Alex "Mother-Bleeper" Rios

Quin

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think we have the pieces right in our own backyard to compete in 2010. A new year can make all the difference

A lot of teams' fans have been singing the "wait til next year" song for a long long time. Talent wins games. On paper we have a lot of talent next year just as we had on paper this year. We also have some holes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)
A lot of teams' fans have been singing the "wait til next year" song for a long long time. Talent wins games. On paper we have a lot of talent next year just as we had on paper this year. We also have some holes.

And we have a GM who we know will be aggressive in trying to fill them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
And we have a GM who we know will be aggressive in trying to fill them.

Usually yes. Last year, not so much. Cowley mentioned again over the weekend that losing the Pontiac sponsorship will hurt again this offseason. He said most of the heavy lifting has already been done. There's interest in Figgins (which is no secret) but teams like the Yankees and Cubs are also interested in Chone. The Sox don't win many bidding wars against those two teams. Time will tell what happens.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
Usually yes. Last year, not so much. Cowley mentioned again over the weekend that losing the Pontiac sponsorship will hurt again this offseason. He said most of the heavy lifting has already been done. There's interest in Figgins (which is no secret) but teams like the Yankees and Cubs are also interested in Chone. The Sox don't win many bidding wars against those two teams. Time will tell what happens.

The Cubs are out of the bidding unless they trade off some major salary.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
The Cubs are out of the bidding unless they trade off some major salary.

Are we really sure about that? Hasn't their ownership situation basically been resolved, to the point that if the new owner wanted to start spending money again he could?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
Are we really sure about that? Hasn't their ownership situation basically been resolved, to the point that if the new owner wanted to start spending money again he could?

There has been zero indication that they are going to raise the payroll over there. As a matter of a fact, the Rickett's deal took so long to get done because they were having trouble putting together the money to finish the deal. I don't see that changing with the choke job over there and the economy still not doing any favor to advertising revenues for sports franchises.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 05:43 PM)
There has been zero indication that they are going to raise the payroll over there. As a matter of a fact, the Rickett's deal took so long to get done because they were having trouble putting together the money to finish the deal. I don't see that changing with the choke job over there and the economy still not doing any favor to advertising revenues for sports franchises.

Was it because he didn't have the money, or was it because he was negotiating a deal to better suit the current economic environment? There's a huge difference. If he didn't have the money, I find it hard to imagine that Zell would have taken him seriously in the first place.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 10:49 PM)
Was it because he didn't have the money, or was it because he was negotiating a deal to better suit the current economic environment? There's a huge difference. If he didn't have the money, I find it hard to imagine that Zell would have taken him seriously in the first place.

The couldn't raise the money. It was all over the news.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 08:02 AM)
The couldn't raise the money. It was all over the news.

I apologize. I was so sick of the news about the sale that I tuned it out if it was being talked about. I'm surprised this was even an issue seeing all of the checks and balances that are in order when a potential new ownership group makes a bid.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 12:31 AM)
I hope we leave Gordon at third for the next 12 years. Lexi should go play winter ball just to work on his defense. I like he and Beckham at third and ss. Can't we do better than what we got at 2B?

Where will Figgins play?

Figgins would probably play LF with Rios in CF and Quentin in RF

Maybe it's the curse of centerfield at the Cell and we need to bring out a picture of Aaron Roward to cf and burn it.

Nobody has done anything in cf since Aaron.

Pods falls all over himself when he's out there. Every fly ball is an adventure.

Rios, who had a fair track record, can't buy a base hit now that he's in cf here.

Wise draws venom from all fans when he's out there, the catch notwithstanding.

BA's career ruined by his inability to hit while playing cf for us.

Is it a curse??? Time to exorcise the cf demons at the Cell. Rios' career is at stake otherwise.

Simply put, I think Ozzie's management style works for maybe 2% of the team. I think the reason we suck and are giving up is that no one believes his "Blame Me" speeches and no one is motivated to play for him. If he cared for his players, he'd shut his mouth and let them play instead of making them walk on eggshells being afraid of what he's going to say about them in the media. I think he sucks the life out of the team every year. If they win, its in spite of him... not because of him.

QUOTE (sox1844 @ Sep 19, 2009 -> 12:22 PM)
Simply put, I think Ozzie's management style works for maybe 2% of the team. I think the reason we suck and are giving up is that no one believes his "Blame Me" speeches and no one is motivated to play for him. If he cared for his players, he'd shut his mouth and let them play instead of making them walk on eggshells being afraid of what he's going to say about them in the media. I think he sucks the life out of the team every year. If they win, its in spite of him... not because of him.

So, your view is that under a different manager, our lineup wouldn't be in one, big, massive, collective slump right now? For the record, I don't think this is Ozzie's fault at all. Rios slumped under Gaston, a totally different manager than Ozzie, and he's slumping now.

When the big talent, most of it veteran talent, can't produce, there's not much Ozzie can do about it. He's dropped guys in the lineup order and benched guys, and nothing has changed. For all their historical production or future potential, the Sox lineup is full of terrible hitters right now. As the saying goes, you can either fire the coach or fire the players, and I think some of these players are going to get "fired" in the offseason.

Just win, baby.

When the team is doing well, he's very complimentary of the guys. Guys who deserve praise he gives praise.

I can't think of another manager who tells it like it is like Oz. Pinella can be crusty, but he doesn't call out players. Who does besides Oz?

He's definitely unique.