great idea assuming Flowers can be capable next year. I think that's what his September tryout will be about. A better look of whether or not he can be a starter in 2010. The Sox would get a player at league minimum with big potential and give AJ extra rest from playing catcher. The only position that would need to be filled/resigned would be another OF. Rios and Quentin would go out there. If the Sox have money to spend it's probably Dye. If not, Pods. Both wouldn't be out of the question.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 03:27 PM)
Right now he's actually quite a bit better than Thome, and the dude can actually run a bit and is pretty durable. Actually, we could throw Pauly at DH and Dunn at first.

Why would Dunn play over Paulie at 1st?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to believe that Flowers and AJ might just be rotated between DH and Catcher next season. It's obviously not the best idea in the world for Flowers progression as a catcher but it gives AJ some extra rest and with not a whole lot of money to work with, it's something that could possibly happen.

This idea has been floated here before, and it's not a bad one. A potential limiting factor to playing one of them at C and one at DH simultaneously means that another backup catcher would be needed if the one playing catcher were injured and forced to leave the game. This would take away a roster spot from a bullpen arm or utility player.

But if taking a bullpen arm out of the mix is possible, I'm all for breaking in Flowers at C by DHing him. He could catch against LHPs, giving A.J. rest.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
This idea has been floated here before, and it's not a bad one. A potential limiting factor to playing one of them at C and one at DH simultaneously means that another backup catcher would be needed if the one playing catcher were injured and forced to leave the game. This would take away a roster spot from a bullpen arm or utility player.

But if taking a bullpen arm out of the mix is possible, I'm all for breaking in Flowers at C by DHing him. He could catch against LHPs, giving A.J. rest.

I understand the urge to have a third catcher in that situation, but let's be honest. It would just be one game where the pitcher might have to bat. Somebody would be called up from the minors before the next game even started.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
I think financially this is a great idea assuming Flowers can be capable next year. I think that's what his September tryout will be about. A better look of whether or not he can be a starter in 2010. The Sox would get a player at league minimum with big potential and give AJ extra rest from playing catcher. The only position that would need to be filled/resigned would be another OF. Rios and Quentin would go out there. If the Sox have money to spend it's probably Dye. If not, Pods. Both wouldn't be out of the question.

Why would Dunn play over Paulie at 1st?

Because of PK's Thome-Like hip condition.