Field Turf at Soldier Field?

Field Turf at Soldier Field?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Chicago Bears/Chicago Park District Instal Field Turf at Soldier Field?

• Yes
    • No

I dont like the idea of field turf, but at this point I have to agree with it. They cannot keep that grass in there, it just doesnt take, and doesnt hold up. People are slipping all over the place and the field looks absolutely atrocious no matter what time of year

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
No. Rubber smells badly from Field turf. Like really badly. I remember going to St. Ignatius when they installed it...puke.

Well good thing I dont have to smell field turf when I am watching it on TV

seriously though, installation smell issue aside, Field turf would be safer for the players, and more visually appealing to the national tv audience. Unless the Bears and the CPD get together and decide to hire a real grounds crew(calling Roger Bossard), it is inevitable that field turf is coming. Neither the bears or the park district are going to stand pat while everyone from current players to media to a players poll are ripping on the quality of the field.

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 03:02 PM)
I've heard that because of the soccer games played at Soldier Field they can't play on field turf. The soccer games have to be on grass.

well they built toyota park specifically for soccer, so use that :D

I can't think of a single reason why anybody would answer no to this. Soldier Field is at a minimum one of the three worst playing surfaces in the NFL (more than likely it's the worst), and fieldturf would solve a lot of problems. When you consider that FIFA allows it now (I think the poster who said they do earlier in the thread is right), there is no reason not to install it.

The Bears pay nothing to play there and get all of the revenue from theoir games. The sweetest of sweetheart deals. The Park District could care less what the field conditions are for the Bears.

Remember when New England installed Field Turf in two weeks. The point was brought up to the Bears and they said the CPD would have to pay for it.

The park district will not do it.

Why the Bears don't........they are still the Bears.

Why have real grass if after every major event you have to rip it up and replace it?

ChicagoBreakingNews.com-

_soldierfield640.jpg

Crews removed the old sod from Soldier Field this morning as the gigantic U2 stage used for last weekend's two concerts continues to be taken down. (José M. Osorio / Chicago Tribune)

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
I'm a grass man all the way. :headbang The condition of it might suck, so pay someone who knows what they're doing to maintain it. I hate the field turf in every stadium i've been to. I like the authentic feel of using actual ground versus the fake stuff.

yeah authentic mud and painted dirt are great

Top quality field turf is better than what most of us have played on. Still field turf is superior than grass for football since the ball isnt on the ground. The rub is that it needs to be a heated surface at Soldier Field because that s*** freezes and becomes worse than grass in the snow.