Beatles Poll

The Bones

Soxtalk's opinion of The Beatles  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Beatles album?

• Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • The White Album
    • Abbey Road
    • Other (please post your favorite)
    • I love them all
    • I hate The Beatles
    • I've never listened to a Beatles album all the way through
  2. 2. Who is your favorite Beatle?

• George
    • John
    • Paul
    • Ringo
    • I love them all
    • I hate The Beatles
    • Who are these guys?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
Ringo was the bread and butter of the beatles. He would always settle them down when they were fighting in the later days. Plus his drumming on the end and rain is amazing.

It's commonly believed that the drumming on songs such as "Rain" was actually Paul, not Ringo. I can't remember where I first heard that, but I have heard it many times and it makes all sorts of sense. Ringo was a rock solid time keeper, nothing more.

I voted Revolver and Paul. Paul has always had the greatest scream in the history of music.

My love of the Beatles is long over though. I just grew tired of them. When I hear the albums, I do think "yeah, good stuff", but I never put them on out of choice.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 08:11 PM)
I don't even get the Peter Gabriel point. His solo stuff is wonderful, but Gabriel-era Genesis with Phil Collins behind the drum kit where he belongs is as good as prog rock gets.

Plus, I stand strongly by it that what most people mean when they say "the Gabriel days" is actually the "Hackett days", as the Gabriel departure was damn near seemless as the band still turned out two strong albums after Gabriel left and Collins did an incredible Gabriel impersonation. It was really Steve Hackett that held the band to being anything but a Pop-machine.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
It's commonly believed that the drumming on songs such as "Rain" was actually Paul, not Ringo. I can't remember where I first heard that, but I have heard it many times and it makes all sorts of sense. Ringo was a rock solid time keeper, nothing more.

Yeah, even Paul himself believes it's his drum track on The End, although Ringo refutes it.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
Plus, I stand strongly by it that what most people mean when they say "the Gabriel days" is actually the "Hackett days", as the Gabriel departure was damn near seemless as the band still turned out two strong albums after Gabriel left and Collins did an incredible Gabriel impersonation. It was really Steve Hackett that held the band to being anything but a Pop-machine.

I agree, Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering are fine post-Gabriel outings (I'd certainly include the Spot the Pigeon EP as well, particularly with Hacket's Inside and Out on it). And absolutely, Phil Collins pulled off a great Gabriel vocal impersonation.

QUOTE (T R U @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 12:37 AM)
I voted for "I hate the Beatles" on both polls.

I guess I don't really "hate" them, but nothing else really fit. Not my type of music, prolly cuz I wasn't around then.

Same thing. I definitely don't hate them, I just don't listen to them. If they are playing on the radio or in someone's car/house I don't care and wouldn't complain, but I wouldn't ever seek them out.

"My favorite piece of me is what I did on 'Rain.' I think I just played amazing. I was into the snare and hi-hat. I think it was the first time I used the trick of starting a break by hitting the hi-hat first instead of going directly to a drum off the hi-hat. I think it's the best out of all the records I've ever made. 'Rain' blows me away. It's out in left field. I know me and I know my playing... and then there's 'Rain.'"

--Ringo, 1984

Yeah, Rain isn't one of the Paul on drums songs — should have caught that. Paul did lots of White album drums during a stretch when Ringo "quit" the band. Paul also supposedly came up with the great shuffling drum pattern on ticket To Ride (maybe my favorite Beatles drum track), but Ringo played it.

George "co-wrote" "Octopus's Garden."

Ringo has the sole writing credit and George has been quoted saying it's his song. I'm not sure how much George wrote on it, but it seems like ringo did most of it (unlike some of his songs like photograph).

Either way, saying he is worthless to the band is stupid. His vocals in octopus's garden, yellow submarine, with a little help from my friends, and a couple others are perfect. Any other beatle singing it wouldn't be as good.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
Ringo has the sole writing credit and George has been quoted saying it's his song. I'm not sure how much George wrote on it, but it seems like ringo did most of it (unlike some of his songs like photograph).

Either way, saying he is worthless to the band is stupid. His vocals in octopus's garden, yellow submarine, with a little help from my friends, and a couple others are perfect. Any other beatle singing it wouldn't be as good.

Ringo vocals I particularly like are "I Wanna Be Your Man", "Boys" and "Don't Pass Me By". His solo "It Don't Come Easy" was really good too.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 07:05 PM)

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 06:05 PM)

Ouch...I hit a nerve, didn't I? Sorry about that.

I stand by it though, he was pretty much worthless as far as members of The Beatles are concerned. Easily the one member you could have replaced. His songs may have been "classic", but in the ways that "Purple People Eater" are, and other classic tunes to be on Dr. Demento.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)

I stand by it though, he was pretty much worthless as far as members of The Beatles are concerned. Easily the one member you could have replaced. His songs may have been "classic", but in the ways that "Purple People Eater" are, and other classic tunes to be on Dr. Demento.

It has been said that the Beatles had two-and-a-half geniuses in the band — John and Paul and sometimes George. While not among the genius ranks, he was very much a part of the band chemistry which was important.

Faces fan that you are, you may think highly of Kenny Jones as a drummer (I thought he was fine, but replaceable like you say), but you can also appreciate that he had zero chemistry as part of the who. Daltrey never liked his drumming with the band, and ultimately that's what led to his ouster from the band. Of course, Kenny himself pretty much concurred, saying "There will never be a right Who drummer, it'll only ever be Keith."

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

Haha, because I didn't agree with what you said? My post didn't seem angry at all. Good one champ :) You just said something that was stupid. If you think Ringo could have been replaced and the band would have been basically the same, you are wrong. Study up on your Beatles history.