Something cool about your parents

jasonxctf

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 01:18 AM)
My parents moved to this country from South America in the mid 60's. They were in their very early twenties, didn't speak a word of English, didn't have jobs or know anyone here. Think about how ballsy that was.

My parents both immigrated from Europe in the late 50s and early 60s. Two of my aunts from France moved to the US in 1945 or so after marrying GIs. How intimidating is it for a poor French girl to leave her family to be married to a man living in very rural Kansas.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 12:28 AM)
My mom doesn't shave her bikini line when she goes swimming and it shows. Makes a son want to throw up all over the place.

The thread is something COOL about your parents. Not something scary as hell about your parents.

My parents used to live in an apartment down in Chicago. They lived next door to some hotel or something. Well, one night there was a HUGE party going on in one of the hotel rooms, so my mom called the hotel to complain. The front desk of the hotel called up to the room and patched my mom through.

The voice on the other end introduced himself, and my mom asked him if they could possibly keep it down.

"Yes ma'am, I am sorry" he said. Soon enough, the volume of the party quieted down.

The next day my mom looks in the paper, see's the names of who was in town, and puts two and two together. When the guy answered the phone he said "This is Brian Epstein, may I help you?".

My mom asked the manager of The Beatles if The Beatles could quiet their party down...and they obliged.

My dad has a close friend in Texas. This friend happens to be neighbors with Willie Nelson and George W. Bush. My dad has hung out with all of them at the same time on numerous occasions.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
My parents used to live in an apartment down in Chicago. They lived next door to some hotel or something. Well, one night there was a HUGE party going on in one of the hotel rooms, so my mom called the hotel to complain. The front desk of the hotel called up to the room and patched my mom through.

The voice on the other end introduced himself, and my mom asked him if they could possibly keep it down.

"Yes ma'am, I am sorry" he said. Soon enough, the volume of the party quieted down.

The next day my mom looks in the paper, see's the names of who was in town, and puts two and two together. When the guy answered the phone he said "This is Brian Epstein, may I help you?".

My mom asked the manager of The Beatles if The Beatles could quiet their party down...and they obliged.

My dad has a close friend in Texas. This friend happens to be neighbors with Willie Nelson and George W. Bush. My dad has hung out with all of them at the same time on numerous occasions.

Class acts, those Beatles.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
My parents both immigrated from Europe in the late 50s and early 60s. Two of my aunts from France moved to the US in 1945 or so after marrying GIs. How intimidating is it for a poor French girl to leave her family to be married to a man living in very rural Kansas.

That's a great story Rex, it would make a great film.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 06:25 AM)
It amazes me all the time. I often marvel at just how ballsy that is. I imagine myself going to some foreign country where English isn't spoken and seeing how I would fare. It's frightening.

I'm doing this in ... now, 4 days.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 08:50 AM)
My mom recently got her first children's book published.

Thats very cool.

By the way, Soxtalk must be home to some of the coolest parents ever.

My dad sells Real Estate and ummmm...thats all I got.

My mom sold clothes to Roger Clemens, Bill Gross, Joan Crock, and a ton of other famous people whose name escapes my mind and she once got me into a model show when I was like 16. To say the least, I felt like a pimp, but really I was just a pimpled dork oohing and awing at models at a young age.