Will KW continue to remake us into a speedier team?

caulfield12

I question where Figgins fits in on the team we see for the future. You build from within and our infield looks like Beckham at 3B, Ramirez and SS and Getz at 2B. Nix is the platoon players, but if I had my druthers I would go more defense with a Uribe again. You can argue all you want about Juan, but saying he wasn't a special glove man is absurd. PK is set at 1B and hopefully for a few more years. You need stability and you don't get that by replacing your middle infielders every year.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it amazing to you? Pods has value on this team and has been the leadoff hitter we needed. He is hitting over .300 and has over 20 steasl and hasn't played the whole year with us. We most certainly could do alot worse or pay a lot more money for someone different.

I don't think that he will repeat what he has done this year. His career averages are all lower than they are this year, and he is going to be one year older. His speed has already diminished, and it will keep diminishing. It would be more valuable to have somebody with a high OPS like Thome at DH.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)
Why is it amazing to you? Pods has value on this team and has been the leadoff hitter we needed. He is hitting over .300 and has over 20 steasl and hasn't played the whole year with us. We most certainly could do alot worse or pay a lot more money for someone different.

I've read that of the 173 times pods has been on base he has been caught stealing 10 times, picked off 9 times, and picked off trying to steal 2 times. He's been a disaster on the bases and in the OF. He has hit really well, but given his age and track record I think it's foolish to expect the same production next season. I fully expect him to be starting either in the OF or DH next season. In fact, I think the plan is to have him DH next season given what Ozzie and KW have said about having a DH that can also play the field. But I'd much rather the Sox filled the open OF and DH slots from elsewhere.

I think Pods definitely deserves a chance...but not on the White Sox. This is one of those times you say, Thanks for the help, but we need to do something different going forward. We will help you any way we can....

Why? He's not a good base stealer anymore. He's never been good in the outfield. I have a feeling he will regress a bit next year. And, if you bring him back as a 4th outfielder, there's a better chance he's going to get hurt. At least if he's playing every day, he's loose. If you have him pinch running...I can pretty much guarantee you he'll pull a hammy. That's just Pods, unfortunately. He did everything he could do for this team, but he's not a player that's going to get the White Sox to the World Series...anymore.

Half of the point of bringing back Posednik is that it isn't the risk many of you make it out to be because of the cost of doing so. Honestly, with what the team has gone through over the course of the last several years, what is $2-3 million a year for 2 years compared to having Dweezy leading off? Forcing Nick Swisher to lead off and perhaps putting him into a rut? Letting whomever the hell lead off that lead off in 2007 (I can't even remember our lineups from that year)?

Sure, we can all dream about Crawford, we can argue to sign Figgins, etc. But 1) Mike Scoscia wants to KEEP Chone Figgins; and 2) there are about 5 other teams that will be in on Figgins should the Angels actually let him walk. These are options that are probably pipe dreams at this point.

If you sign Podsednik it's a low-risk solution. If he winds up being terrible, then fine, you banish him to the bench or you DFA him. But given the way he has hit the fastball this season, I am not buying that he is too old or will have a huge regression next year. He has had a few slumps here and there, but he has been fairly consistent when compared to the rest of the hitters on this club this year.

And for the record, sure, if someone like Crawford becomes available, of course I am all in favor of acquiring him. Signing Podsednik certainly isn't going to stop Kenny from making a move like that; but our other likely possibilities are so unsettling, I really don't know what all the resistance is about.

I think my issue with Podsednik is that an OF of Podsednik, Rios, Quentin might not be up to snuff offensively, given Pods's lack of slugging ability for a corner OF. Of course, that depends on what we do to fill the DH slot next year too, and whether or not we're ready to legitimately put Getz at leadoff next season (he's certainly played well enough to hit there in the 2nd half this year). If you bring Pods back cheap but then invest in bringing in some LH Power at the DH position, that's perhaps tolerable if Q and Rios both play to form.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
I think my issue with Podsednik is that an OF of Podsednik, Rios, Quentin might not be up to snuff offensively, given Pods's lack of slugging ability for a corner OF. Of course, that depends on what we do to fill the DH slot next year too, and whether or not we're ready to legitimately put Getz at leadoff next season (he's certainly played well enough to hit there in the 2nd half this year). If you bring Pods back cheap but then invest in bringing in some LH Power at the DH position, that's perhaps tolerable if Q and Rios both play to form.

I just don't know about Getzy....I like his skills...I like his smarts...I like his stealing percentage ALOT. I just don't see him as being a leadoff hitter that sets the tone for us...

Of course, the entire Podsednik situation revolves around what other options are available. I'm just going off of the fact that Kenny is the most active GM in the game and this is one particular area he has been absolutely stonewalled in. I don't see a whole lot of other options out there unless you are willing to play a very premium price, and from what we have in our system, I'd rather go with the 1-2 year stopgap and hope our own talent pans out.

Having a true lead-off man would be great, but our two biggest weaknesses this year have been our team defense and pitching (4th and 5th starters and the front of our bullpen minus Carrasco).

With having 5 actual Major League starters all better than #5's, we should be able to fix the starting pitching problems and also become far less reliant upon the bullpen guys we really don't want to pitch in tight situations. This should help our team defense too because more well-pitched games means a faster pace and a more alert defense.

If we can get an above-average defensive RF we'd get a LOT better on the road. If Adrian Beltre can be had cheaply then I'd also like to move Beckham to 2B and deal Chris Getz.

Actually, what about signing Beltre to a cheap 2-year deal and then dealing Getz to the Marlins (95% chance they trade Uggla this year) for Cody Ross? Cody can play CF and RF, has a strong and accurate arm, has speed, and a is a lefty bat. He's not the best hitter in the world when it comes to average, but he can draw a walk (OBP at .323 despite hitting .267) and has some pop (20 HR this year, 22 HR last year, .483 career SLG). Our OF offense would take a hit on paper, but with a return to form by Quentin and just career average performance out of Rios it will still be a lot better than this year's performance. With a D like that we'll actually be in position to out-pitch and out-defend many of our opponents which is a HUGE key for winning road games which we've sucked at.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
Deal Getz elsewhere then. I just would love to see Beltre's glove at third and Ross' glove in the OF. Ross should still be available.

Beltre's glove would be awesome...his bat on the other hand........

Beltre battled injuries this year, and a change of scenery to the Cell and Ozzie could help him. I don't think he'll ever do what he did in LA again, but he could hit his career line of .270/.325/.454 with 20-30 HR depending on how he starts the year. It would be like having a healthy Crede back basically. Next year Beltre will be 31, so he's still young enough.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
Is he going to be ok after his testicle recovers? :)

As long as it's still attached and he doesn't end up expelling it during intercourse then he should be fine. He needs to get into the habit of protecting the jewels though. Maybe Walk can help him with that one, or at least make a few suggestions because he can't *force* a player to cover his balls.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 06:25 PM)
I don't think that he will repeat what he has done this year. His career averages are all lower than they are this year, and he is going to be one year older. His speed has already diminished, and it will keep diminishing. It would be more valuable to have somebody with a high OPS like Thome at DH.

He played hurt. He is healthy and a healthy Pods can produce

I'd prefer to be built into a better defensive team with more on base percentage. Everybody makes so much of our troubels with leaving men on base and things like that, and yes, not being able to score from 2nd on a single or 1st on a double has been a problem for us. But a bigger problem for us has been lack of on base percentage, which is why we struggle to score without the home run in my opinion. It's just hard to string together 4 or 5 baserunners in an inning when you have a bunch of low on base percentages, and having Jim Thome out of town makes that problem even more noticeable. And as for the defense, we've all seen it and know how much improvement it needs as well.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)

because Jim Thome is twice the hitter that Scott Podsednik is, will almost certainly sign for a deal that ties up less money long term, and can actually hit for power.

If Sox fans want a player similar to Podsednik, I honestly have zero problem at all with a trade of something like Linebrink for Pierre. It was mentioned by Fathom, and it actually makes a bit of sense, even if it would mean that Pierre would end up leading off. He's a much more fundamentally sound player than Podsednik, even if he is a bit worse hitting.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 11:47 PM)
because Jim Thome is twice the hitter that Scott Podsednik is, will almost certainly sign for a deal that ties up less money long term, and can actually hit for power.

If Sox fans want a player similar to Podsednik, I honestly have zero problem at all with a trade of something like Linebrink for Pierre. It was mentioned by Fathom, and it actually makes a bit of sense, even if it would mean that Pierre would end up leading off. He's a much more fundamentally sound player than Podsednik, even if he is a bit worse hitting.

That is your opinion and no matter how bizarre it is you are entitled to it :lol: Thome can hit for power and I love having Jim Thome on this club, but Pods can make things happen also. I would prefer to have some more homerun pop in our line up as it worked in 2008 and also in 2005, but in our World Series year we had more speed (oh Pods was on that team wasn't he)