Eric Bedard for 2010?

joeynach

We all know the white sox 4 man rotation will consist of Peavy, Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd. The question is how do we anchor that down with the 5th starter. Im sure none of us want some experiment or a clown car of guys coming up and trying to fill that spot. So why not take a shot with Eric Bedard. He is a free agent and coming off an injury riddled year, but has also shown to have much success when healthy. He is probably going to miss the first month of 2010. This would allow him to be signed for the cheap with a 1 year incentive laden deal. I think he would be a good risk to try out. He is a much better option than sweaty "88 mph fastball" Garcia, though the two could forge insurance against each other for the 5th starter spot as well. Any thoughts.

Bedard is good when heatlhy, but he's a huge baby and will get a lot more money than I'd want to give him, especially when this club needs to completely over-haul its bullpen and hopefully add a HIGH AVG, HIGH OBP, HIGH SPEED guy to the lineup.

I'm perfectly content with Freddy, Huddy and Torres battling it out.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
no thank you. like the previous poster im fine with the garcia torres hudson options. spend your money elsewhere. like figgons!

I agree, as long as Peavy is healthy we can go with Freddie or a kid as the 5th starter. The money would be best spent on the bullpen and some offense (which I think is looking pretty bad for 2010 right now).

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
no thank you. like the previous poster im fine with the garcia torres hudson options. spend your money elsewhere. like figgons!

Well that being the case Id rather spend $$ on quality bullpen arms, if they are available that is. But I was originally thinking Bedard could be had for something like $1.5-$2.5M base with some IP incentives.

I don't understand the clamoring for another starting pitcher right now. We have an option on Garcia, who's performed well this year, and Hudson waiting in the wings. We also have Torres still in the system and our top 4 are getting paid a lot as is. I can't see us adding anyone other than journeymen who will play in Charlotte and may be capable of filling in for a start or two if the need came up.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)
We all know the white sox 4 man rotation will consist of Peavy, Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd. The question is how do we anchor that down with the 5th starter. Im sure none of us want some experiment or a clown car of guys coming up and trying to fill that spot. So why not take a shot with Eric Bedard. He is a free agent and coming off an injury riddled year, but has also shown to have much success when healthy. He is probably going to miss the first month of 2010. This would allow him to be signed for the cheap with a 1 year incentive laden deal. I think he would be a good risk to try out. He is a much better option than sweaty "88 mph fastball" Garcia, though the two could forge insurance against each other for the 5th starter spot as well. Any thoughts.

No to EB, but I loved the clown car comment.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
Honestly, I rather have Justin Duscherer or Ben Sheets. Heck, the Sox should just add a bunch of coming-off-injury starters who used to be stars(minus one babied Erik Bedard) and put them in the pen. Just like they used to in the old days.

Duchsherer might not be a bad idea if we want a bullpen arm who can maybe come out and give us a few starts, I don't know if he'd be wanting that role though. I bet KW at least asks, but we may never know. He's not getting a guaranteed starting rotation spot coming in to ST, if that's what he wants.