dan hudson is coming

son of a rude

Former ODU star pitcher, visiting Harbor Park, gets call to majors after helping beat Tides

Daniel Hudson is taken from the game in the third inning and is told he's being promoted from Charlotte to Chicago.

NORFOLK - Daniel Hudson, who grew up watching ballgames at Harbor Park, experienced a dream homecoming there on Tuesday night.

The 22-year-old pitcher, who starred at Princess Anne High School in Virginia Beach and at Old Dominion University, came back as a member of the Charlotte Knights and pitched three shutout innings against the Norfolk Tides. After the third inning, pitching coach Richard Dotson pulled Hudson out of the game and told him he was being called up to the majors by the Chicago White Sox.

"It couldn't have happened in a better place," Hudson said between games of a doubleheader. "To get the news here, at this park with all of my friends and family here, it's crazy to think about."

Hudson said the news caught him by surprise, since he was not among several Charlotte players promoted the day before as major-league rosters expand for September.

"I guess they wanted me to work a few more innings tonight," he said. "When they told me, I did a double-take. They had to tell me twice before I believed them."

Hudson led Princess Anne to the state Group AAA title in 2005 and then pitched three years for ODU before the White Sox drafted him in the fifth round in 2008.

This summer he made quick work of Chicago's farm system, putting up a 14-5 record for four teams before getting called up to Chicago on Tuesday.

"It's an awesome feeling," Hudson said. "Just an amazing feeliing."

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-now-hu...,0,424466.story