Is Alexei Ramirez a good SS?

Jake

Still, if you look at the real problems in terms of the payroll of the White Sox, he's the most effective producer, just like Quentin/Danks/Floyd were last year.

Look at Contreras, Dye, Thome, Jenks, Dotel, Linebrink and Konerko if you want to assess where the real meat of our payroll is going, and how well that money has been spent.

Contreras and Konerko have never produced what their salaries warranted, but those contracts were understandable after 2005 (although he would have been better off with one year less of Jose's deal).

The fact is, we could get an Everett or Jack Wilson type, but if our biggest challenge is offense (or is it also defense), which way do you go if you're KW? Ramirez is far from below-average offensively, he's very explosive and capable of carrying the team at times and no mention has been made of his many clutch hits since the first six weeks of the season.

You have to give him at least one more season to prove what he can do, at the very least, until June/July 2010. Then KW can make a move...it's not like he's giving us these numbers and he's Cabrera's age and salary, he's in the prime of his career, can run, is athletic (in the new mold of future/current Sox players like Rios, Beckham, Jordan Danks, Shelby, Getz, Nix, Mitchell, Trayce Thompson, Brandon Allen (oops) that are not all "base cloggers" like the core of AJ/Crede/Konerko/Thome/Dye and even Carlos isn't completely limited athletically.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 08:28 PM)
Whatever you may think of Alexei at SS, I'm pretty sure that he'll still be our starting SS in April. Beckham will most likely stay at 3B (where he's adjusted nicely) and Nix has made Alexei look like Ozzie Smith in comparison. There aren't very many in-house options and Kenny doesn't have enough financial flexibility (or prospects) to go after another Orlando Cabrera this winter.

There's no doubt that he will be the starting SS in 2010 and I am guessing Beckham stays at 3B, but i see more of a chance for Beckham to move to another IF position than Alexei moving. I still wonder where Viciedo with his 39 errors is it fits in?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)
There's no doubt that he will be the starting SS in 2010 and I am guessing Beckham stays at 3B, but i see more of a chance for Beckham to move to another IF position than Alexei moving. I still wonder where Viciedo with his 39 errors is it fits in?

Think Carlos Lee...

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)

Viciedo looks like he'll be 2011 at the earliest. Maybe later.

Anorexei could be a real good SS, but probably will always be leaving you wanting more. If he could get it through his head to just make the plays and not try for oohs and aahhhs, and not take routine plays off, he would be outstanding. I remember going to a game earlier this year where he leaped for a ball caught in and did a little flash with his glove. It looked like one of the greatest catches of all time. Then they showed it on the board. It was a liner hit almost right at him about 7 feet in the air. He could have just stuck his glove out and caught it. I think its one reason why you hardly ever see him go a game without making Paulie scoop one in the dirt on a routine play. He's too caught up in the glitz. I don't know if its something he will overcome, but if he ever decides to just make the plays, he will be a lot better than average. I do think he's on thin ice though as the Sox really want their captain of the defense to be the SS. I don't know if Anorexei really has that capability and Beckham certainly does. Although I do agree Ramirez will most likely be at SS next year, I really think eventually Beckham will be there.

Alexei does have great range and an arm. Yet he's so prone to bone headed moves in the field, that he may not be the type of SS you want to build your team around.

Right now, I don't see a lot of options for the Sox. Unless the sox move Beckham to SS and get a guy for 3b like Adrian Beltre, who could possibly make up for the drop off in range.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
Well alot of what you said simply isnt true. But I especially liked where you stated he has a "little" HR power, but then that all he does is try to hit long balls. He's an above avg offensive player at SS, and is a rookie defensively, and a decent one at that.

But I'd like to see your list of SS you would like starting over Alexei. Why didnt you post that in the first place since it was part of your proof points why you dont like the guy.

FYI

league avg SS

.269 4hr 25 RBI

Alexei

.276 15hr 58 RBI

1. Hanley

2. Bartlett

3. Jeter

4. Asdrubal

5. Escobar

6. Aybar

7. Tejada

8. Tulowitski

9. Scutaro

10. Reyes when healthy

11. Rollins

12. Guzman

13. Theriot

14. Andrus doesn't have the numbers yet but he's 21

15. To make 15 I'll toss in Freddy Sanchez, who has played some SS.

QUOTE (JoeCredeYes @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 08:15 AM)
1. Hanley

2. Bartlett

3. Jeter

4. Asdrubal

5. Escobar

6. Aybar

7. Tejada

8. Tulowitski

9. Scutaro

10. Reyes when healthy

11. Rollins

12. Guzman

13. Theriot

I'd only take 6 of those guys over Alexei without a second thought (Hanley, Bartlett, Jeter, Tulo, Reyes, & Rollins)

You can have Theriot, Guzman, Sanchez, Scutaro, Tejada (5 years ago on the roids I'd take him)

I'd could be convinced either way on the other ones

Asdrubal Cabrera hasn't proven himself yet...any more than Ramirez has. And anyone can put up decent stats in meaningless games, we saw it with Kip Wells for years with the Pirates.

Escobar and Aybar, both maybes but it's far from clear-cut. Andrus, same thing.

Scutaro, going forward, for the next 4 seasons? No way.

Even Rollins might be in decline at this point in his career, but you'd have to take him over Alexei right now. But for 2012 or 2013...don't think so.

THE Riot, Sanchez and Christian Guzman, not a chance...Tejada, on an already defensively-challenged team, would make things far worse. He has less range than Jhonny Peralta, if that's possible.

1. Hanley

2. Bartlett

3. Jeter

4. Asdrubal

5. Escobar

6. Aybar

7. Tejada

8. Tulowitski

9. Scutaro

10. Reyes when healthy

11. Rollins

12. Guzman

13. Theriot

You know when you have to toss a 2B in a list about who you would take over a SS that you are stretching, apparently that didnt cross your mind.

6. Aybar

7. Tejada

9. Scutaro

12. Guzman

13. Theriot

jesus, I don't care for Alexei, but atleast I can appreciate what he does.

This should be the first and last time that anyone seriously says that Cristian Guzman is a better shortstop than Alexei Ramirez. Juan f***ing Uribe is a better shortstop than Cristian Guzman.