Peter King picks Bears for Super Bowl

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bears have an absolutely horrible secondary, which is going to make this difficult. In addition to that, you need a very good pash rush to cover up for a horrible secondary, and the Bears have a below average pash rush as well. It sounds weird since it is so backwards based on history but it really is true, the Bears offense is not going to be their problem this year, their defense is.

WR isn't even our biggest problem. Our secondary f***ing sucks.

If Tommy Harris isn't a beast, our pass defense is going to suffer and so will the entire team.

I've heard that the Bears COULD sign Chris McAlister. That's definitely something I'd say yes to.

Our defense has looked very good this pre-season, I think with an offense that has the ability to sustain long drives we will see a revived defensive unit also under the playcalling of Lovie Smith. The good thing about the cover 2 is it doesnt require the corners to be super talented although I think when Bowman/Tillman are healthy, we are pretty solid.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
WR isn't even our biggest problem. Our secondary f***ing sucks.

Look, dad, this guy knows what he's talking about!

I get so tired hearing about the WR corps when we've got Forte and Olsen on top of them. Our secondary is still atrocious.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 12:39 AM)
Look, dad, this guy knows what he's talking about!

I get so tired hearing about the WR corps when we've got Forte and Olsen on top of them. Our secondary is still atrocious.

If our line applies more pressure, then I think our secondary will be fine (at least average). I can see us making the superbowl, sure, I can also see us missing the playoffs. Mark my words, it will be up to the line.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 12:25 AM)
If our line applies more pressure, then I think our secondary will be fine (at least average). I can see us making the superbowl, sure, I can also see us missing the playoffs. Mark my words, it will be up to the line.

Not calling you out, but all 32 teams in the NFL can say that. Whether their goal is winning the Super Bowl or winning the division or winning a game, it always comes down to the trenches.

Not that preseason predictions mean a damn thing (they're worthless. Especially in the NFL), but Peter King was either bored and just said to myself "Eh, I guess I'll just pick the Bears to win the NFC to shock some folks" or he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. This team has MAJOR questions marks at WR, O-line, D-line, secondary. I'm not sippin' the kool-aid that some are. The WR core is awful. I don't care what anybody says. Can Cutler make a difference? That remains to be seen. Can Orlando Pace not only stay healthy all year, but can he play at anything close to a pro-bowl level? Can Chris Williams hold down the RT spot? What will we get from a totally unproven Frank Omiyale? That's just on offense. Will our D-line, the same front D-line that was just a step above pathetic last year, rebound this year? Other than supposed D-line guru coach Rod Marinelli in the fold, why am I supposed to believe they will be that much, if at all, better? We've got crappy corners (Tillman is the only decent one when healthy) and safeties that can't cover anybody. I'm sorry. I'm not usually this pessimistic. But seeing is believing in this case.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 05:21 PM)
There may be few 35-31 score games this year.

Yep, and it'll probably start week 1.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 05:36 PM)
My SB pick is San Diego vs Atlanta but I'm sure Norv will somehow screw it up.

That's also my pick. San Diego gets Merriman back, they drafted Larry English out of NIU, rumor has it LT and Gates are 100%, and Vincent Jackson is playing for a new contract.

Also, Atlanta lost Michael Boley and Harry Douglas, but they gained Tony Gonzalez. If they don't make it, my backup pick in the NFC is Philadelphia.

However, I hope I'm wrong and it's the Bears. :)

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 08:27 AM)
Not that preseason predictions mean a damn thing (they're worthless. Especially in the NFL), but Peter King was either bored and just said to myself "Eh, I guess I'll just pick the Bears to win the NFC to shock some folks" or he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. This team has MAJOR questions marks at WR, O-line, D-line, secondary. I'm not sippin' the kool-aid that some are. The WR core is awful. I don't care what anybody says. Can Cutler make a difference? That remains to be seen. Can Orlando Pace not only stay healthy all year, but can he play at anything close to a pro-bowl level? Can Chris Williams hold down the RT spot? What will we get from a totally unproven Frank Omiyale? That's just on offense. Will our D-line, the same front D-line that was just a step above pathetic last year, rebound this year? Other than supposed D-line guru coach Rod Marinelli in the fold, why am I supposed to believe they will be that much, if at all, better? We've got crappy corners (Tillman is the only decent one when healthy) and safeties that can't cover anybody. I'm sorry. I'm not usually this pessimistic. But seeing is believing in this case.

Every team has weaknesses, but I object to some of those complaints. Our offensive line is looking pretty damn good with the additions of Pace, Omiyale, Schaeffer, and Williams.

We also have the best DT rotation in the business, even without Dvoracek.

Tommie Harris

Marcus Harrison

Anthony Adams

Israel Idonije

Jarron Gilbert

^ Nobody in the NFL w/ the exception of the Giants is seeing that DT depth. Dvoracek made it a landslide when he was healthy. We're gonna be stuffing the run something fierce, as per usual.

Also, anybody that's been paying close attention to these preseason games can see that the Bears are gonna have an effective passing attack with Olsen/Clark/Forte/Hester/Bennett. The key ingredient is Cutler's ability to buy time, no doubt.

There are too many positives here. Just sit back and enjoy.