Stupid BCS

Chisoxfn

two things

1) iowa has themselves to blame if they miss out. they should have taken care of business against iowa state, instead of letting them come back.

2) they have had one of the easier schedules this year, 2nd easiest of the top 15 in the bcs. if they play USC's schedule there's no way they only have one loss.

But I am not saying it's right. I hate how the computer rankings are involved. The people that run those computer rankings admit they hardly ever watch a single game. I think the computers are the presidents' fall back to tweak the system to their liking. Iowa ends up .51 behind USC, because of a 1.67 pt difference in computer average.

USC's losses were nothing exceptional, they just lost two games.

Iowa lost one game and there is no reason to jump USC past Iowa unless Iowa screwed itself by ending their season a week early while USC was on prime time football and the voters are idiots.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

They lost to an Iowa State team that at one point was ranked in the top 10 and it was a game that Iowa blew.

I'm glad Vince is on my side with this one.

Vince, you think Iowa would beat Ohio State?

Thank you!

I saw Iowa play in Ann Arbor and I watched a lot of OSU on tv tring to scout them and then of course when we played them. My opinion is shared by others who have had the same experience of seeing Iowa live and OSU in person or on tv.

Iowa is better than OSU. Defense very close but Iowa slightly better. Offense: Iowa blows OSU off the field.

If OSU plays Miami, I will predict an OSU win. They play the type of game that Miami does not see much of and are physical to hold their own. Miami has won some close ones too, they are not unbeatable.

Based on today's BCS, very hard to see Iowa sneaking into the Fiesta. Washington St. still has to play UCLA, right? and that means that one team wins and one teams loses that USC played and shouldn't affect their BCS scoring that much, not enough to drop them below an idle Iowa if Miami and Georgia both lose next Saturday.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

They lost to an Iowa State team that at one point was ranked in the top 10 and it was a game that Iowa blew.

I'm glad Vince is on my side with this one.

Vince, you think Iowa would beat Ohio State?

An Iowa State team that lost to UConn.

n**** please

Originally posted by theoldroman

Even tho I hate Ohio state I have a hard time thinking that any team could beat them, even Miami.

Which bowl game is Penn State going to? Theyre my team...

I agree that OSU would beat Miami, IMHO.

Michigan WHICH BEAT PENN STATE AGAIN AS WE DO EVERY SEASON and Penn State are going to the Citrus Bowl now Capital One Bowl and the Outback Bowl. But no one knows which yet. UM has been to the Citrus a lot recently, 3 of last 4, 99, 01, and 02. haven't been to the Outback since 97. Michigan should go to the Citrus again but the bowl has the option of going PSU because they want new tourists.

Both teams will always get a good bowl since we travel well, as they say.

An Iowa State team that lost to UConn.

Michigan beat Washington which beat Washington State which beat USC. Gonna rank us better than USC?

How Iowa State lost to UConn is a mystery but they were a top 10 team and Iowa-ISU is a bitter in state rivalry so I don't hold that early season loss against Iowa. Iowa sure as hell got better as the year went on and didn't have all the close ones that a lot of other top teams had, they won convincingly.

Just my worthless opinion.

1) No freaking way OSU is beating Miami. No way, no how. It will be like the Rose Bowl last year.

2) Washington beat Wazzu in OT because Gesser got hurt and the backup absolutely blew it.

3) The highest Iowa State was ranked was 9th in the AP, 13th in the ESPN/USA Today. At the time the only quality team (besides Iowa) they had beaten was Texas Tech. They went on to lose 49-3 to Oklahoma the next week.

But none of this matters. Should Iowa be in the Rose Bowl? Yes they should. Will they? Who the hell knows with these schizo rankings.

I think we all can agree that its time for a playoff system. The heck with conference winners, just straight up the Top 10 Teams with a mixture of computer polls, strenght of schedule and the AP and ESPN polls.

Then two teams get the bye or however that works out.

I'm not in favor of a playoff This is supposed to be college football and the season goes on too long already. I liked the old system. So what if we had two champions - gave us something to talk about. There is way too much money floating out there and too long of a season.

Originally posted by cwsox

I'm not in favor of a playoff  This is supposed to be college football and the season goes on too long already.  I liked the old system.  So what if we had two champions - gave us something to talk about.      There is way too much money floating out there and too long of a season.

Yeah there won't ever be one. The presidents love the money the bowls generate, and they will use the longer season as an excuse not to. I like the bowls too but I wouldn't mind seeing a playoff.

It really was sad that the presiden ts - not the ADs or coaches - added the 12th game to make $$$. From what I read, the coaches and ADs don't like the 12th game - what with the "pre season bowls" and the league playoffs and post season bowls look at how long the season is and the injury factor goes way up.

Side note: the BCS football schools are dominating the Final 4 of the NCAA basketball tourney. All that bowl money is being used to support basketball. I read that the past four years the only nonBCSFinal Four team was UConn and they have since joined the Big East. Not just the Gonzagas are being frozen out here - Memphis and Louisville and Cincinnati are too.

And the BCS schools made it so a 4 loss Florida State is guaranteed an Orange or Sugar bowl bid (champ of the ACC) while USC or Iowa may still yet be not offered a BCS bid, depending on what happens next Saturday.

Originally posted by cwsox

I'm not in favor of a playoff  This is supposed to be college football and the season goes on too long already.  I liked the old system.  So what if we had two champions - gave us something to talk about.      There is way too much money floating out there and too long of a season.

Using the playoff system would not LENGTHEN, but instead SHORTEN the season. In 1-AA, we start the playoffs IMMEDIATELY, at the completion of the regular season, and everything is done by the beginning of December. In 1-A, teams sit on their asses for a month, some waiting for the new year to begin. THIS is what LENGHTENS the season.

Originally posted by HeatherTheRedbird

Using the playoff system would not LENGTHEN, but instead SHORTEN the season. In 1-AA, we start the playoffs IMMEDIATELY, at the completion of the regular season, and everything is done by the beginning of December. In 1-A, teams sit on their asses for a month, some waiting for the new year to begin. THIS is what LENGHTENS the season.

Yes, but that won't happen. The bowl system has been around for a 100 years and too much money at stake. The bowls will always be there, and you can't have bowls and playoffs.

I am a big fan of GVSU which is going for the Division II national title so I see the playoffs close up. The decision was made Monday where next saturday's playoff game is. Easy to do for GVSU and N. Colorado, because how fans will actually travel and the money stakes are not there, the playoff game is not designed to promote local commerce.

But the bowls are. I got my email from Michigan today to buy my Outback Bowl tickets. It does take the big schools a month to go to a bowl game because of the size of the teams, staffs, bands, and to promote the game to sell the tickets that make bowls viable. And the bowls are essential to the wining and dining of the big donors to the big schools. Not so with the Divuision IAA, II, or III playoffs. Not a part of the lifestyle.

Get rid of the bowls and you can have playoffs, but you will never eliminate the bowls. And the bowls will never agree to become playoff hosts. The amount of money that flows to the bowl host of a good bowl is far, far, far, far more than what will flow to whoever hosts the Division IAA, II, or III playoffs.

In an ideal world, yes. In reality, no.