Clayton Richard

oldsox

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
Another strong game for Richard. Russell in relief. I think the Padres like the trade.

He has an ERA of 4.50 and a WHIP of over 1.6 with the Padres.

I'm not rooting for the guy to fail. In fact, I hope he does great, but he hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire over there.

But why must we always create threads about people we trade away or constantly bring them up elsewhere every time after they have a good game?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
He has an ERA of 4.50 and a WHIP of over 1.6 with the Padres.

I'm not rooting for the guy to fail. In fact, I hope he does great, but he hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire over there.

But why must we always create threads about people we trade away or constantly bring them up elsewhere every time after they have a good game?

I think we should just have a former-player thread, for all this stuff. Seems silly to start new threads about it.

LOL, so let's look at some splits since he got traded.

In Petco:

4 GS

3 Wins

24 IP

22 K

12 BB

1.88 ERA

1.17 WHIP

.190 BAA

Outside Of Petco:

3 GS

12 IP

13 ER

6 K

10 BB

21 Hits Allowed

That's right - he's allowed 31 hits & walks in 12 IP away from Petco. Do the math - that's a WHIP ratio of worse than 2.50. We're talking worst in baseball here.

Y'all know that I could probably pitch complete game shutouts at Petco, right?

I had some fake minor league expert douche try to tell me that he's gonna turn into something because he added velocity. Don't talk to me.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)

In Petco:

4 GS

3 Wins

24 IP

22 K

12 BB

1.88 ERA

1.17 WHIP

.190 BAA

Outside Of Petco:

3 GS

12 IP

13 ER

6 K

10 BB

21 Hits Allowed

That's right - he's allowed 31 hits & walks in 12 IP away from Petco. Do the math - that's a WHIP ratio of worse than 2.50. We're talking worst in baseball here.

I had some fake minor league expert douche try to tell me that he's gonna turn into something because he added velocity. Don't talk to me.

Do you also realize that even in Petco, where he has a sparkling ERA under 2, he still has only gone 24 innings in 4 starts? With that ERA? Pitch count, pitch count, pitch count.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)

In Petco:

4 GS

3 Wins

24 IP

22 K

12 BB

1.88 ERA

1.17 WHIP

.190 BAA

Outside Of Petco:

3 GS

12 IP

13 ER

6 K

10 BB

21 Hits Allowed

Well, that's true, but that would tend to raise a few doubts about Peavy, wouldn't it? And I LIKE the trade -- just think it's important to be consistent.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 10:51 PM)
Well, that's true, but that would tend to raise a few doubts about Peavy, wouldn't it? And I LIKE the trade -- just think it's important to be consistent.

Check out some of Peavy's road splits over the years:

2007:

15 GS

10-1 Record

98 IP

101 K

34 BB

2.57 ERA

1.05 WHIP

.195 BAA

2005:

13 GS

6-4 Record

87 IP

86 K

23 BB

2.98 ERA

1.12 WHIP

.229 BAA

2004:

13 GS

8-3 Record

81 IP

78 K

22 BB

2.33 ERA

1.19 WHIP

.246 BAA

2006 & 2008 were nothing to write home about, but when you add it all up, you have one of the best road SPs in the business.

MOST PLAYERS WORTH A s*** IN ANY SPORT PLAY BETTER AT HOME!!!!!!

I LIKE BEING IN MY HOUSE BETTER THAN THE DOUCHE'S DOWN THE BLOCK!!!!!!

THIS IS NOT THE CASE WITH NICK SWISHER.

ALSO THERE ARE MORE HOME RUNS HIT AT THE CELL BECAUSE THE SOX ARE A POWER TEAM AND THEY PLAY HALF OF THEIR GAMES THERE.

Sorry for the caps, carry on.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
MOST PLAYERS WORTH A s*** IN ANY SPORT PLAY BETTER AT HOME!!!!!!

Yes, the vast majority of SPs are much more comfortable at home, which makes Peavy's road accomplishments all the more amazing.

Also, Clayton Richard isn't too familiar with Petco as of yet, but that isn't stopping him from putting up great home numbers.

I am not criticizing the trade for Peavy. Another gutsy go for broke move by our GM. To say that we automatically won the trade big time before Peavy even throws a pitch is a bit premature. Richard should be a decent back end of the rotation guy. All the Padres need is for one of the other three players to be productive and then the trade is OK as far as they're conerned. The Sox need Peavy to be the ace he's been advertised as. Again, I'm not second guessing or criticizing the trade, but as is usual you need the luxury of time before you can begin to evaluate it properly.

Edited by SI1020

Hope they do because they got raped. At least maybe they can find something positive to hold on to.

Some Sox fans I feel are too defensive.

They didn't get raped. They got some good talent in the trade.

Hopefully Peavy will pan out. In this day and age you never know with starting pitchers. You can't guarantee me Peavy will be outstanding in the Cell, you just can't.

I hope he is next year. I hope he's a great No. 1 but there are no guarantees and the Pods didn't get raped on the deal.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 05:13 PM)
Where's the Dexter Carter and Aaron Poreda performance threads? Oh that's right. That wouldn't serve the obvious purpose here.

1. Richard has been solid for the Padres since the trade; he had one bad start that skewed his stats. He is 4-1 for a last place team.

2. Carter is not a major leaguer; stats not relevant yet.

3. Don't have an obvious purpose. All I said was I think the Pads like the trade.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 01:28 AM)
Richard is 4-1 for the Pods? Me thinks we could have used him on the road trip from hell which only ended our season while Peavy was rehabbing.

he has two quality starts with the Padres, these past two. And in 2 of the wins he got, he only went 5.2 IP, and gave up 3 and 4 runs. The Sox would not have won those starts. It's why W-L is one of the worst statistics to use in regards to pitcher evaluation.

Richard is 4-1 for the Pods? Me thinks we could have used him on the road trip from hell which only ended our season while Peavy was rehabbing.

Richard certainly isn't the difference between third and first place. If the Sox waited until the offseason, there was a pretty good chance Peavy would have had more suitors. Its a great trade. Peavy is an ace. He's better than any White Sox pitcher.

We were 2-3 in the first five starts that the fifth starter went after the Peavy deal. Even if you replace those, we are still 6 out.