Stick a fork in Dye

Paulie4Pres

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 07:36 AM)
Carlton Fisk says hello.

But I agree on principle, Dye was a fantastic signing, but its time to cut him loose after the season is over.

Jermaine Dye with White Sox has a World Series ring and another division title. He has 163 homers and 452 RBI and a top 5 MVP placement, in just under 5 years, while not playing under 138 games (not including this year).

Carlton Fisk hit 214 homers and drove in 762 over 13 different seasons, to go with the one playoff appearance and a Top 3 MVP placement.

I know that is the common acceptance around here, but Jermaine Dye has just as much claim to that title as Carlton.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
Jermaine Dye with White Sox has a World Series ring and another division title. He has 163 homers and 452 RBI and a top 5 MVP placement, in just under 5 years, while not playing under 138 games (not including this year).

Carlton Fisk hit 214 homers and drove in 762 over 13 different seasons, to go with the one playoff appearance and a Top 3 MVP placement.

I know that is the common acceptance around here, but Jermaine Dye has just as much claim to that title as Carlton.

I sense a threadjack coming, but Carlton Fisk's impact on the White Sox is far and away bigger than Dye's. I don't think its even close. Fisk was a HOF catcher on the club for over a decade - Dye has been a very good OF for 5 seasons. Zero doubt in my mind that Fisk had a bigger impact.

This isn't to diminish Dye's achievements BTW, he's been huge. 2nd best FA signing ever, I'd say. I was just saying that there is a big leap from there to Fisk.

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
JD has been a real Pro...I dont think we realize just how awesome he has been in Chicago...we will miss him when he is gone!!

We'll definitely miss him, but there's no way we can re-sign him after this atrocious 2nd half. Time to move on.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 08:44 AM)
He should be shut down if his back is bothering him.

One of the TV announcers this weekend (on TBS, IIRC) pointed this out. I have no idea how much of a problem his back has been, but if this indeed has been a contributing factor, maybe he needs a week off.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 07:06 AM)
I refuse to speak ill of Dye after all he's done for this organization in his time here. He was a great player for us.

Jermaine Dye is still awesome in my book. No doubt he is in some type of funk, but there is much upside to him still. It's incredible that folks wanted him gone and KW acquires Rios, who is doing just as bad as Dye if not worse. My guess it is just funk and he will come out of it. I am still game for him to stay with the Sox.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
It's funny how some people say there's no way you can bring Dye back, yet they immediately want to give a second chance to guys like Rios, Swisher, saying it was just an off year.

Dye obviously is hurt. You know it. I know it. Bring him back.

Age and injury history are clear differences between the 2 guys you cite and JD. JD is older and has a much longer injury history.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)
Age and injury history are clear differences between the 2 guys you cite and JD. JD is older and has a much longer injury history.

Jermaine's injury history is more of the unpreventable, bad luck kind of injury, versus a guy like Pods who just seems to be fragile. Of all things to worry about, I wouldn't not resign JD because of that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
Jermaine's injury history is more of the unpreventable, bad luck kind of injury, versus a guy like Pods who just seems to be fragile. Of all things to worry about, I wouldn't not resign JD because of that.

While that is true...you can't deny that his is a body that has taken more of a beating by this age than others'. I also wouldn't not re-up with JD based solely on that, but when looking at causes for his current slump I'm keeping it in mind.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 12:29 AM)
That's honestly as well as it can be said.

In fact, I'd go a step further and say he's been worse in the second half than he was good in the first half.

That was actually a quote from Family Guy mocking Tim McCarver. I just edited it a bit, as it seemed to fit.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
It's funny how some people say there's no way you can bring Dye back, yet they immediately want to give a second chance to guys like Rios, Swisher, saying it was just an off year.

Dye obviously is hurt. You know it. I know it. Bring him back.

Rios and Swisher are young ball players in their prime. Dye is an aging, veteran who is having a miserable second-half.

As previously stated, I believe his suckiness has to do with the uncertainty of his future with the Sox, ala '07. I think it's time to move on. Lets say we sign him for another year, does pretty good in the first half of 2010. Then falls apart again in the second half all worried about his future with the Sox. I think it's more mental.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
As previously stated, I believe his suckiness has to do with the uncertainty of his future with the Sox, ala '07. I think it's time to move on. Lets say we sign him for another year, does pretty good in the first half of 2010. Then falls apart again in the second half all worried about his future with the Sox. I think it's more mental.

I do agree that part of it is probably mental. At least part, maybe most or all.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)

JamesDiego, with a nice insightful post. Now, go back to posing half-naked pictures of Kotsay’s wife.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
JD's struggles is a huge reason why this team is 6.5 games back and not 2.5 games back. If he's not injured im pretty worried about his rapid decline in production. If thats the case, I would be extrememly hesitant to bring him back in 2010.

He basically just shut down in the matter of a few days. He went from raking to puking within a week. One week he's going 10/25 with 12 RBIs, then he's 1/25 the following week and stuck in that funk since. He has to be hurt, or he's really mentally screwed up out there.