Something cool about your parents

jasonxctf

My dad went to high school with Pete Cetera (Chicago bassist and singer prior to launching his crappy solo career) at Mendel, and went to college with Dick Butkus at U of I. Played intramural basketball with Butkus and vividly recalls his ability to clear an entire gymnasium through the power of his flatulence.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 10:04 PM)
My dad went to high school with Pete Cetera (Chicago bassist and singer prior to launching his crappy solo career) at Mendel

That's interesting. Pete Cetera started his high school career at Quigley South, the seminary high school - in MY father's class - before leaving for another high school (never knew which one until now).

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 12:53 AM)
My mom dated Davey Jones from the Monkeys for a month or so. Has cool stories of playing backgammon with Peter Tork and Micky Dolenz and stuff like that.

You can always say your mom f***ed a monkey.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 08:53 AM)
That's interesting. Pete Cetera started his high school career at Quigley South, the seminary high school - in MY father's class - before leaving for another high school (never knew which one until now).

I didn't know he started out at Quigley (I almost went there for HS but decided to opt for the Jesuits at the last minute).

Cetera was class of 1962 at Mendel, graduating a year after my dad did. He and Michael Sheehan are pretty much the only names i recognize from the "Mendel Hall of Fame".

My dad went to the same high school as Hillary Clinton. He was a year or two younger. His brother was her year. He has some pretty good stories from back then. Especailly high school reunion stories regarding her brother.

My mom's father was the Cubs' radio announcer on WGN in the 1960's. She met a ton of Cubs players like Ernie Banks as well as other popular Chicago figures such as Stan Mikita. After that they set up a charity golf tournament that used to be held at Medinah and I had a chance as a kid to meet a lot of the same people. I met Minnie Minoso, Stan Mikita, Kevin Butler, Johnny Red Kerr and Tom Dore and got the autographs of a ton of others.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
My mom's father was the Cubs' radio announcer on WGN in the 1960's. She met a ton of Cubs players like Ernie Banks as well as other popular Chicago figures such as Stan Mikita. After that they set up a charity golf tournament that used to be held at Medinah and I had a chance as a kid to meet a lot of the same people. I met Minnie Minoso, Stan Mikita, Kevin Butler, Johnny Red Kerr and Tom Dore and got the autographs of a ton of others.

Jack Quinlan?

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 11:18 PM)
My parents moved to this country from South America in the mid 60's. They were in their very early twenties, didn't speak a word of English, didn't have jobs or know anyone here. Think about how ballsy that was.

It amazes me all the time. I often marvel at just how ballsy that is. I imagine myself going to some foreign country where English isn't spoken and seeing how I would fare. It's frightening.