Things noticed from Watching 05 ALCS on MLB Network

joeynach

As we speak Im watching game 5 of the 2005 ALCS on MLB network. Im only a few innings in and have already noticed some really interesting things about how good we used to be. First of all our lineup is really good defensively, just looking at it, not even needing to see them play. Rowand, Crede, Uribe, Iguchi are all plus defensively; Konerko and Dye are average to above average. Second contreras is pitching and made a sweet defensive play in the first inning on a pop up bunt, he looks smaller and more athletic. Also Contreras is rarely I mean rarely dropping down, he throwing nice fastballs, 4 seam over the top, no running or hanging fastballs from the side, and hes throwing a ton of splitters...in the zone for strikes...WOW. They also said the sox threw 81 of 127 times first pitch strikes to Angel hitters. Thats amazing, we could probably hardly get half that now. Also, in the top of the second we got a lead off double from Rowand, AJ bunted him over to 3rd, and crede drove him in with a Sac Fly. I would kill for that now. Damn we used to be so good, no wonder we won in 2005 we played awesome defense, executed well, pitched well, and didn't make silly mistakes.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 05:15 AM)
do you remember how the Sox got their early lead in games 3 and 4?

nothing wrong with how game 5 worked out...just an honest to God curious question

(becaaaaaaaause I rememberrrrrrrrrrrr)

PKHRs

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 06:15 AM)
do you remember how the Sox got their early lead in games 3 and 4?

nothing wrong with how game 5 worked out...just an honest to God curious question

(becaaaaaaaause I rememberrrrrrrrrrrr)

Konerko hit 3 run bombs in the first inning of both games...ill never forget

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 06:35 PM)
that may be true, but how did they win game 1 & 2 of the ALDS, and games 2 & 3 of the world series???

I think what Wite meant to say was that we weren't the uber small ball team that many made us out to be that year. We were still a team reliant on the HR. Not as reliant as in other years (particularly last year), but it was still a pretty big weapon for that '05 team.