Obama Speech on Health Care, 9/9/09

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 07:58 AM)
Turns out Illinois Republican House Rep John Shimkus walked out of the speech early.

Not as bad as the shout-out, but still inappropriate and unprofessional. This isn't a baseball game, jackass.

I'm now going to go find out where his district is, and see who his likely opponent will be in 2010.

So walking out is worse than booing? Democrats LOUDLy bood and jeered Bush when he told them social security needed major fixing a few years back. Don't recall much condemnation there.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 08:43 AM)
So walking out is worse than booing? Democrats LOUDLy bood and jeered Bush when he told them social security needed major fixing a few years back. Don't recall much condemnation there.

Definitely worse than booing, yes, IMO. But not as bad as shouting down the President and calling him a liar.

The booing thing, and the stupid one-sided uber appluase thing, are both annoying and very prevalent on both sides.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 08:47 AM)
Definitely worse than booing, yes, IMO. But not as bad as shouting down the President and calling him a liar.

The booing thing, and the stupid one-sided uber appluase thing, are both annoying and very prevalent on both sides.

I agree with the applause after every damn line, whoever is speaking. Stop that and the speech be over in 15 minutes.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)

It is?

But how is walking out worse than booing? If anything it's a passive way of disagreeing. Of course he should have just sat his ass down and shut up like an adult rather than walk out, but IMO it is no way worse than audibly booing.

Former Bush and McCain strategist Mark McKinnon wants the congressman who shouted at Obama out of office and out of his party—and he's donating $1,000 to his opponent.

I’m a Republican, but I’d rather have a Democrat in Congress who I may disagree with but who has some fundamental character and decency that Wilson clearly lacks. So, today I’m volunteering for Republicans for Rob Miller, Wilson’s opponent, a former Marine and Iraq veteran, and am sending him a $1,000 check.

There’s only one way to we’re going to change our political climate and ensure we establish some respect in our discourse. And that is to show there is a real price to pay for being a disrespectful partisan idiot.

Send Joe Wilson home.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 01:20 PM)
Former Bush and McCain strategist Mark McKinnon wants the congressman who shouted at Obama out of office and out of his party—and he's donating $1,000 to his opponent.

This is why I like the fact that Wilson is getting crushed on donations now (though I am sure Wilson will get some big ones too). If we, the voters, want better, then we need to do our part. Voting is part, so is donating if you want to do more. Having this sort of response to his actions is a great thing, IMO, regardless of what party Wilson is in.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 12:01 AM)
I've mostly stayed away from 'Busterly threads for more han a year now, because getting too impassioned about stuff here was not doing my mental health any good. If I had the stomach for it anymore, this (US heath care) would be where I'd put some heart into a debate (the environmental debates notwithstanding, because I still have the bruises from beating my head against those walls too).

Shame on me though, because I'm not going to get overly into the debate over the best of the bad compromises in US health care reform. I'm one of those certifiable whackjobs that believe health should be a human right and not a privilege. That's a majority opinion according to national as well as international polls, but it's sufficient to make me a left-wing extremist in the current political discourse, so it's not worth discussing my fringe viewpoints too much in mixed company.

If you can, post why you think health should be a human right. I've seen other's opinions on this, but I really would like to view yours, even if I disagree. I at least respect your opinion, even if I differ from it.

If you don't want to, I understand.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
This is why I like the fact that Wilson is getting crushed on donations now

It's likely going to be a wash on donations. There has been a front page Druge ad for Wilson and the GOP is reporting he will go over $1,000,000 in recent contributions. Top that off with his insurance industry bribes, I don't think he will be at a fund raising disadvantage for elections next year.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 12, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)
It's likely going to be a wash on donations. There has been a front page Druge ad for Wilson and the GOP is reporting he will go over $1,000,000 in recent contributions. Top that off with his insurance industry bribes, I don't think he will be at a fund raising disadvantage for elections next year.

His opponent, who happens to be a war veteran, will have the advantage of running ads of Wilson looking like a complete douche bag at that speech. Can't imagine moderates and independents wanting to be linked to a petty hyper-partisan.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 12, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)
His opponent, who happens to be a war veteran, will have the advantage of running ads of Wilson looking like a complete douche bag at that speech. Can't imagine moderates and independents wanting to be linked to a petty hyper-partisan.

I wouldn't base an entire campaign around the 'lie' interruption, it's going to be old news in a year. 90% of congress are petty hyper-partisans.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 12, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)

It does energize Wilson's opponent base however. And a smart candidate will figure out a way to motivate them beyond this.

...in 2003, Wilson voted to provide federal funds for illegal immigrants’ healthcare. The vote came on the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement and Modernization Act of 2003, which contained Sec. 1011 authorizing $250,000 annually between 2003 and 2008 for government reimbursements to hospitals who provide treatment for uninsured illegal immigrants. The program has been extended through 2009 and there is currently a bipartisan bill in Congress to make it permanent.

LINK

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 12, 2009 -> 08:12 AM)

It's worth thinking about this though...last election, the guy won in the same matchup wiht 53% of the vote. But this money bomb for both sides has totally reshaped where it was compared to last year; last time the Dem was outspent by something like a factor of 5. Now it's suddenly a lot closer to even, at the worst.