Jenks V. Dye

Harry Chappas

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 10:01 AM)
The 2005 World Series MVP.

His performance in the WS was good, but far from spectacular. I'm not sure that a solo shot off Clemens in Game 1 and a single that drove in the winning run in Game 4 is that much more memorable than a portly rookie being immortalized by Ozzie's joking call to the pen, blowing away Jeff Bagwell with 100 mph heat, and a couple of saves.

And then you have JD's MVP-caliber 2006 vs. Jenks' record-setting 2007, which is almost a wash as well. Both were good-but-not-great last year and both are mediocre this year.

I don't know, it's really close. I'll cop out and say that I'll remember both fondly.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)
Dye has the longer legacy you can say. Jenks was more electric in 2005 though. After he stopped "trying" to throw the 100mph with ease, his curve ball didn't look so unhittable and his "control" never made up for it.

He wasn't throwing 100 mph in 2007 and he was absolutely dominant with good command of his offspeed pitches.

Both equallly. People take closers for granted. Bobby has been way more reliable and excellent than alll our middle relievers/set up guys who get a free pass when they suck (except for the much hated Liney).

Bobby rules!!! Bobby will be missed. You wait.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
JD has pretty much established himself as a White Sox great.

I wouldn't go that far. But yeah, Dye will be remembered as the World Series MVP.

When I think "White Sox great", I tend to think those players get their numbers retired. Obviously that won't happen for Dye.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
He wasn't throwing 100 mph in 2007 and he was absolutely dominant with good command of his offspeed pitches.

Dominant is Mariano Rivera in his prime or Eric Gagne on steroids or Bobby Jenks bringing Jeff Bagwell to his knees in the world series. Bobby probably had his best year in 2007, but other than that consecutive sit down streak, he was a good closer. That streak made him elite for the year. Honestly though, I think he could've had as good of a chance doing it and became flat out dominant if he was throwing 100mph.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
Dominant is Mariano Rivera in his prime or Eric Gagne on steroids or Bobby Jenks bringing Jeff Bagwell to his knees in the world series. Bobby probably had his best year in 2007, but other than that consecutive sit down streak, he was a good closer. That streak made him elite for the year. Honestly though, I think he could've had as good of a chance doing it and became flat out dominant if he was throwing 100mph.

A hot streak can only pad one's stats so much. Bobby gave up a total of 4 earned runs in April and August this year, but you'd never know it looking at his overall numbers. A 2.77 ERA, .892 WHIP, and 40 saves is definitely Rivera-like.

This notion that Bobby needs to throw 100 mph consistently to be dominant is a canard. Bobby was much better in 2007 and 2008 than he was back in 2005. Command and the ability to change speeds consistently trumps raw heat.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)
His performance in the WS was good, but far from spectacular. I'm not sure that a solo shot off Clemens in Game 1 and a single that drove in the winning run in Game 4 is that much more memorable than a portly rookie being immortalized by Ozzie's joking call to the pen, blowing away Jeff Bagwell with 100 mph heat, and a couple of saves.

And then you have JD's MVP-caliber 2006 vs. Jenks' record-setting 2007, which is almost a wash as well. Both were good-but-not-great last year and both are mediocre this year.

I don't know, it's really close. I'll cop out and say that I'll remember both fondly.

+1

By the way,can Everett get some love too?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)
A hot streak can only pad one's stats so much. Bobby gave up a total of 4 earned runs in April and August this year, but you'd never know it looking at his overall numbers. A 2.77 ERA, .892 WHIP, and 40 saves is definitely Rivera-like.

This notion that Bobby needs to throw 100 mph consistently to be dominant is a canard. Bobby was much better in 2007 and 2008 than he was back in 2005. Command and the ability to change speeds consistently trumps raw heat.

Bobby's first year in the majors was 05. Of course his following seasons are going to be better than his rookie year. His ability to throw 100mph, even though he didn't control it as good as his 92mph tee balls, were much better because that's how he set up his hook, which could end up 10 feet away from the batter and in the dirt, because ballplayers were trying to sit on the fastball, and all of a sudden, the pitch would break on him.

Now Jenks tries to throw for control, but can crank it to 100mph if he wants to. I highly doubt he can hit 100 on a consistent basis like he did before. The control thing really doesn't work for him and hitters definitely have a much easier time touching his pitches. Bobby throwing 100mph with his curve. Now he tries to throw a cutter, as well and honestly, his control, minus a few games, isn't all that great who's dropped 6-8mph off of his fastball for the betterment of location.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
Bobby's first year in the majors was 05. Of course his following seasons are going to be better than his rookie year.

He was statistically worse in 2006 and this season than he was as a rookie.

His ability to throw 100mph, even though he didn't control it as good as his 92mph tee balls, were much better because that's how he set up his hook, which could end up 10 feet away from the batter and in the dirt, because ballplayers were trying to sit on the fastball, and all of a sudden, the pitch would break on him.

I'm not sure which Bobby Jenks you've been watching, but that hook was much more devastating in 2007 when he was (1) throwing it for strikes and (2) throwing most of his fastballs in the 95-96 mph range. I have no idea where you're getting the "92 mph tee balls" from. He was consistently clocked 2-3 mph faster than that last night.

Now Jenks tries to throw for control, but can crank it to 100mph if he wants to. I highly doubt he can hit 100 on a consistent basis like he did before. The control thing really doesn't work for him and hitters definitely have a much easier time touching his pitches. Bobby throwing 100mph with his curve. Now he tries to throw a cutter, as well and honestly, his control, minus a few games, isn't all that great who's dropped 6-8mph off of his fastball for the betterment of location.

"The control thing" worked great for him in 2007 and 2008, and I'll add that it's essential. Bobby's getting shelled this year because he's not locating any of his pitches and he's falling behind in the count early. Predictably, hitters then sit on 2-0 and 3-1 get-me-over fastballs and launch them over the fence. Having an arrow-straight 100 mph fastball and an inability to locate a good offspeed pitch will turn Bobby into Kyle Farnsworth.

Neither one of those guys will be sad next season. They will join teams and I believe they'll do well.

Bobby isn't finished. Neither is Dye.

Dye is in the most puzzling slump in history; Bobby has still had his moments of greatness this year.

Somebody would be wise to pick both of them up.

I'm not ready to cut bait on Jenks yet. I'm not convinced this is a deterioration, I think its equally possible its just a bad year. Remember that most of his bad results came from a really bad July stretch (8.59 ERA, 2.32 WHIP, 4/6 on saves), which he followed up with a very good August (1.74 ERA, 1.06 WHIP, 5/5 on saves), and he had far more innings in that good August than the bad July. That doesn't look like deterioration to me.