• I hate Lou Holtz on TV
    • I hate the ND "Tradition"
    • I hate how NBC, ESPN etc treats them special
    • I don't hate Notre Dame

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate Notre Dame to be honest. I just find the overwhelming attention and love they get to be a bit bewildering since most of their students weren't even born the last time the program was dominant and in top form. In that sense, I would compare them to Indiana University basketball. I also think it's a fact that they have a relatively weak schedule, and in similar to 2006 form, I wouldn't be surprised if they carry it all the way to a BCS Bowl, only to get blown out once they arrive.

I think that most people that do hate Notre Dame hate them due to the religious part, but many of them wouldn't admit to it. I personally think Notre Dame will need to join a conference if they ever want to regain top form, but they get so much money from NBC that they would never do that, and I have a hard time blaming them.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
I think that most people that do hate Notre Dame hate them due to the religious part, but many of them wouldn't admit to it. I personally think Notre Dame will need to join a conference if they ever want to regain top form, but they get so much money from NBC that they would never do that, and I have a hard time blaming them.

I don't think ANY of the hate is religiously-based. Gonzaga is Catholic and it doesn't get any hate.

I voted for the bandwagon fans who didn't go to ND, don't have family who went to ND, don't live near ND and have no reason to be fans other than to be attached to the 'name'.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
I don't think ANY of the hate is religiously-based. Gonzaga is Catholic and it doesn't get any hate.

I voted for the bandwagon fans who didn't go to ND, don't have family who went to ND, don't live near ND and have no reason to be fans other than to be attached to the 'name'.

I disagree that Gonzaga doesn't get any hate, but I see your point because it's not nearly as much. However, Notre Dame is widely regarded as THE Catholic/Religious University on the United States, I think it's the only school where if brought up, people think religion. I'm not calling you out personally as hating them due to religion (your reasoning to dislike them is perfectly reasonable), but the fact remains that I would bet a lot of people dislike them for religious reasons, but some wouldn't admit to that being the reason.

I have a love/hate relationship with ND.

I hate...

Lou Holtz

Charlie Weis

NBC contract

T-shirt fans with holier-than-thou attitude.

I like...

Religious base(I respect it)

Athletes admission requirements

Game atmosphere(I like the colors and the leprechaun :-P).

Alums are usually respectable in the NFL(Bettis :headbang)

Overall I'm happy with ND loses right now because Charlie Weis and Lou are hurt. But there's definitely other programs I would prefer to see lose like...

Oklahoma (cheaters, don't graduate anyone, despicable program)

Texas (admissions for athletes is a joke, NFL athletes are usually arrogant and dumb as bricks)

USC (cheaters, all the talent in the world and usually just coast there way into 10+ wins)

Alabama (cheaters, will do anything for football wins, the Kentucky of the football world)

Florida (Urban Meyer is an @#$face, but I respect Tebow)

I am Catholic and a product of Catholic schools. As a young child, I liked both the Cubs and Notre Dame. As an adult, I despise both. Dr. Freud might have something to say about that, but the truth is that as I grew older, different elements of each fan base definitely began to turn me off.

With the Cubs it came easy; I realized there was nothing loveable about losing. But I was once awestruck by Joe Montana in the Cotton Bowl.

In High School, I specifically remember listening to a radio broadcast of an ND football game that the Irish won on a last second field goal because--according to the announcer--the Blessed Virgin suddenly stilled the strong winds that had been blowing in from that end zone all day. After that, I started to really resent seeing "God made the Irish No. 1" bumper stickers, "Catholics v. Convicts" T-Shirts and such, even though I realize that they are meant "somewhat" tounge-in-cheek. It hasn't helped matters that both my boss and my in-laws are hard-core alums of the "shrine to the Dome in their basements" variety, and that I'm inundanted constantly with all things Irish.

I never really had anything against their coaches until Charlie. Ol' Jabba makes hatin' on the Irish pretty easy.

I just hate Weis. He's a control-freak, jackass that can't handle criticism. A wannabe Belichick, but nowhere near as good of a coach.

I like ND otherwise. When I went to my 1st ND game last Fall, I had a blast. Completely different atmosphere than an SEC game, but just as cool I thought. So much tradition there. Plus, Rudy is my favorite movie of all time, so that may help.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)

This is the biggest reason for me, but there are plenty of reasons. I didn't vote because I could have gone with about 5 or more of the choices.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
I disagree that Gonzaga doesn't get any hate, but I see your point because it's not nearly as much. However, Notre Dame is widely regarded as THE Catholic/Religious University on the United States, I think it's the only school where if brought up, people think religion. I'm not calling you out personally as hating them due to religion (your reasoning to dislike them is perfectly reasonable), but the fact remains that I would bet a lot of people dislike them for religious reasons, but some wouldn't admit to that being the reason.

Boston College is also Catholic, I believe. I don't think they get much hate.

Plus, I'm Catholic and I should like Notre Dame, if anything. I don't, though.