Octavio Dotel

Quin

Going into next season podsednik will get a starting job somewhere, whether it be here or elsewhere. There is no reason for him to have to settle for anything less at this point. He especially would not be willing to come back here and have his playing time reduced after he has had his best season offensively by far since his rookie season in 2003.

Im not so sure that teams are going to be lining up to give a player who is over 30 a starting job just because he had his best offensive season in 6 years.

If Pods was even an adequate CF, hed have a job. The problem is that hes below average at every OF position, and most teams just arent going to spend money on a below average fielder whose only value is obp.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
By all indications the Sox want to compete this year, next year, and the year after. I think we can agree on that.

By my count, 12 of the 14 AL teams have better options(realistic options) at the lead-off spot than the Sox. That needs to change. It's the job of the front office to fix it.

Tony, I hate to keep going around in circles here, but as a team that does not play in Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, CitiField, or Chavez Ravine, we only have limited resources. We have to pick and choose our battles. I agree with you that we should have expended more resources on the leadoff positon in the batting order. That does not, however, mean that we should expend any and all resources available to procure this player. Given the premium apparently placed on the positon by other organizations, the market appears to be inflated and therefore, it may be (and apparently is, by KW's decision) prudent to utilize our limited resources on other fronts.

To simply ignore this reality and say it is unacceptable seems overly simplistic to me.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 05:59 PM)
I know it's not that simple. It isn't. However, Williams and his front office get paid a lot of money to make these tough decisions.

I have a lot of faith in the Baseball Opps Department. As Kalapse said, Sox fans have a right to expect a little bit more than Scott Podsednik in 2010.

Well, I will respectfully disagree.

I gave up expecting more when FO brought us Jake Peavy and Alex Rios.