JohnCangelosi

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 08:54 AM)
Given options, I'd rather keep Beckham at 3B.

Figgins is not really in KW's budget area.

I agree. I don't think that Figgins is all that at 3B and Beckham has settled in there nicely. I'd put him in LF and move Quentin to RF.

I think that $40 million is too much for a 31-year-old, injury-prone, high-OPB contact hitter with good speed, but no power. That said, if Kenny can get him for 4/25, I'll be the first to roll out the red carpet.

Edited by WCSox

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (beck72 @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 08:39 AM)
I didn't see any mention of this in any threads, but I thought I would put it here.

If the sox are intent on signing Chone Figgins, [which ESPN Insider is reporting, http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/ru...atures%2frumors ] it would have to be to play 3b. It would make a ton of sense to get Figgins for 3b and the top of the order so the sox can add young players like Flowers, Beckham, and Jordan Danks to the everyday lineup in 2010 and 2011. If that’s the case, the sox then would probably have to do a few things:

1] trade Alexei for some good talent—at least a young OFer and a Pitcher who could play in 2010. Say to Boston for OF Josh Reddick and a pitcher, prob. a bullpen arm. Reddick could then compete for the RF job, along with Jordan Danks and Mark Kotsay; both Reddick and Danks would likely need more time in the minors, so Kotsay could start the year in RF, and eventually be replaced by one of those two.

2] Kenny also said [ http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=cws ]he would need a LH bat for 2010. That could mean Thome coming back for at least part time duty. He could prob. Get a 1 yr, $5 mill. deal. Not sure what other lefty bats would be available to hit vs RHP. But Tyler Flowers could bat vs. LHP as the DH and at C to give AJ days off.

3] sign Kotsay for the bench and to play RF/ 1b

4] Sign Freddy Garcia to an incentive laden deal to be the 5th starter. Hudson might be ready. But to make sure he could start in the bullpen and help there.

5] Have Dan Hudson and Carlos Torres in the bullpen; Both could be stretched out if a SP goes down. But the bullpen needs shoring up. Instead of spending money [on who exactly] go internal. Hudson could be a Scot Shields type who could go 2 innings at a time. Having him pitch in the bullpen would save his arm, instead of having throw a lot of innings in AAA.

Here’s what the lineup would be:

1. Figgins-3b

2. Beckham-SS [R]

3. Quentin-LF [R]

4. PK-1B [R]

5. Thome/ Flowers-DH [L]

6. Rios-CF [R]

7. AJ/ Flowers-C [L]

8. Kotsay/ Reddick/ Danks-RF [L]

9. Getz/ Nix-2b [L]

Bench:

Nix

Wise/ Gartrell

Flowers

Lillibridge

SP:

Buerhle

Peavy

Danks

Floyd

Garcia/ Hudson/ Torres

Bullpen:

Torres [long man]

Carrasco [7th, 8th]

Randy Williams

Hudson [7th, 8th]

Linebrink [7th, 8th]

Thornton [7th, 8th]

Jenks

If they do bring Figgens in for 3B, we could also see Alexei shift out to CF, as he played there in Cuba.

I would like to see Retherford given a chance to make the squad next year. I believe he can play 2B or 3B. I don't know for sure how he is defensively but the guy is a hitting machine. I'd much prefer him over Lillibridge as a utility type guy at the very least.

Here's my stab:

Sign Figgins, Beltre, and Damon

Trade Alexei, Flowers, D2, Hudson and Getz to SD for Adrian Gonzalez and Everth Cabrera

Trade Paulie for salary relief, and prospects if we can get some (SF? LAD? ATL?)

Trade a minor leaguer for a young lefty reliever who is ready

L Figgins CF - 3 years $30m, $10M per

R Beckham 2B - $400K

L Gonzalez 1B - $4.75M

R Quentin LF - arb

L Damon DH - 2 years $12M, $6M per

R Rios RF - $9.7M

L Pierzynski C - $6.25M

R Beltre 3B - 2 years $12M, $6M per

S Cabrera SS - $400K

Rotation:

Peavy - $15M

Buehrle - $14M

Floyd - $2.75M

Danks - arb

Garcia - $2M

Bullpen:

Linebrink - $5M

Thornton - $2.25M

Carrasco - $1M

Pena - arb

Jenks - arb

Mystery lefty reliever - $400K

In-house rookie reliever - $400K

Bench:

4 guys at the league minimum - $1.6M

Total = $87.9M + arb to Quentin, Danks, Pena, and Jenks. This should bring us to about $100-$106M or so in 2010 depending on what CQ and Danks get.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
Given options, I'd rather keep Beckham at 3B.

Figgins is not really in KW's budget area.

Based on the ESPN article [though I haven't read the "insider" full report], it would seem that Figgins could be in KW's budget area.

Figgins best position is 3b. That would also be a very good spot to "rest" a 32 year old.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 09:44 PM)
Here's my stab:

Sign Figgins, Beltre, and Damon

Trade Alexei, Flowers, D2, Hudson and Getz to SD for Adrian Gonzalez and Everth Cabrera

Trade Paulie for salary relief, and prospects if we can get some (SF? LAD? ATL?)

Trade a minor leaguer for a young lefty reliever who is ready

L Figgins CF - 3 years $30m, $10M per

R Beckham 2B - $400K

L Gonzalez 1B - $4.75M

R Quentin LF - arb

L Damon DH - 2 years $12M, $6M per

R Rios RF - $9.7M

L Pierzynski C - $6.25M

R Beltre 3B - 2 years $12M, $6M per

S Cabrera SS - $400K

Rotation:

Peavy - $15M

Buehrle - $14M

Floyd - $2.75M

Danks - arb

Garcia - $2M

Bullpen:

Linebrink - $5M

Thornton - $2.25M

Carrasco - $1M

Pena - arb

Jenks - arb

Mystery lefty reliever - $400K

In-house rookie reliever - $400K

Bench:

4 guys at the league minimum - $1.6M

Total = $87.9M + arb to Quentin, Danks, Pena, and Jenks. This should bring us to about $100-$106M or so in 2010 depending on what CQ and Danks get.

That's a lot of dealing. But I could see the sox going after Beltre if Figgins is too expensive/ signs elsewhere. Only if Beckham is at SS, though, so Beltre could help on balls going to the SS hole.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)
If they do bring Figgens in for 3B, we could also see Alexei shift out to CF, as he played there in Cuba.

Yet Alexei's value lays in him playing SS, being able to hit for power and a decent avg. Alexei in CF wouldn't help improve the defense. If Alexei could bring in a return of say a 5 tool OFer along the lines of a Josh Reddick and a bullpen arm, filling two holes, that would be ideal.