Phillips take on Sox season

southsider2k5

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
Maybe we can hire some better advanced scouts.

Bingo! I hate that the scrubs on other teams seem to always murder the White Sox. The Twins are an example, Gomez blows against other teams yet he looks like a HOF'er against us.

I think Phillips had a good take on the sox. They are playing hard. But when the big bats go silent, it seems like they aren't trying. Even if Dye, PK or Thome hit a double, they can't score from 2nd. Or if they get a single, the sox need an extra hit to score them. So it takes two hits to get those guys in.

The Sox big bats haven't been high average guys--except for Dye's .292 avg in 2008. And while Thome has had a nice OBP, Pk and Dye haven't sported big OBP's. That's why Quentin's silent bat this year has been a big loss--someone who can hit for avg, power and have a high OBP. The sox need guys who can hit for a high average [.290 and above]. AJ has hit for that this year but no one has been able to drive him in. The sox need to acquire, either through trade or free agency, another starter who can be a consistent .300 hitter. That's why Figgins would be a very good fit for the sox, even for the $10 mill he'll likely get [though I see the Angels re-signing him so I don't see him as an option]. He doesn't need to steal bases. But his game of making consistent, hard contact, taking a walk, switch hitting and leadoff abilities would serve the sox younger team well going forward.

Getting a healthy and productive Quentin, a Rios that resembles the 2008 version, a full year of Beckham who can hit for over .280 with improved power, would be a nice nucleus. Dye probably will get a decent contract from another team, though he could likely produce numbers like closer to 2008 than this year, with him playing full time as DH. That's why I could see Thome being DH for the Sox in 2010, on a smaller contract than Dye will get. The sox also need his LH bat.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
Well Fields was a hot prospect up until this year. CF was a problem, but that was supposed to be the #9 hitter. LF was supposed to be Quentin. On paper, the White Sox had the most talent. It's very easy to see why he predicted the Sox would win. Why wouldn't he?

Because Detroit and Minny have more talent. Fields was a very iffy prospect at best on 4/1; Center field figured to be a disaster, and it was; Quentin had a poor ST as I recall. As for 2010, all three positions should be much better. I look for Beckham to be a 'leader' next year.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
Because Detroit and Minny have more talent. Fields was a very iffy prospect at best on 4/1; Center field figured to be a disaster, and it was; Quentin had a poor ST as I recall. As for 2010, all three positions should be much better. I look for Beckham to be a 'leader' next year.

No, just no. Detroit got rid of some talent, had a declining Maggs back, had to put Porcello in the rotation and had more question marks than we did. Minny definitely does not have more talent, they just play to their strengths really well. Fields was not an iffy prospect. His rookie year he hit around 25 home runs without playing the whole year. No one considered him an iffy at best prospect. More like a potential Adam Dunn at 3B, which didn't work out. And are you telling me, Quentin having a bad spring training is good enough for you to not count on him? Wow. This guy was the MVP last year until he injured his own self.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
Steve Phillips has always been a fan of the Chicago White Sox - at least the Chicago White Sox as run by Kenny Williams. Had a chance to meet Mr. Phillips back in December, and he was just as bright and engaging as he is on tv. I did forget to ask him how annoying Joe Morgan is, however.

You had me until the Joe Morgan thing. I like Joe's analysis. Maybe he will manage sometime? :headbang

QUOTE (qwerty @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 03:44 PM)
In general steve phillips is about as bad as it gets... and that is way before accounting these articles.

http://vegaswatch.net/2007/09/evaluating-a...redictions.html

http://vegaswatch.net/2008/09/evaluating-a...tions-2008.html

Honestly, I don't think it's fair to judge the guy's predictions versus Pecota. He is not paid to be a statistical model. He is paid to give his own particularly interesting opinions and predictions about teams.

Does Pecota suck then because it was way off in predicting the White Sox?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
You had me until the Joe Morgan thing. I like Joe's analysis. Maybe he will manage sometime? :headbang

Joe Morgan is the worst color man in the game. It's an absolute shame that he's still employed by ESPN, because his drivel makes absolutely no sense whatsoever nearly any time he talks.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)

Joe Morgan for years has said NO to manager offers.. Oakland tried years ago, someone else, too.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
Honestly, I don't think it's fair to judge the guy's predictions versus Pecota. He is not paid to be a statistical model. He is paid to give his own particularly interesting opinions and predictions about teams.

Does Pecota suck then because it was way off in predicting the White Sox?

QUOTE (qwerty @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 03:44 PM)
In general steve phillips is about as bad as it gets... and that is way before accounting these articles.

http://vegaswatch.net/2007/09/evaluating-a...redictions.html

http://vegaswatch.net/2008/09/evaluating-a...tions-2008.html

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
No, just no. Detroit got rid of some talent, had a declining Maggs back, had to put Porcello in the rotation and had more question marks than we did. Minny definitely does not have more talent, they just play to their strengths really well. Fields was not an iffy prospect. His rookie year he hit around 25 home runs without playing the whole year. No one considered him an iffy at best prospect. More like a potential Adam Dunn at 3B, which didn't work out. And are you telling me, Quentin having a bad spring training is good enough for you to not count on him? Wow. This guy was the MVP last year until he injured his own self.

I still think Fields was an 'iffy' prospect on 4/1. True, he hit those home runs his rookie year (2007??); then, he was a great prospect. Crede came back, Fields went down, and he struggled ever since. I don't believe he excelled in ST. Hence, an 'iffy' prospect. Quentin..... wasn't he hurt in ST? Tough to count on when you're hurt. Beckham was not yet a factor. Pods was elsewhere. Getz was still a question mark. Combine all that and the CF dilemma, the Sox were a mediocre team at best coming out of ST. They had holes all over the place. Detroit and Minny had much more talent on 4/1 IMHO. Should be better next year.

Fields was on fire in ST. Fields struggled in 2008 after Crede came back, but no small part of that was because he was on some bad knees that he had cleaned up in the offseason. Quentin struggled in ST but he was also coming back from that wrist injury last year, and he started the season absolutely killing the ball before this foot thing took over.