Beatles Poll

The Bones

Soxtalk's opinion of The Beatles  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Beatles album?

• Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • The White Album
    • Abbey Road
    • Other (please post your favorite)
    • I love them all
    • I hate The Beatles
    • I've never listened to a Beatles album all the way through
  2. 2. Who is your favorite Beatle?

• George
    • John
    • Paul
    • Ringo
    • I love them all
    • I hate The Beatles
    • Who are these guys?

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
Haha, because I didn't agree with what you said? My post didn't seem angry at all. Good one champ :) You just said something that was stupid. If you think Ringo could have been replaced and the band would have been basically the same, you are wrong. Study up on your Beatles history.

I enjoy how you definitively know everything that is either right or wrong. Does it ever get boring?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
Haha, because I didn't agree with what you said? My post didn't seem angry at all. Good one champ :) You just said something that was stupid. If you think Ringo could have been replaced and the band would have been basically the same, you are wrong. Study up on your Beatles history.

Haha, Champ, you think calling somebody "stupid" isn't a reason for somebody writing something back at you? I'm never confrontational on these boards, but I don't like somebody using the word "stupid" with me. No, I did not saying something was stupid. Many, many, many bands have replaced drummers, and the Beatles could have easily done the same with the least talented member of their band. Did he have hits? Yes. But the other members and even George Martin will say that they were throwing Ringo bones with his songs. Ringo could have been anybody else, and they would have still had the success. The bands success was reliant on John, Paul, and at times Harrison.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
It has been said that the Beatles had two-and-a-half geniuses in the band — John and Paul and sometimes George. While not among the genius ranks, he was very much a part of the band chemistry which was important.

Faces fan that you are, you may think highly of Kenny Jones as a drummer (I thought he was fine, but replaceable like you say), but you can also appreciate that he had zero chemistry as part of the who. Daltrey never liked his drumming with the band, and ultimately that's what led to his ouster from the band. Of course, Kenny himself pretty much concurred, saying "There will never be a right Who drummer, it'll only ever be Keith."

I adore Kenny with Faces and Small Faces. He was as instrumental to those bands as Moon was to The Who. Which is so odd that he was so ineffective with The Who. I can't say too much on the topic though, as I was never a fan of The Who. But Moon is a great example of a drummer who does something to actually be a part of the band, as did Jones with Faces. They added something to the mix. If in fact that was Starr on "Rain", then I wonder why he didn't show he had some feeling behind him more often. But even his stating how surprised he was by that drumming leads me to believe the band was doing A LOT of self medicating during that time period, Starr laid some tracks, left. Paul later said "let me see what I can do..." or Kenny Jones walked in and said "hey...can I try something on that track" and they laid those tracks down. Martin heard all of this, heard Starr's metronome playing, and then said "screw, they're all too f'ed up to remember what happened". Later Starr sits there saying "oh man...I know my playing...I know how I sound...that doesn't sound like me...but I am amazing...".

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 12, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
I can't believe 7 people actually posted that they have never listened to a Beatles album all of the way through. You all are missing out on one of the biggest influences on modern music out there.

I'm a HUGE music fan and I'll admit that I have never put on a Beatles record and listened to all of it, straight through, from beginning to end. In fact, I never owned a Beatles record. Does '#1" count?

Uh, sorry. :huh

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 13, 2009 -> 01:02 AM)
I'm a HUGE music fan and I'll admit that I have never put on a Beatles record and listened to all of it, straight through, from beginning to end. In fact, I never owned a Beatles record. Does '#1" count?

Uh, sorry. :huh

Yes, this is terrible. And likely it is the reason you are a HUGE music fan — you have been trying your whole life to compensate for the big hole left by the lack of Beatles music and nothing is cutting it.

:D

They say you get old when your favorite Beatle goes from John to Paul.

It's still John for me.

And as for Paul taking credit for the solo in "The End," Paul would take credit for half of John Lennon's solo catalogue if he could get away with it. Unless its Magical Mystery Tour, where everyone says that was all Paul, and Paul says "I don't know whose idea that was."

Ringo Starr's greatest contribution to the band (one of my favorite rock n roll moments actually) - "I GOT BLISTERS ON ME FINGERS!"

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 13, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
Yes, this is terrible. And likely it is the reason you are a HUGE music fan — you have been trying your whole life to compensate for the big hole left by the lack of Beatles music and nothing is cutting it.

:D

...but I have listened to a lot of Beatles music and I'm preeeeeetty sure that's ^ not the case.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 12:42 AM)
Unless I'm missing it, did anyone plunge down the fat change to by the remaster?

If so, review would be nice, and is it worth it? I might get it... if I land this job that's infront of me. If I get it, I will by it as my getting out of jail free card.

For $260, you would really have to be listening with a very close ear to pick up the differences between the remastered digital and the recordings of the recordings. This isn't like Let it Be Naked where it is a actually a different style being being recorded, or a completely new mix of music like Love.