Beatles Poll

The Bones

Soxtalk's opinion of The Beatles  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Beatles album?

• Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • The White Album
    • Abbey Road
    • Other (please post your favorite)
    • I love them all
    • I hate The Beatles
    • I've never listened to a Beatles album all the way through
  2. 2. Who is your favorite Beatle?

• George
    • John
    • Paul
    • Ringo
    • I love them all
    • I hate The Beatles
    • Who are these guys?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted Revolver, but it is interesting that during the Anthologies, George even said that Rubber Soul and Revolver could have been part one and two of the same album.

As for my favorite, Paul is my favorite, but there is no Beatles without the four of them. They all brought incredible things to the group, and did very well on their own as well.

Favorite Beatles album is like picking a favorite child. I can maybe pick a favorite from each era. Early era it would be Beatles For Sale. Middle era it would be Revolver (Parlaphone track order). late ara would be Abbey Road.

My favorites also probably change on a daily basis.

I voted for the White album, though my favorite changes all the time, the White album is the one that I'm always coming back to. I love the Beatles Second album probably most amongst the early ones.

Favorite Beatle always was and always will be John Lennon.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
No Billy Preston?

Sgt. Peppers because that's what got me into the Beatles...and all of them because replace one and you might have yourself the Rutles.

A very fair point. I think if you start with John and Paul, and they were far better balancing each other than solo, which is not to take away any of the solo stuff which is far better than most anything else, you would have something special. Then, I think george could be swapped and while the collective suffers, you would still have had a top 10 band all-time. Finally, Pete Best could have stayed on and easily replaced Ringo.

OK, I say that half in jest to start something :lol: But seriously, what band can't you toss out the drummer and still have it work well? Genesis? Peter Gabriel was much better. The Who, Zep, they all survived drummer changes.

A very fair point. I think if you start with John and Paul, and they were far better balancing each other than solo, which is not to take away any of the solo stuff which is far better than most anything else, you would have something special. Then, I think george could be swapped and while the collective suffers, you would still have had a top 10 band all-time. Finally, Pete Best could have stayed on and easily replaced Ringo.

OK, I say that half in jest to start something :lol: But seriously, what band can't you toss out the drummer and still have it work well? Genesis? Peter Gabriel was much better. The Who, Zep, they all survived drummer changes.

Ringo was the bread and butter of the beatles. He would always settle them down when they were fighting in the later days. Plus his drumming on the end and rain is amazing.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
Ringo was the bread and butter of the beatles. He would always settle them down when they were fighting in the later days. Plus his drumming on the end and rain is amazing.

OK, he was a peace maker.

But seriously, he was the drummer.

• How do you tell if the stage is level?

The drummer is drooling from both sides of his mouth.

• How can you tell a drummer's at the door?

The knocking speeds up.

What's the last thing a drummer says in a band?

"Hey guys, why don't we try one of my songs?

What do you call a drummer that breaks up with his girlfriend?

Homeless.

How can you tell when a drummer's at the door?

He doesn't know when to come in

What do Ginger Baker and black coffee have in common?

They both suck without Cream.

How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better

Neil Peart coulda done it.

How many drummers does it take to change a light bulb?

None, they have a machine to do that now.

How can you tell when the drum riser is level?

Drool comes out of both sides of the drummer's mouth.

Why didn't the little drummer boy get into heaven?

Because he woke the baby for Christ's sake!

What do you call a drummer with half a brain?

Gifted.

What do you call a Drummer in a Volkswagen?

Farfromthinken.

What does a drummer use for contraception?

His personality.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)

Are you kidding about the Who and Zeppelin? Keith Moon is possibly the drummer who had the biggest influence on his band's sound ever. And what did Zeppelin ever do after Bonham died?

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 06:06 PM)

You have lost your marbles. Led Zeppelin did not survive John Bonham's death. They never recorded another studio album, they released the unbearable Coda album for $, and all of the later-day reunion gigs with Chester Thompson, Jason Bonham, etc., were fluff but there was no Led Zeppelin after Bonham.

Kenny Jones is a great drummer, but he was basically a hired studio gun on Face Dances and It's Hard, and without Moon's unorthodox, manic drumming most of the songs on those albums are lacking.

I don't even get the Peter Gabriel point. His solo stuff is wonderful, but Gabriel-era Genesis with Phil Collins behind the drum kit where he belongs is as good as prog rock gets.

Oh, and if you're hard-pressed to come up with a band that would be fatally wounded b a drummer's departure, I'd offer Rush and Neil Peart as Exhibit A to counter your assertion.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim