Peter King picks Bears for Super Bowl

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)
I'd need to see the Bears consistently get to the QB before I annoint a rotation built from an oft-injured star and a bunch of ok pieces the best DT rotation in the league. That's just downright incorrect.

Right off the bat, you got the wrong perspective.

You'll see the value of our DT rotation in the rushing yards allowed stats.

It's hard to believe that people who follow this team on a regular basis don't know what we have. Are Marcus Harrison, Anthony Adams, and Israel Idonije really that slept on? Please tell me there's someone else out there that knows a thing or two about defense?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)

You'll see the value of our DT rotation in the rushing yards allowed stats.

It's hard to believe that people who follow this team on a regular basis don't know what we have. Are Marcus Harrison, Anthony Adams, and Israel Idonije really that slept on? Please tell me there's someone else out there that knows a thing or two about defense?

In a cover 2, the DT's need to be able to rush the pass more than in another system.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 09:17 PM)
In a cover 2, the DT's need to be able to rush the pass more than in another system.

Consuming blockers and clogging the interior are responsibilities 1A and 1B for our DTs. That's what Tommie Harris, Marcus Harrison, and Anthony Adams will provide.

When it's a pass play, you'll see 'em pushing the interior blockers back towards the QB. Sacks should be few and far between for DTs in any system, because it's more about freeing up your linebackers and making it easy for your DEs to do some real damage, innit?

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)
Consuming blockers and clogging the interior are responsibilities 1A and 1B for our DTs. That's what Tommie Harris, Marcus Harrison, and Anthony Adams will provide.

When it's a pass play, you'll see 'em pushing the interior blockers back towards the QB. Sacks should be few and far between for DTs in any system, because it's more about freeing up your linebackers and making it easy for your DEs to do some real damage, innit?

man we did not draft small, fast DTs because they are good at collecting blockers.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)

No dude, you have the wrong perspective. We get lit up anytime we play a decent RB, we just get the Lions twice a year which helps out. We play cover-2, you HAVE to get to the passer when playing cover-2.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
Of course it isn't.

But whenever you add a franchise QB who can change your team's offense, improve your linebackers, offensive line, and own one of the easiest schedules in the NFL with 7 easy wins on it, you SHOULD be better than you were last year.

Again, the unpredictably of the NFL makes schedule rankings meaningless. Now there's no denying that we've upgraded the QB spot, obviously. But how do we know at this point the offensive line is improved? We're not getting the Orlando Pace of 2001. Most Bear fans, including myself, had never even heard of Frank Omiyale before we got him. Chris Williams is basically a redshirt freshman this year, and he will have to adapt to a new position. I feel pretty good about Kreutz and Garza (although Olin ain't gettin' any younger). I just don't see how anybody can say the line is better than last year going in. I love our LB core. Especially if Brian can get back to being Brian. But it all begins and ends with the D-line. And our secondary scares me to death.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 06:02 PM)
Again, the unpredictably of the NFL makes schedule rankings meaningless. Now there's no denying that we've upgraded the QB spot, obviously. But how do we know at this point the offensive line is improved? We're not getting the Orlando Pace of 2001. Most Bear fans, including myself, had never even heard of Frank Omiyale before we got him. Chris Williams is basically a redshirt freshman this year, and he will have to adapt to a new position. I feel pretty good about Kreutz and Garza (although Olin ain't gettin' any younger). I just don't see how anybody can say the line is better than last year going in. I love our LB core. Especially if Brian can get back to being Brian. But it all begins and ends with the D-line. And our secondary scares me to death.

You're right, most of the guys that we did get to "improve" our offensive line are unknowns. I didn't know who Kevin Shaffer or Frank Omiyale were (turns out Shaffer is ranked as an 86 in Madden and Omiyale is a 77, so they can't be too bad).

Somebody said that Browns fans said Shaffer sucked. I guess I'll have to take their word since it's so hard to judge offensive linemen based off statistics (since there really are none). However, Shaffer was a starter on the 06 Falcons, where they rushed for almost 3,000 yards. So you'd assume he's a decent run blocker.

Orlando Pace is old, but then again, so were John Tait and Fred Miller last year. He'll hold up.

I'm not too sure about Williams. He's inexperienced and I'm surprised that he will start.

If anything, I think we increased the depth of our O-line. Chris Williams was not healthy last year, so there's one to add for depth. Omiyale replaces Fred Miller and Pace basically replaces Tait. Shaffer is brought in as a replacement for St. Clair. Overall, I think the line is improved. Even though there seems to be one or two question marks. There were a bunch of question marks last year as well and the line ended up alright.

About the schedule thing, if you look at it, there's 7 teams on there that aren't very good. Can they turn better? Of course, the NFL is crazy like that. However, we have the Lions (twice), Seahawks, Bengals, Browns, Rams, and 49ers on the schedule. I mean the only team in there that might win more than 6 games is Seattle. The rest is absolute crap. It's not like we're playing a team on the border of being good or bad. These teams are all bad.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 11:04 PM)
We were ranked 6th in the NFL against the run last year. Not sure where Steve was getting at.

Hell, we're good enough to finish in the top 3 against the run, and the DT rotation is reason numero uno.

When assessing the quality of DTs, it all starts with their ability against the run, no matter the system. Anybody that thinks otherwise just doesn't know their football too well.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 11:33 PM)
You're right, most of the guys that we did get to "improve" our offensive line are unknowns. I didn't know who Kevin Shaffer or Frank Omiyale were (turns out Shaffer is ranked as an 86 in Madden and Omiyale is a 77, so they can't be too bad).

Somebody said that Browns fans said Shaffer sucked. I guess I'll have to take their word since it's so hard to judge offensive linemen based off statistics (since there really are none). However, Shaffer was a starter on the 06 Falcons, where they rushed for almost 3,000 yards. So you'd assume he's a decent run blocker.

Orlando Pace is old, but then again, so were John Tait and Fred Miller last year. He'll hold up.

I'm not too sure about Williams. He's inexperienced and I'm surprised that he will start.

If anything, I think we increased the depth of our O-line. Chris Williams was not healthy last year, so there's one to add for depth. Omiyale replaces Fred Miller and Pace basically replaces Tait. Shaffer is brought in as a replacement for St. Clair. Overall, I think the line is improved. Even though there seems to be one or two question marks. There were a bunch of question marks last year as well and the line ended up alright.

About the schedule thing, if you look at it, there's 7 teams on there that aren't very good. Can they turn better? Of course, the NFL is crazy like that. However, we have the Lions (twice), Seahawks, Bengals, Browns, Rams, and 49ers on the schedule. I mean the only team in there that might win more than 6 games is Seattle. The rest is absolute crap. It's not like we're playing a team on the border of being good or bad. These teams are all bad.

the 49ers will probably win more than 6 games, I'd even say they might get in the playoffs, seeing the way the nfl works.