Obama Speech on Health Care, 9/9/09

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 09:10 PM)
Respect the office. I thought it was outrageous when the Code Pink jackasses interrupted Bush's speeches. They however are not elected officials. The elected officals should know that is about the office of the president.

The other thing is the pep rally affect. This has been going on for years. One side jumps up, claps like they never heard such a great thing. The other side keeps sitting, makes faces and looks grumpy. The dems did it with bush, and the republicans are doing it with Obama. Its dumb either way. How about a new rule ( not to sound Bill Maherish ). Keep your ass in the seat until the speech is over. No response to the speech until its over good or bad. Its a speech, not an interactive talk.

I always thought it was funny when the camera would zoom in on Hillary Clinton or whoever while they had that "ok I'm clapping but I think this is bulls***" look.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)
Yes to all of it. I was fairly impressed with this speech, I gotta say.

No matter what you can say about Obama, he is a damn gifted speaker. In the end, the devil is in the details of how this gets paid for, and how it gets implemented.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 06:49 PM)
Also I want to know how he was lying about the illegal immigrant there when I've seen a passage (I don't know which one or where) that specifically says what he just said.

Here's how it works. Basically, you assume that at some point immigration reform has to happen, and you can't exclude immigrants from your health care system, because then you disadvantage native workers strongly.

You're probably saying, but wait! I thought none of the health bills extend coverage to undocumented immigrants! That's true, but because President Obama has said comprehensive immigration reform -- including a path to legalization -- is on his agenda for later this year, anti-immigrant legislators are agitating about the eventual inclusion of today's illegals in tomorrow's health care system. They'd like to "contain costs" by writing a provision into health reform barring future legalized residents, at least for a period of time, from accessing government subsidized health care, as all current legal residents would be able to do. They'd also like language in the bill requiring government agencies to verify legal residency before enrolling people in the public plan or providing them with subsidies to purchase private insurance.

Giving immigrants a path to legal residency without equal access to health care would not only be inhumane, it would be awful for low-income Americans. Why would an employer hire an American citizen, for whom he will have to provide health coverage, when he could instead hire a perfectly legal new resident, who is exempt from health insurance mandates?

That really is kind of a moot point, because then they are no longer illegal. Plus I don't really see how it matters if they are legal, employed, productive, tax-paying American citizens (it's not like all illegals come here just to mooch but this is just accepted as fact in dumbed-down immigration debates).

Trying to arbitrarily tie the two together is kind of intellectually dishonest. The way things work in the ideologue's world and in the actual world are totally different.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 07:59 PM)
It works for the Prime Minister across the pond.

Yah that moment reminded me of Canada in a way too. But of course this joint session is nothing like our Question Period where heckling is allowed. Also, the Prime Minister isn't really the Commander in Chief and doesn't really have the same pomp as the President. The most similar things we have to speeches like this one or State of the Nation speeches are our Throne Speeches which are written by the Prime Minister and officials but read by the Queen's representative in silence with the Prime Minister seated next to him or her.

Even in debate and Question Period in Canada I don't believe that members recognized to speak by the Speaker are allowed to call other members "liars". If they do the are removed from the house. You have to be more creative in your choice of words I guess.

"This evening I let my emotions get the best of me when listening to the President's remarks regarding the coverage of illegal immigrants in the health care bill. While I disagree with the President's statement, my comments were inappropriate and regrettable. I extend sincere apologies to the President for this lack of civility."
Rep Joe Wilson, R-SC.

That was really fast. 1.5 hours.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 08:59 PM)
Smile Congressman Wilson, you're on camera.

art.youlie.gi.jpg

ABC News-

Asked about the interruption by ABC News, a Republican National Committee official did not confirm the identity of the heckler, but said: “The reality is the President was not telling the truth about illegal immigrants getting access to care under the bill.”

that's nice... "wink and nod" support the guy.

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 09:05 PM)
Yah that moment reminded me of Canada in a way too. But of course this joint session is nothing like our Question Period where heckling is allowed. Also, the Prime Minister isn't really the Commander in Chief and doesn't really have the same pomp as the President. The most similar things we have to speeches like this one or State of the Nation speeches are our Throne Speeches which are written by the Prime Minister and officials but read by the Queen's representative in silence with the Prime Minister seated next to him or her.

Even in debate and Question Period in Canada I don't believe that members recognized to speak by the Speaker are allowed to call other members "liars". If they do the are removed from the house. You have to be more creative in your choice of words I guess.

No mater what people do in other countries, shouting out during a speech to the join houses is not acceptable on any level.. ever. THat's not how it's done here. You respect the president, even if you disagree with him. The "tradition" is just to not applaud on points you disagree with. that is you "heckle"

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
No mater what people do in other countries, shouting out during a speech to the join houses is not acceptable on any level.. ever. THat's not how it's done here. You respect the president, even if you disagree with him. The "tradition" is just to not applaud on points you disagree with. that is you "heckle"

I'm sure worse has happened before. But it does give the talking heads an interesting point to focus on.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)

After the 8 years of W, it is funny to see that in a Democratic thread.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 09:52 PM)
After the 8 years of W, it is funny to see that in a Democratic thread.

I dont think Bush was ever yelled at during a speech to congress.

Many hated him and thought he did a REAL bad job, but you still respect him.

EDIT: Although, i cant say that with 100% athority because Bish became so unlisenable the last few years I refused to watch his state of the union.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000