Peter King picks Bears for Super Bowl

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
But we have pretty much the best receiving TE tandem in the business, and Forte is probably a top 5 receiving threat in the league out of the HB position, correct?

Give this more thought, dude.

Forte is solid catching the ball out of the backfield. Olsen and Clark are good TE's, but they don't scare me.

Every team has problems. As a pundit, unless you want to offer the same picks as everyone else, you have to look at the teams that are ranked 4-8 and find the sleeper and build a case. Chicago is a mojor city and sucking up to those fans is far better than say Minny. Good career choice.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
I hate to rain on your parade, but I just don't see it. They have the worst WR core in football and the secondary is just bad.

It's not like the WR core and secondary were any better last year. In fact, it pretty much couldn't have been worse.

Yet, that team finished 9-7 and was a game away from the playoffs.

Seriously folks, stop trying to rain on other people's parades when the same team minus Jay Cutler won 9 games.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
We also have the best DT rotation in the business, even without Dvoracek.

Tommie Harris

Marcus Harrison

Anthony Adams

Israel Idonije

Jarron Gilbert

None of these players are impact players, considering Harris will never be the same player we saw before the injuries.

How many years have you folks watched the Green Bay Packers when Brett Favre was in his prime? Do you remember how many receivers he made better by just being an actual QB? I think that one of the symptoms of not having experienced a talented QB is also not witnessing good WR play. The two tend to go hand-in-hand.

My guess is Cutler is going to distribute the ball well, with Olsen, Forte, Hester, Clark, and Earl Bennett making up a fairly formidable receiving corps.

As others have said, the problem is not going to be the offense, but possibly the defense. But I also agree that having a competent offense is going to make our defense much stronger as well.

I see 11-5 and a run deep into the playoffs.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 01:30 AM)
I think time off has people forgetting just how good Forte is. And our line is better.

How about the Bears finishing 9-7 last season and adding a few major acquisitions without any significant losses, on top of the 32nd ranked schedule. (though, I will be the first to admit the schedule is much tougher than it looks mainly because Green Bay might be the best 6-10 team I ever seen.)

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)
Every team has weaknesses, but I object to some of those complaints. Our offensive line is looking pretty damn good with the additions of Pace, Omiyale, Schaeffer, and Williams.

Orlando Pace has missed 26 games in the last 3 years (although he did start 14 last year). He's 34 and past his prime now. People seem to be looking more at the name than the actual player. I don't feel too good about the chances of him staying healthy all season. Omiyale and Schaeffer (and a few Browns fans I know say Schaeffer is absolute garbage) are total unknowns at this point. Chris Williams is also an unknown. And he's going to have to adjust to a new position. The depth might look better compared to last year. But the line overall is a big ?.

We also have the best DT rotation in the business, even without Dvoracek.

Tommie Harris

Marcus Harrison

Anthony Adams

Israel Idonije

Jarron Gilbert

^ Nobody in the NFL w/ the exception of the Giants is seeing that DT depth. Dvoracek made it a landslide when he was healthy. We're gonna be stuffing the run something fierce, as per usual.

Stopping the run wasn't our problem last year. Generating a consistent pass-rush most definitely was. And when you have a secondary as bad as ours, that's a recipe for total disaster (I.E. last year).

Also, anybody that's been paying close attention to these preseason games can see that the Bears are gonna have an effective passing attack with Olsen/Clark/Forte/Hester/Bennett. The key ingredient is Cutler's ability to buy time, no doubt.

There are too many positives here. Just sit back and enjoy.

Unless you're name is Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez, I don't think it's a good thing when your TE is by far and away your top receiving threat. I really like Olsen and I think he's going to have a breakout year. But in today's NFL you have to have some form of vertical passing game to keep defenses honest. You can only go to your TE or dump it off to your RB so often.

I'm not predicting 3-13 or anything. But this team has a lot of legitimate concerns. With that said, I'm f***ing aching for some football right now. I'm extremely excited.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 06:06 PM)
It's not like the WR core and secondary were any better last year. In fact, it pretty much couldn't have been worse.

Yet, that team finished 9-7 and was a game away from the playoffs.

Seriously folks, stop trying to rain on other people's parades when the same team minus Jay Cutler won 9 games.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 01:03 AM)
How about the Bears finishing 9-7 last season and adding a few major acquisitions without any significant losses, on top of the 32nd ranked schedule. (though, I will be the first to admit the schedule is much tougher than it looks mainly because Green Bay might be the best 6-10 team I ever seen.)

I really hate this line of thinking. So because we went 9-7 last year and added Cutler it's to be automatically assumed that will be better? It's not that simple. Last year is over. Totally different circumstances, schedules, ect.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 07:00 AM)
It's not automatically assumed, but it shows why the arguments that they don't have a chance don't work because by just about every measure this team was worse last year and was a bonehead play away or two from making the playoffs.

Who said they didn't have a chance? They could go 14-2 and win the whole thing. I'm just saying that going into the season that this team has A LOT of legitimate concerns. And for me, last year means nothing. We're playing a brand new schedule (except for the teams we play in our division, obviously). Different players, coaches, systems, ect, ect, ect. The NFL is easily the most unpredictable of the 4 major sports (I guess hockey is a sport).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 07:55 AM)
Who said they didn't have a chance? They could go 14-2 and win the whole thing. I'm just saying that going into the season that this team has A LOT of legitimate concerns. And for me, last year means nothing. We're playing a brand new schedule (except for the teams we play in our division, obviously). Different players, coaches, systems, ect, ect, ect. The NFL is easily the most unpredictable of the 4 major sports (I guess hockey is a sport).

Right, but our schedule this year is easier than last, we have upgraded the team, and upgraded the coaching staff. So, to predict a record worse than last year, which we very easily could have won 10-11 games is a bit baffling.

Edited by SoxFan101

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 04:59 AM)
I really hate this line of thinking. So because we went 9-7 last year and added Cutler it's to be automatically assumed that will be better? It's not that simple. Last year is over. Totally different circumstances, schedules, ect.

Of course it isn't.

But whenever you add a franchise QB who can change your team's offense, improve your linebackers, offensive line, and own one of the easiest schedules in the NFL with 7 easy wins on it, you SHOULD be better than you were last year.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
OMGZ WHAT ABOUT KYLE ORTON AND REX GROSSMAN WHAT WE GOING TO DO?!

WHAT IF CUTLER GETS HURT? WE'LL HAVE TO USE CALEB HANIE! NOOOO!

Well actually, if that did happen, we're pretty much f***ed to begin with.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
You can say that for a lot of teams and their starting QBs. Although, Hanie was impressive last night.

It's the Browns...lol.

But yeah, Jim Sorgi's been Manning's backup forever.

He hasn't seen the field outside of some meaningless games at the end of the season.

Franchise QBs usually don't get hurt.

Cutler's never been hurt, I don't think that should be much of a worry.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
Tommie Harris

Marcus Harrison

Anthony Adams

Israel Idonije

Jarron Gilbert

^ Nobody in the NFL w/ the exception of the Giants is seeing that DT depth. Dvoracek made it a landslide when he was healthy.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 12:46 AM)
None of these players are impact players, considering Harris will never be the same player we saw before the injuries.

Not eveybody is gonna be Kevin Williams or Pat Williams. My point is that we have arguably the deepest DT rotation in the business, even without Dvoracek. What this means is that our 3rd and 4th string guys could be starting for most NFL teams. From what I've seen of Gilbert, he has freakish ability, but it's gonna take him a while to get settled in. I don't think there's any way you're gonna be able to stop him one-on-one in the long run, though.

Don't front on this DT rotation, my polish hombre.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
Not eveybody is gonna be Kevin Williams or Pat Williams. My point is that we have arguably the deepest DT rotation in the business, even without Dvoracek. What this means is that our 3rd and 4th string guys could be starting for most NFL teams. From what I've seen of Gilbert, he has freakish ability, but it's gonna take him a while to get settled in. I don't think there's any way you're gonna be able to stop him one-on-one in the long run, though.

Don't front on this DT rotation, my polish hombre.

I'd need to see the Bears consistently get to the QB before I annoint a rotation built from an oft-injured star and a bunch of ok pieces the best DT rotation in the league. That's just downright incorrect.