Justin Morneau done for the rest of the year

CSF

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
So, doctor people...what's the long-term implications of a stress fracture in one's back?

If it's truly a stress fracture, there will not be any long term effects.

However, if it expands into a larger "crack" so to speak and is near the facets joint of a vertebrae, it can lead to instability and have a lasting effect.

Im' sure this is why they are shutting him down, to prevent the problem from expanding into a larger fracture.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)
If it's truly a stress fracture, there will not be any long term effects.

However, if it expands into a larger "crack" so to speak and is near the facets joint of a vertebrae, it can lead to instability and have a lasting effect.

Im' sure this is why they are shutting him down, to prevent the problem from expanding into a larger fracture.

So a back fracture is on what bone in your back? From your description it sounds like it's actually on his spine?!?!? Jesus, that HAS to be painful as all hell.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 07:43 PM)
Yeah, its only the guys life and livelihood we are talking about... But hopefully a bus hits you tonight for this post.

He's made somewhere around $80 million guaranteed in his career already. I don't think he's going to find himself living on the streets if something bad happens to him.

Now, if I got ran over by a bus, I'd be dead. If he has back problems, the worst place he will find himself is a nice house in paradise.

Big difference.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 07:47 PM)
He's made somewhere around $80 million guaranteed in his career already. I don't think he's going to find himself living on the streets if something bad happens to him.

Now, if I got ran over by a bus, I'd be dead. If he has back problems, the worst place he will find himself is a nice house in paradise.

Big difference.

What do you think happens if a broken bone in your spinal column moves around too much? :bang

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)
So a back fracture is on what bone in your back? From your description it sounds like it's actually on his spine?!?!? Jesus, that HAS to be painful as all hell.

I'm sure it is in the spine.

Your vertebrae, which make up the spine, are irregular bones with thick bodies and thin projections to which muscles and ligaments attach. They protect the spinal cord but also serve as a guidance mechanism for movement. The facets joints are on the thin projections and are susceptible to stress fracture and cracks. it will hurts with any rotation (hitting) or with bending to extreme ranges. If the fractures progress far enough the vertebra can begin to slide on one another and in severe cases pinch the spinal cord. This extreme case rarely happens.

It's best to rest and let it heal if a fracture can be detected because that is a sign of too much stress in the area and it will only continue to get worse. It will probably take 4-12 weeks to heal.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)
I'm sure it is in the spine.

Your vertebrae, which make up the spine, are irregular bones with thick bodies and thin projections to which muscles and ligaments attach. They protect the spinal cord but also serve as a guidance mechanism for movement. The facets joints are on the thin projections and are susceptible to stress fracture and cracks. it will hurts with any rotation (hitting) or with bending to extreme ranges. If the fractures progress far enough the vertebra can begin to slide on one another and in severe cases pinch the spinal cord. This extreme case rarely happens.

It's best to rest and let it heal if a fracture can be detected because that is a sign of too much stress in the area and it will only continue to get worse. It will probably take 4-12 weeks to heal.

He must have some kind of torque going on in his swing to get an injury like you describe. As usual, appreciate your insight dude.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
What do you think happens if a broken bone in your spinal column moves around too much? :bang

It would be a life-threatening condition, obviously. But this is not life-threatening, yet, and neither is Crede's injury.

Are you a Twins fan or something?

There's nothing wrong about wishing injury that you did not induce on your opponents.

How old are you?

If you truly wish injury on a fellow human being, IMO something is wrong with you or the way you were raised. If this is considered a personal attack, turn me into the humane police force.

Your second sentence is the worst single sentence I've ever read on Soxtalk. There can be none worse than that sentence. Ever.

We are all anonymous on here. If you wrote that in a letter to the editor to the Trib and they printed it, your name would be mud in the entire city of Chicago. Nobody wishes ill on a fellow human being in a civilized society.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
How old are you?

If you truly wish injury on a fellow human being, IMO something is wrong with you or the way you were raised. If this is considered a personal attack, turn me into the humane police force.

Your second sentence is the worst single sentence I've ever read on Soxtalk. There can be none worse than that sentence. Ever.

Oh yeah, like the people who were asking if this would be a sustained injury meant something totally different from what I said.

I'm pretty sure all of us have gotten mad and irritated at some player of the opposing team, especially on the Twins or even any divisional rival. If, say, Miguel Cabrera gets hurt before a big series against the Tigers, I'm sure a lot of you would be cheering for him not to play in that said series. Hell, if it's a divisional race like it is now, most of you will be happy that he won't be able to contribute much for the rest of the year.

It's not that I wish serious injury upon other people so that they would die (I don't know why any of you would infer that since I compared it to Joe Crede's injury, which is NOT life-threatening), it's just that it would make our life easier, as Sox fans if they did not play and do damage against the team we root for.

Don't tell me that Vikings fans and Packers fans aren't somewhat glad over Urlacher's injury. It's not that they wanted that to happen, it's that it did happen, it benefits their team, and they are happy because it benefits their team. They had nothing to do with the injury.

And really, if that's the worst thing you've seen on the internet, you should open up to the internet a bit more...

Edited by chw42

There's nothing wrong about wishing injury that you did not induce on your opponents.

Your last post makes it sound less threatening than the above sentence. If you didn't mean it as badly as it sounded, fine.

But you asked if I was a Twins fan, then said "there's nothing wrong about wishing injury that you did not induce."

That means you are wishing injury on a human being. Why don't you show some class and edit that post and get it off the board. It truly is a bad, bad sentiment and makes you appear like a classless fool whether you meant it that way or not.

I also get defensive when discussing back injuries because any surgery on that area is so serious. I know a guy who had a fairly minor back problem, operated on and he's using a cane now and he's only in his late 30s.

Edited by greg775