Why did we trade Jim Thome?

DaTank

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
Sure, my "exact logic", that you just pulled out of your ass. I didn't say I wanted these "World Series heroes" to take Jim's place, I said he wasn't a fit on our team. With his high strikeout rate per at bat, and his continued non-ablility to come through in the clutch(besides of sourse 163), it's time for a change. Also I'm a big believer in just changing things up when they don't go your way. Different personalities in the clubhouse, different mindset, whatever.

wow

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 03:51 PM)
You have a problem with his high strikeout rate and you suggested Adam Dunn as an option?

True, you're right. But I'd still rather have him over Thome because of his age, better production and for the change. It's looking like the Nats want some quality young pitching though, so that might take him out depending on what they want.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
True, you're right. But I'd still rather have him over Thome because of his age, better production and for the change. It's looking like the Nats want some quality young pitching though, so that might take him out depending on what they want.

Where as you don't have to give up anyone and it only costs $2-5 mill for Thome on a one year deal.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)

Gotta remember, the worst that the Nats would get if Dunn flat out walked as a FA is 2 draft picks. You've got to beat that in value significantly if you expect them to trade him

It's great we all agree that we will look back on this trade as the best thing to ever happen. Thome was a cancer on this team and I smelled a rat from day 1. Mr Nice Guy Class Act s*** was just that, an act. His pull-happy, strikeout machine style of play has ruined us. Konerko can stay for as long as he wants, but Dye has to go too.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 01:54 AM)
It's great we all agree that we will look back on this trade as the best thing to ever happen. Thome was a cancer on this team and I smelled a rat from day 1. Mr Nice Guy Class Act s*** was just that, an act. His pull-happy, strikeout machine style of play has ruined us. Konerko can stay for as long as he wants, but Dye has to go too.

I really hope that you don't really feel this way, but sadly by sarcasm meter isn't really going off right here. Their's nothing to suggest that Big Jim is anything, but a class act. Their's also nothing about his game that makes him anything less then one of the best players to ever play a damn ballgame. Jim Thome was a man who could carry the team by the strength of his shoulders and his personality, and it saddens me that you get to throw him unders the bust for the misguided pursuit of "smallball,"

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 01:54 AM)

Ugh.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 06:35 AM)
This organizations philosophy regarding the DH positiong the past 15 years or so has been to stick a bad fielding hitter in the spot. I'm tired of having Thome/Baines/Thomas type guys in the spot when we can use the spot better like the Yankees and Angels tend to do and give guys more rest.

wat

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)
I must be in the minority to be thanking the lord Thome is gone. The lefties I'd rather take his spot next year: Adam Dunn, Abreu, Matsui. I'd even rather gamble that Delgado will be able to stay healthy. I think KW is thinking much the same. It hasn't worked with Jim, so why keep doing it.

huh

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 10:40 PM)
seems like we've been winning consistently since we traded Thome...

WTF

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 06:54 AM)

holy mary mother of god

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 12:54 AM)

Thome was the problem, not Konerko. Makes perfectly, sound, logical, reasonable sense.

It amazes me how many people who know nothing about baseball post on this board.

Just because we disagree with you doesn't mean we don't know baseball. You ever heard of a legitimate difference of opinion?

Hasn't your mother taught you if everybody agreed with everybody else the world would be a f***ing dull place??

Just because we disagree with you doesn't mean we don't know baseball. You ever heard of a legitimate difference of opinion?

Hasn't your mother taught you if everybody agreed with everybody else the world would be a f***ing dull place??

Wow... Your argument is pretty flawed. It is easy to judge how much somebody knows about baseball by their opinion... If I say Tim Lincecum is the worst pitcher in the majors, does it mean I know nothing about baseball, or I just share a different opinion than everybody else?

The guy said Jim Thome is a cancer. He either knows jack s*** about baseball or he is a troll.

Honestly, I've never been a big fan of Jim Thome. I think he's exactly what the White Sox doesn need: a player who's only strenght is the long ball. I think the Sox is so much better now with the flexibility they have in being able to rotate the DH position amongst everyday positional players.

I seriously hope the Sox is heading in a different direction from the days of having DH-only players like Thome and Thomas. I hope the Sox starts utilizing the DH position similar to how the Angels does, like someone else in this thread mentioned.

Also, someone mentioned that Thome was a cancer. Well, I do think he was a nice guy and all, but I think he was indeed a cancer in the sense that he can only play DH, which severely limits a team's flexibility.

The dude can't even play 1B in interleague games, that's just a waste of a 25-man roster spot.

On thise year's team, now that Thome's gone, having guys like Pods, Kotsay, Dye, Konerko, and Quentin getting breathers in DH is so much better.

And to the guy that said that people who doesn't like Thome "doesn't like baseball", well dude, different people have different philosophies when it comes to constructing a baseball lineup. Just because some people doesn't like having DH-only players like Thome on the roster doesn't mean they "don't know baseball.

Edited by SouthsideDon48