2016 Olympics

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
yeah sounds like damage control to me

I actually am not really sure this is anti-americanism....when news first broke of chicago making the final 4, we were the CLEAR longshot supposedly...we heard all the rumors that chicago gained ground and that it was between chicago and rio but IMO that was probably just spin from local media to make this a bigger story...i think its likely that we were never really a front runner in this thing

Shouldn't even need to be damage control, the whole "political risk" angle is dumb and shouldn't even be talked about really.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
1st round -

Madrid 28

Rio 26

Tokyo 22

Chicago 18

2nd round -

Rio 46

Madrid 29

Tokyo 20

Final -

Rio 66

Madrid 32

Interesting. So, votes that MAY have gone to chicago went with the sympathetic Madrid option. That would have gotten the USA in the 2nd round... and probably the finals. But int he End, yea... Rio would have taken it.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
Interesting. So, votes that MAY have gone to chicago went with the sympathetic Madrid option. That would have gotten the USA in the 2nd round... and probably the finals. But int he End, yea... Rio would have taken it.

That's impossible to know

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
Between the first round and the last, Madrid gained a total of 3 votes. EVERY other vote went to Rio.

So? The votes Rio gained came from people previously supporting Chicago and/or Tokyo.

Hence, you can't say what would have happened if say Madrid went out first.

Interesting point brought up by Boers and Bernsie that I had COMPLETELY forgot about.

The Chicgao bid failure may have NOTHING to do with their presentation, or over all bid, or the presence of Obama... there is a BIG fight going on right now between the USOC and IOC over revenue sharing and a USOC run Olympic TV network. Not giving Chicago the bid could be seen as a giant F-you and middle finger to the USOC.

More info here:

July 9th, 2009- The sizzling debate between the U.S. Olympic Committee and the International Olympic Committee over the Colorado Springs-based organization’s planned launch of a cable TV channel is growing long legs. And now it’s threatening Chicago’s bid for the Olympics.

An IOC executive board member’s pouting – Richard Carrion of Puerto Rico blasted the USOC on Wednesday for partnering with Comcast to form the U.S. Olympic Network – has turned into an all-out sobbing session by the IOC, concerned that a second Olympic channel in the U.S. will threaten NBC-operated Universal Sports.

In a statement released Thursday, the IOC said, “We were aware that the USOC had been considering a new Olympic broadcast network, but we have never been presented with a plan, and we had assumed that we would have an opportunity to discuss unresolved questions together before the project moved forward. It is for this reason that the IOC is disappointed that (the) USOC acted unilaterally and, in our view, in haste by announcing their plans before we had had a chance to consider together the ramifications.”

The IOC said “the proposed channel raises complex legal and contractual issues and could have a negative impact (on) our relationships with other Olympic broadcasters and sponsors, including our U.S. TV partner, NBC. The IOC is seeking additional information on (the) USOC’s plans and remain hopeful that we can work through the issues and reach a solution that works for all the many partners involved and for the American public in particular.”

Who’s going to suffer? Not the USOC, whose relationship with the IOC already has been strained by a heated debate over the amount of U.S. TV rights fees and global marketing revenues it receives. Not the American public, which largely doesn’t pay much attention to the Olympic world unless Michael Phelps is swimming or Shaun White is snowboarding.

The guys in Chicago are going to suffer. So are Bob Ctvrtlik and Robert Fasulo, the gurus of international relations at the USOC who have positioned the Windy City for a quiet sprint to the finish that’s suddenly turning into a noticeable limp.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

Good riddance. I think its hilarious how surprised people are that we didnt get it. You mean you believed the US and chicago media that Oprah and Obama were going to put us over the top? Who would have thought! The same sentiments are being echoed in the local news stations of Tokyo, Madrid and Rio during the entire process as well. Do you think those news stations and papers were talking about how great the lakefront in Chicago is?

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
Good riddance. I think its hilarious how surprised people are that we didnt get it. You mean you believed the US and chicago media that Oprah and Obama were going to put us over the top? Who would have thought! The same sentiments are being echoed in the local news stations of Tokyo, Madrid and Rio during the entire process as well. Do you think those news stations and papers were talking about how great the lakefront in Chicago is?

If you read the thread you posted in, at least some of it, you'd see it wasn't so much surprise we didn't get it. It was surprise we were eliminated first, which NO ONE I have spoken to would have guessed.

I noticed reading the comments on other website that a local media outlet (ABC7) suggested all contracts were already awarded for construction work prior to the announcement of the games. I don't know how common of a practice this is, but does that sound right to anyone? I suppose since all the details were already set up and finalized it wouldn't be an issue, but it just seems strange to me that seven years before the games were to be set in Chicago winning bids had already been accepted.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
If you read the thread you posted in, at least some of it, you'd see it wasn't so much surprise we didn't get it. It was surprise we were eliminated first, which NO ONE I have spoken to would have guessed.

I'm not talking about us folks, this is one of the most half empty groups of people out there, I wouldnt think that too many folks on here would have gotten caught up in it. I am specifically talking about the people shedding tears on the streets downtown. The people who are so surprised its almost as if Michael Jordan missed a game winning shot.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
I noticed reading the comments on other website that a local media outlet (ABC7) suggested all contracts were already awarded for construction work prior to the announcement of the games. I don't know how common of a practice this is, but does that sound right to anyone? I suppose since all the details were already set up and finalized it wouldn't be an issue, but it just seems strange to me that seven years before the games were to be set in Chicago winning bids had already been accepted.

Daley im sure promised ALOT of contracts to his buddies and their buddies. I ran into a guy at the oil express place today that was talking about how he bought up some property on the south side and now has to sell it.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
Interesting point brought up by Boers and Bernsie that I had COMPLETELY forgot about.

The Chicgao bid failure may have NOTHING to do with their presentation, or over all bid, or the presence of Obama... there is a BIG fight going on right now between the USOC and IOC over revenue sharing and a USOC run Olympic TV network. Not giving Chicago the bid could be seen as a giant F-you and middle finger to the USOC.

More info here:

You gotta love the IOC... they want our money, but they don't want us. Hopefully the USOC doesn't give them a damned penny.

So now that I've had some time to digest this, some thoughts:

It sucks.

2. I'm really happy Rio got it over Madrid. Tokyo is a pretty cool city and they could've shown off a lot. Rio is a beautiful city. However, I'm really kind of scared/apprehensive about how they are going to take care of the crime rate. We talk about Atlanta shipping the poor to new mexico, well, Rio has many many more poor people and a damn near militaristic drug trade. It already has a reputation for being a high-theft area for tourists, already a high murder rate. So, I worry what they'll do. BUT, the good news is perhaps these upgrades to infrastructure, and money can help bring more and more business and that money can be used to educate the favelas and provide some chance of mobility.

Either way, Rio is kind of a gamble where stuff could go wrong.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
The whole Obama not wanting to go thing was not a spinoff. I've heard other outlets stating the same not using Chuck Todd as a source. And someone posted what he said before me, hell before Chicago was eliminated.

Are you honestly saying that Daley has made Obama his b****? Because really, that's worse. The mayor of Chicago should hold no sway over the President of the United States.

Edited by Thunderbolt

So it was a defeat for the USOC?

"That's my impression, yes," Oswald said.

Another IOC member, Canada's Richard Pound, disagreed.

"I don't know that it says anything to them (the United States and the USOC)," Pound said. "When you look at the margin, it was clear there was an effort to make sure Rio got this, and the only meaningful threat to Rio would have been Chicago. So all the friends of Rio were urged to try and make sure Chicago didn't get into that position.

"I think there were a lot of people saying, 'If we don't get it, we'll support you but we've got to stop Chicago.' And that's sport politics, not anything else. It's election management. The Europeans and the Asians are much better at this (in the IOC) than we are. They are better at managing elections and thinking strategically. We kind of think if you've got the best bid, the world will recognize that, and these decisions are made solely on the merits of the bid. Well, not solely."

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/10...t-was-usoc.html

I find it hilarious IOC members schemed against Chicago. They were never going to give us the opportunity to compete with Rio.

The whole "not wanting the Olympics" pre-vote opinion is just a shock to me. Sure, they'll be taxes, but you're going to pay more taxes for repairing stuff later anyway.

Why not want the world's greatest athletic spectacle in your backyard just once in your lifetime? The opportunity may never come again.

I kind of wish all the people who didnt support Chicago would move to Rio. Its such a joke to sell out your own city, I just cant stand disloyalty.

I dont care if you hate Daley, hate the Olympics, you should represent for your home no matter what. Its shameful and now Chicago looks like an international joke.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
Are you honestly saying that Daley has made Obama his b****? Because really, that's worse. The mayor of Chicago should hold no sway over the President of the United States.

Guess you've never heard the stories about how Kennedy made sure he flew to Chicago as to not upset the older Mayor Daley.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
I kind of wish all the people who didnt support Chicago would move to Rio. Its such a joke to sell out your own city, I just cant stand disloyalty.

I dont care if you hate Daley, hate the Olympics, you should represent for your home no matter what. Its shameful and now Chicago looks like an international joke.

Of course you are basing that on the assumption that the olympics would be a positive for everyone who is against it in Chicago, which is a pretty broad assumption.