Trib's Most Recent Q&A

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
He might have been a great player, but he had a very unique approach and really its typically the mediocre guy that had to work at everything that ends up making the great hitting coach.

Plus communication is a huge factor on what makes a coach good and Thomas was never known for his communication abilities.

Agree with all of this. And as I read it, I immediately thought of Jeff Cirillo. He was an 11th round pick who made the Majors, played a long career as a starter and a bench player, and finished with a .296 career average. Here's a brief interview I just found off google: http://www.hallofverygood.com/2009/08/talk...ff-cirillo.html

This part interested me:

HOVG: Of all the accomplishments you had throughout your career…what achievement means most?

CIRILLO: I believe my greatest achievement in baseball was going down to Mexico back in 2004 and playing six weeks in the winter league at the age of 35 to break a mechanical flaw I had in my swing. From outside perspective, it could have been easy to walk away. For me, I had put myself into a huge mechanical flaw where I tinkered with a toe tap and eventually couldn’t break it. I knew the only way to have a shot at playing was to go to Mexico and work this flaw out. It wasn’t easy, considering my family didn’t endorse it…I had to produce or be sent home and the stigma of playing in Mexico at 35 years old. This six week quest enabled me to play three more productive MLB seasons and when I retired, I was able to let it go knowing that I had made it all the way back.

He played in both leagues for 6 different teams for 14 seasons combined, so I imagine he's learned a thing or two about helping youngsters with their problems. He's a dedicated baseball man, so as long as he's a good communicator I think he could work. The interview says he's been working as a scout for the DBacks since retiring.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 08:30 PM)
Agree with all of this. And as I read it, I immediately thought of Jeff Cirillo. He was an 11th round pick who made the Majors, played a long career as a starter and a bench player, and finished with a .296 career average. Here's a brief interview I just found off google: http://www.hallofverygood.com/2009/08/talk...ff-cirillo.html

This part interested me:

He played in both leagues for 6 different teams for 14 seasons combined, so I imagine he's learned a thing or two about helping youngsters with their problems. He's a dedicated baseball man, so as long as he's a good communicator I think he could work. The interview says he's been working as a scout for the DBacks since retiring.

Finally, a well thought-out replacement. I personally don't think he'd be better than Walker, but I applaud you for coming up with the name of someone who looks legit and the Sox, if they did get a new hitting coach, probably could lure.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 08:40 PM)
Finally, a well thought-out replacement. I personally don't think he'd be better than Walker, but I applaud you for coming up with the name of someone who looks legit and the Sox, if they did get a new hitting coach, probably could lure.

Thanks.

As far as Walker goes, it's still kind of hard to judge him I think. The veterans will do what they want to do and there are always other issues with each player, like Paulie's thumb and wrist issues, and CQ's wrist issues, and Thome's and Dye's general deterioration do to age. I don't really know if you can credit Walker a whole lot for Pods because it looks like Pods pretty much made his changes before coming here a second time. Getz and Beckham have hit, but as far as prospects go, both guys were about as polished as you could expect a hitter to be coming in as a rookie.

My main criticism over the years probably has been the BA situation where Walker made comments about letting BA fail before fixing anything. But while I completely disagree with that, that philosophy had been echoed throughout the minor league system as BA was coming up, and BA had a ton of problems to fix before Walker even got to touch him. So I don't fault Walker specifically for that, rather the minor league development system.

Walker did make some progress with Fields coming in to this season, but Fields lost all that. Josh was (briefly) catching up the the fastball within the new crouch he tried, but that all went away too. Also Aaron Rowand credited Walker for having his big season in Philly before hitting FA.

It's hard for me to make an argument for or against Walker as a hitting coach, but as I've said before, if he has any major faults it is in the communication department because I doubt it has anything to do with a lack of knowledge about hitting. And as I alluded to above, he may have also been hampered by a s***ty minor league development program.

The only thing I'm positive about when it comes to the Greg Walker situation is that, if we bring in someone else, I'd like it to be someone new who is NOT a product of the older Sox ways, and I'd like to see the change made, at the very latest, before ST 2010. Whoever is going to be here, I'd like him to get a fresh start with players in ST rather than having to step in later and work on things then. In ST every player is confident and ready because they haven't had the numbers count yet, so it is that kind of situation where I'd like to see new personnel work with players. It's better that way than trying to work with some guy midseason who may not be very receptive because of a first half funk. Get with the guys when they're all thinking they're going to have great seasons and let them try out any new changes with confidence, and let them work on things in the more relaxed atmosphere of ST where the numbers don't count instead of doing it in the middle of a contending season where every failed opportunity is magnified.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
In the most recent White Sox Q&A there was some speculation that Walker might not come back next year. Not that Walker is getting fired, more that he might resign or retire.

Just thought it was worthy of news.

Interesting. I'm not sure how much I blame Walker for Rios, Dye, and Quentin pretty much being the primary reasons the Sox offense has been bad during the second half.

On the flip side, if we get rid of him, we better get a proven, real good hitting coach. We needa guy with a major league track record be it the guy inTexas or Hriniak.

I don't want someone without experience dealing with major leaguers.

If people think we would hire a big named hitting coach to replace Walker, you all are crazy. Let me put it this way, how many big named managers and coaches have the Sox ever hired? I'd bet money someone gets promoted from within the system. Heck I could see a Buddy Bell being the guy to come here.