Maybe it wouldnt hurt to keep Freddy Garcia around after all...

IamPabloOzuna

Felix would be a pipe dream, esp. after the prospects it took to land Peavy. To go back to the main point, though, if Freddy continues throwing well, he'd be a good 5th starter for the sox. Then the Sox could have Hudson as the next SP the sox would turn to [though Hudson should be in the sox bullpen to start 2010 if he throws like he did on Fri, night.]

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (beck72 @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
Felix would be a pipe dream, esp. after the prospects it took to land Peavy. To go back to the main point, though, if Freddy continues throwing well, he'd be a good 5th starter for the sox. Then the Sox could have Hudson as the next SP the sox would turn to [though Hudson should be in the sox bullpen to start 2010 if he throws like he did on Fri, night.]

You know, I typically am the guy who doesn't like to see our starters moved to the bullpen to ease them in, but I'd really have no problem at all with freddy starting the season in teh 5 slot and Hudson starting the season in the bullpen. Hudson's innings probably should be kept under control next year, so the bullpen works there, and it seems like he's at the level where there's not much left for him to work on in the minors other than learning how to get big league players out. Hudson to the pen next year I'm ok with.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
You know, I typically am the guy who doesn't like to see our starters moved to the bullpen to ease them in, but I'd really have no problem at all with freddy starting the season in teh 5 slot and Hudson starting the season in the bullpen. Hudson's innings probably should be kept under control next year, so the bullpen works there, and it seems like he's at the level where there's not much left for him to work on in the minors other than learning how to get big league players out. Hudson to the pen next year I'm ok with.

That's a big reason to keep him in the bullpen for next year. Esp. if he doesn't have a lot to work on pitch-wise in AAA. Hudson could really solidify the bullpen next year. Also, Carrasco could move up from long man to set up, with Torres eating innings as long man.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
That's a big reason to keep him in the bullpen for next year. Esp. if he doesn't have a lot to work on pitch-wise in AAA. Hudson could really solidify the bullpen next year. Also, Carrasco could move up from long man to set up, with Torres eating innings as long man.

If Torres doesn't make the team as a starter out of ST, I think I might rather see him in the minors to get in work.

Hell, if he has a good season at AAA and makes a few starts like he did against the Cubs if Garcia needs a break then he might get traded for Adrian Gonzalez.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 10:32 PM)
If Torres doesn't make the team as a starter out of ST, I think I might rather see him in the minors to get in work.

Hell, if he has a good season at AAA and makes a few starts like he did against the Cubs if Garcia needs a break then he might get traded for Adrian Gonzalez.

I think Torres would be hard pressed to have a better 2010 in AAA then he did this year. I think Torres' presence for the sox bullpen in 2010 would allow Carrasco to have a larger set up role.

There is no way Torres should be sent down to get work while Hudson stays on the big league club in the bullpen. That was pretty much the exact same way that McCarthy fell out of favor within the organization, and Torres looks much more capable of becoming a reliever, especially considering he only throws out of the stretch. Hudson is also much more highly regarded and has a place in the rotation within the upcoming years, and as such, the team should look to increase his workload a bit going into next year in AAA to help build up that arm strength. If he can throw 175 or so innings next year in the minors, he's looking great, and at that point, he can also become the 6th starter should someone go down for an extended amount of time. He will be what Brandon McCarthy was to the 2005 White Sox.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 07:09 PM)
There is no way Torres should be sent down to get work while Hudson stays on the big league club in the bullpen. That was pretty much the exact same way that McCarthy fell out of favor within the organization, and Torres looks much more capable of becoming a reliever, especially considering he only throws out of the stretch. Hudson is also much more highly regarded and has a place in the rotation within the upcoming years, and as such, the team should look to increase his workload a bit going into next year in AAA to help build up that arm strength. If he can throw 175 or so innings next year in the minors, he's looking great, and at that point, he can also become the 6th starter should someone go down for an extended amount of time. He will be what Brandon McCarthy was to the 2005 White Sox.

Hudson was at 161 last year, and is at 147 in the minors, plus the 2 in the majors this year. He is ready for 180 innings now.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
I don't even think Seattle would make that deal. I think it would take Ramirez, Floyd, and Danks. Possibly a Viciedo or Hudson too. And before people call me an idiot, no I would not make that trade from the Sox perspective, but I got a feeling thats the type of offer it would take to land him.

wow, just floyd AND danks alone for felix would be stupid

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 06:25 PM)
Hudson was at 161 last year, and is at 147 in the minors, plus the 2 in the majors this year. He is ready for 180 innings now.

Right. Which means he probably IS ready for close to 200 innings next year, and his youth/workload should NOT be a factor in next year's 5th starter determination.

This belongs in the other thread, I am aware.