Red Sox @ White Sox, 7:11PM, WCIU

justBLAZE

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 04:22 PM)
I wish they'd quit wasting time with Getz, but whatever.

He's not Chase Utley, but honestly, there isn't a replacement. Sure, we can move Beckham and Alexei, but to put who at 3rd? Fields? Why go through the trouble of moving two guys at this point for a possible upgrade of Fields over Getz?

It's just not worth it, especially considering how poorly our defense has played.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
Nix>Getz, and I don't think it's even close.

Nix is better against lefties. Against righties, he's putting up a .650 OPS. Not that Getz's .675 is all that more impressive, but considering he plays better defense and is a better baserunner, I'd rather have him in there when we face righties.

I don't have anything against Chris Getz. For a team whose baseball IQ and will to win is constantly questioned, I find it odd that anyone would complain about Getzy.

Would I like a better player? Sure. But I don't think we have one, so Getz it is.

And furthermore, I have to say that I LOVE this lineup against Byrd. Byrd's junk always seems to catch our fence-swinging sluggers off guard, so this time let's try to put the bat on the baseball and force the issue instead. BTW I heard through the grapevine that Sweaty Freddy hasn't drained his balls in weeks, so expect them to drag on the mound tonight.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
I don't have anything against Chris Getz. For a team whose baseball IQ and will to win is constantly questioned, I find it odd that anyone would complain about Getzy.

Would I like a better player? Sure. But I don't think we have one, so Getz it is.

And furthermore, I have to say that I LOVE this lineup against Byrd. Byrd's junk always seems to catch our fence-swinging sluggers off guard, so this time let's try to put the bat on the baseball and force the issue instead. BTW I heard through the grapevine that Sweaty Freddy hasn't drained his balls in weeks, so expect them to drag on the mound tonight.

I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing for us?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 05:36 PM)
Nix is better against lefties. Against righties, he's putting up a .650 OPS. Not that Getz's .675 is all that more impressive, but considering he plays better defense and is a better baserunner, I'd rather have him in there when we face righties.

Getz does not play better defense, and If the OPS is that close, Nix should be getting most of the PA's imo, because Getz is a utility man at best, and Nix could hit 25 homers a year, while playing very good 2B.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)
Byrd seems to either own us, or we kick his butt, there really isn't an in between...

And in the area of tempting fate, the Sox didn't commit an error in Minnesota, nor against the Cubs.

He's the only guy to beat the 2005 White Sox in the playoffs.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 04:43 PM)
Getz does not play better defense, and If the OPS is that close, Nix should be getting most of the PA's imo, because Getz is a utility man at best, and Nix could hit 25 homers a year, while playing very good 2B.

Honestly, Nix has been brutal defensively over the past month. Not sure if that is a fair sample size, but he hasn't looked like the guy he was in the first half of the season defensively. Secondly, Nix very well may hit you 25 home runs a year, but he'll hit them almost all against lefties, whom he has a stunning .951 OPS against. You really aren't losing much at all by sitting him against righties entirely. Meanwhile, Getz has stolen 21 of 23 bases this year, plays a solid second base, and provides better offense against righties. Why not take that chance to play him?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)
Honestly, Nix has been brutal defensively over the past month. Not sure if that is a fair sample size, but he hasn't looked like the guy he was in the first half of the season defensively. Secondly, Nix very well may hit you 25 home runs a year, but he'll hit them almost all against lefties, whom he has a stunning .951 OPS against. You really aren't losing much at all by sitting him against righties entirely. Meanwhile, Getz has stolen 21 of 23 bases this year, plays a solid second base, and provides better offense against righties. Why not take that chance to play him?

I agree. While Nix turns a DP nicely, he's made several errors and screwed up several plays where he didn't get errors and cost the Sox runs, yet his backers can't get the Carny Lansford quote about his defense out of their heads. He hasn't been all that great defensively. Also, there is very little chance he can continue his home run pace. I like Getz. He brings you some things the Sox have been lacking in recent seasons.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 06:47 PM)

His 2B isn't solid, it's below average, and I think Nix's LH/RH splits will even out over time.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 05:15 PM)
His 2B isn't solid, it's below average, and I think Nix's LH/RH splits will even out over time.

Even out? Seriously?

Nix has a .951 OPS against lefties and a .650 OPS against righties. That's an extraordinarily large difference - not usually something that "evens out over time."

As for your opinions regarding the two of them defensively, I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 05:21 PM)
Even out? Seriously?

Nix has a .951 OPS against lefties and a .650 OPS against righties. That's an extraordinarily large difference - not usually something that "evens out over time."

As for your opinions regarding the two of them defensively, I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

The original reason Nix was on the team was due to his defensive prowess.

Nix has had amazing UZR numbers, scoring a 5.0 on RngR, 4.7 on UZR and 15.8 on UZR/150 at second.

Getz has been below average: -2.3 RngR, -2.8 UZR, -3.3 UZR/150

QUOTE (League @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 05:38 PM)
The original reason Nix was on the team was due to his defensive prowess.

Nix has had amazing UZR numbers, scoring a 5.0 on RngR, 4.7 on UZR and 15.8 on UZR/150 at second.

Getz has been below average: -2.3 RngR, -2.8 UZR, -3.3 UZR/150

And I appreciate his extreme range.

However, he has been botching routine plays with regularity lately, which sort of negates his defensive prowess, wouldn't you agree?

And I agree that one of the reasons he made the team was because of his defensive skills. If you look at where this discussion started, you'll see I stated over the past month or so, that he has not been the player he was in the first half.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 05:52 PM)
Nix Error Runs above average -1.1

Getz Error runs above average -.9

The error difference isn't even close to the range difference.

Show me Nix's numbers for the past month.

You'll notice I keep mentioning his play over the LAST MONTH.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 07:26 PM)
I just tuned it. Can somebody explain why AJ is hitting third?

I guess it's because he's hitting .310 and managers like to put their high average guy in the third spot?

Plus he's a left handed bat, so he helps break up our right handed hitters.