son of a rude

who gets it?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. who gets it?

• Freddy Garcia
    • Daniel Hudson
    • Brandon Hynick
    • Carlos Torres

Who do you think ends up as the 5th starter next year? Garcia has been pitching really well lately. Hudson is a pretty special pitcher who may be ready already. Torres has proven that he can handle the 5th spot. Hynick is completely outmatching everybody in AAA and may be better than Torres.

I would really like Hudson to start so I can see his stuff, but I think Hynick may be more ready for the spot. Hudson is going to be special in the future, but he is still only 22. Most scouting reports on Hynick say that he has the balls of Freddy Garcia and will be a starter in the majors. I doubt Freddy will be as good as is he now, so I'm not sure about him. Torres may be able to fill in the Carrasco type role. Torres is probably a decent trade chip after his AAA numbers and his last start.

Who would you want starting and what would you do with those who don't start?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The simple answer is - keep all of them and use them for depth/bullpen. I could def. see Torres and Hudson adding some much needed pen stability next year. Haven't seen enough of Hynick but he's pitched well tonight. Freddy has earned his paycheck and will likely get brought back, so he is the default 5th starter. Probably go Freddy, Hynick, Hudson, Torres in that order.

I think it should be Hudson. We have arguably one of the top pitching prospects in all of baseball right now. No point in not giving him top priority for the 5th starter's job. Regardless of what Freddy's done in a small sample size of a few starts, I don't think Hudson belongs in the 'pen.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 08:02 PM)
I think it should be Hudson. We have arguably one of the top pitching prospects in all of baseball right now. No point in not giving him top priority for the 5th starter's job. Regardless of what Freddy's done in a small sample size of a few starts, I don't think Hudson belongs in the 'pen.

He won't start out of the pen next year if he's not the 5th starter. If anybody's going to do that, it's Torres.

I'd like to start Hudson and carry Garcia in long relief. Assuming that Hudson will be on an innings limit, we can get Freddy a couple starts near the back of the year. If 2009 is proving anything it's that the future is now. It would be to our detriment not to get Hudson in the rotation as soon as possible.

Our pitching depth is a good problem to have. I think the big question is how much money Garcia will want to stay. If the price is right then he is #5. If he asks for too much I'm betting it's Torres or Hynick and the 2 odd men out get dealt. KW doesn't seem like the type to hold onto players that are doing good but he doesn't have a spot for them. Sell high.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)
Our pitching depth is a good problem to have. I think the big question is how much money Garcia will want to stay. If the price is right then he is #5. If he asks for too much I'm betting it's Torres or Hynick and the 2 odd men out get dealt. KW doesn't seem like the type to hold onto players that are doing good but he doesn't have a spot for them. Sell high.

Supposedly we have an option on Garcia for like $1-$2 million.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
Do you have a link on that? I went back into the Garcia thread, and couldn't find anything.

Thats a big deal IMO. While Freddy has been loyal to this club, if he continues to post these types of numbers, there are going to be a few teams calling for his services. At 33, I could see a team giving him a 2 year deal, which I would hope the Sox wouldn't match given the depth they seem to have acquired for the back-end of the rotation.

Again, I would assume Garcia would like to stay with the Sox, but if all they offer is an invite for spring with a chance to make the rotation, his agent would be stupid not to shop him to other teams.

One pitcher who could get an extended look from the Sox in September is Freddy Garcia, who pitched 6 1/3 innings of three-run ball Tuesday in his second start.

The Sox hold a $1 million option on Garcia, 34, for 2010 that includes $2 million in incentives based on innings pitched.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,0,626806.story

I like Freddy for next year until he cant go anymore.

I say go with Freddy, if he can pitch like he has these last 3 starts vs. two of the best hitting teams in the majors. It's not like he's beating the Royals or AAA call ups.

At least one of the two-Hyrick or Torres should be the long man in the 'pen, so Carrasco can have a larger role. That means one of the two would be in AAA, along with Ely, Shirek, etc as the next immediate option as the 6th SP.

What to do with Hudson, that's a little harder. He's thrown a lot of innings this year, and having him start in the sox bullpen for 2010 may keep him from wearing down. He may be ready to step in late next year. But to expect him to throw 30 starts and 180 innings is probably too much to put on the kid. Not to mention that having Hudson in the pen could be a huge lift. They'll need another arm or two and Hudson would be a huge upgrade over Dotel, and even Linebrink. Ultimately, Hudson will be in the rotation. Most likely, to start 2011. He could get stretched out in AAA if he starts 2010 in the bullpen, with one of the AAA SP's filling in a turn or two in the rotation if an injury occurs.

So, keep Freddy as the 5th SP, have Hudson and one of Torres/ Hyrick in the pen, the other being a SP in AAA.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
Does anyone want to give me a proper explanation for Garcia over Hudson, other then nostalgia for nostalgia’s sake? Why wouldn’t we want our top pitching prospect as our #5, rather than an aging, injury-prone vet who seems to be getting by more on guile then stuff?

I did in the previous post. With the innings he's thrown this year, it's very unrealistic to expect Hudson to have 30 starts in the bigs, and log 180 innings as the 5th starter. With more selective hitters in the bigs, Hudson will throw more pitches, and less innings than he did this year in the minors.

Having Freddy as the 5th SP to start the year [and he may not last all of 2010--but if he doesn't start with the sox, another team will pick him up], will allow the sox to ease Hudson into his adjustment to big league hitters. I'd rather have Hudson strong for the end of 2010, saving innings on his arm, prob. by having him throw from the bullpen, then throwing out there when the necessity isn't there. Then, if a SP goes down Hudson could be a reliable 1st or 2nd option to turn to.

I did in the previous post. With the innings he's thrown this year, it's very unrealistic to expect Hudson to have 30 starts in the bigs, and log 180 innings as the 5th starter. With more selective hitters in the bigs, Hudson will throw more pitches, and less innings than he did this year in the minors.

Having Freddy as the 5th SP to start the year [and he may not last all of 2010--but if he doesn't start with the sox, another team will pick him up], will allow the sox to ease Hudson into his adjustment to big league hitters. I'd rather have Hudson strong for the end of 2010, saving innings on his arm, prob. by having him throw from the bullpen, then throwing out there when the necessity isn't there. Then, if a SP goes down Hudson could be a reliable 1st or 2nd option to turn to.

No it isn't. He threw over 160 innings last year. What makes you think he couldnt throw 180 this year and even more the next?

Edited by son of a rude