White Sox September To-Do/See List

Chisoxfn

White Sox September To-Do/See List

By Mario Scalise

When you go from second place and as close as two games out to third place and as 7 games out, and your GM trades two vets and cash for a couple minor leaguers at the waiver wire deadline, it's time to start looking at next year. But with a month to play, let's look at the present with a September to-do/see list for the free-falling White Sox.

In no particular order...Rest of the Article

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 04:46 PM)
I still haven't written this season off. We are 6.5 out with 28 games to be played. And Detroit is far from spectacular. I'll give it 10 days before I slit my wrists.

We also have six head to head game against the Tigers at the end of the year, It's a small chance, but not altogether impossible.

See if Alex Rios shows signs of not being a waste of money for the next several years. He was a big acquisition for a team in the playoff hunt, and since his arrival, the team has lunged out of it. It isn't because of his play, but he certainly didn't help matters with his 16 strikeouts, one walk and .167 batting average.

Good article once again.

Resting Thornton is a good idea. The stuff about Lexi and the six man rotation was good as well. The 2-8 road trip heading into Wrigley ended our season. Time to look ahead. If we could win 10 in a row, we'd be back in it, but we're not going to do that with our upcoming schedule. We'll be lucky, very lucky to split that Boston series after likely losing in Wrigley.

I know 6.5 games doesn't look like a lot, but in reality it's a ton at this stage of the game. Detroit playing only .500 ball from here on out would force the Sox to play nearly .750 to get into a dead heat with them...and that's not considering the Twinkies are also ahead of us.

The thought of the Sox going something like 21-7 over the last 28 games is laughable to think about.

I believe this season is done.

Edited by kwolf68

I still haven't written this season off. We are 6.5 out with 28 games to be played. And Detroit is far from spectacular. I'll give it 10 days before I slit my wrists.

If the Tigers win tonight and split the 2 other games to even up the total games played with the Sox then its a 7 game lead.

Chicago goes 5-1 at the very least vs Detroit would mean a 3 game deficit with 22 to play.

Would have to hope the Tigers go 9-13 in those 22 games to have any realistic chance for a 1 game playoff.

Season is ova.

Agreed with most of this, but there's no reason to get a look at Carlos Torres. If we have an option on Freddy then it will probably be exercised because it looks like Freddy's fastball is back. Dan Hudson is our #6 if we keep Freddy, and if not then Hudson or a new acquisition becomes #5. The Hynick kid we just picked up is probably right there with Torres if not above him.

Torres will be our Charlie Haeger/Felix Diaz/Josh Stewart, etc. except because of depth he won't get as many chances as those guys got. And there's no way we stick that arm in the pen when we'll have all kinds of power arms competing with each other for a job or two in ST.

Love the optimism, Kenny, but don't understand it. Nice win today, but we just went 2-8 after a 3-3 homestand against two pathetic teams.

We truly need to win about 10 in a row starting now to have any chance and we're not going to do that.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 01:01 AM)
We play 6 games against the Tigers, so in theory we could get to 6 games back, play at the same pace as the Tigers, and then we could sweep them in both series' and force another Game 163.

I'm just sayin...

Would also need the Twins to flounder a bit too.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 01:23 AM)
Love the optimism, Kenny, but don't understand it. Nice win today, but we just went 2-8 after a 3-3 homestand against two pathetic teams.

We truly need to win about 10 in a row starting now to have any chance and we're not going to do that.

Ah, I see now. I was wondering why I had a turd in my Wheaties this morning...

Don't stop belieeeeeeevin'!

I've long said I like Carlos Torres. More than most and he's now got a 3.86 ERA on the season (albeit just a few games). Still, he's got a shot and I look forward to seeing what he does as he gets more comfortable. He could be a really nice 4th/5th starter, imo. And every team could use some of those (especially at his price...ie league min).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
I've long said I like Carlos Torres. More than most and he's now got a 3.86 ERA on the season (albeit just a few games). Still, he's got a shot and I look forward to seeing what he does as he gets more comfortable. He could be a really nice 4th/5th starter, imo. And every team could use some of those (especially at his price...ie league min).

If they can convince him to throw strikes, he will be effective.