Fangraphs article on Dayan Viciedo

MattZakrowski

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 07:27 PM)

Harsh assessment by someone who's never seen him play. He does have 40 plus homer potential, he just needs to let the ball get deeper into the strike zone, which is what kept him at 12. But boy, can he hit. He checked his swing one time and hit the ball hard into the right field corner.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 19, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
Harsh assessment by someone who's never seen him play. He does have 40 plus homer potential, he just needs to let the ball get deeper into the strike zone, which is what kept him at 12. But boy, can he hit. He checked his swing one time and hit the ball hard into the right field corner.

All the writer basically said is that Viciedo didn't hit for a ton of power numbers-wise and that he's only 20. Personally I don't get the purpose of writing about a prospect if you don't have any information to share. I wouldn't say the assessment is harsh because the writer didn't really make one, but I would say the piece was pointless and also contradictory. How can you put Viciedo in the "dud" column when you admit you don't know s*** about him and then you go on to say the sky is the limit for him? That doesn't make any sense. The minors are about development first with production being secondary and you don't need to put up big numbers to advance levels.

I don't know where it was, but I remember reading something (possibly here?) that said something to the effect of, "beware of prospects who are all scouting reports with little production." And when I read that I had to laugh, because shouldn't people be far more concerned with minor league players who are very productive but yet scouts are constantly down on them?

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 19, 2009 -> 09:52 AM)
Viciedo's stat-line for the second half of the season... .313/.350/.464/.814

That's slightly misleading because the line you've provided is post All-Star break, which is less than 1/3 of his at-bats. But regardless, for a 20 year-old dropped into the Southern League playing in a pitcher's park...I'm not discouraged at all by his numbers this year. Especially since he showed a lot of improvement as the season progressed

QUOTE (3E8 @ Sep 19, 2009 -> 10:07 AM)
That's slightly misleading because the line you've provided is post All-Star break, which is less than 1/3 of his at-bats. But regardless, for a 20 year-old dropped into the Southern League playing in a pitcher's park...I'm not discouraged at all by his numbers this year. Especially since he showed a lot of improvement as the season progressed

That's true. I looked at post-allstar without looking at the at-bats. Thanks for catching it.

Based on at-bats, his second half average comes out to be right about .290

Like I said, he is certainly capable of hitting 40 homers in a season. I could see that potential in him. He just simply has to keep his hands back and allow the ball to get deeper in the strike zone alot more often than he does. I'd say he was in front of about 85-90% of the pitches he swung at that I saw. He did lead the Southern League in hits. He also hit a lot of deep fly balls that would have been out in other parks. C.J. Retherford would have had 6 or 7 more home runs had he not been playing his home games at Regions Park. What do they always say? Power is the last thing to come. Dayan will be fine.

Like I said, he is certainly capable of hitting 40 homers in a season. I could see that potential in him. He just simply has to keep his hands back and allow the ball to get deeper in the strike zone alot more often than he does. I'd say he was in front of about 85-90% of the pitches he swung at that I saw. He did lead the Southern League in hits. He also hit a lot of deep fly balls that would have been out in other parks. C.J. Retherford would have had 6 or 7 more home runs had he not been playing his home games at Regions Park. What do they always say? Power is the last thing to come. Dayan will be fine.

If there is one, what major league player could you (potentially) compare Dayan to?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
Except Lee was never just as powerful as Viciedo can be. Viciedo should be hitting 500 foot home runs when he's 27.

I'm thinking perhaps Prince Fielder, if everything goes well.

Fielder both walks and strikes out too much to be a comp for Viciedo. Also, we expect the power to come, but I think for now Lee would be a more prudent projection power-wise than one of the biggest sluggers in the game

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 19, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
I think Carlos Lee is a pretty fair comp.

Probably the best one I've seen actually. His maximum upside is probably MCab, but thats if every damn thing in the book for him goes right, which usually doesn't happen for prospects unless they are very special.

I also have to say that I highly disagree about his range. Viciedo has plenty of range. He can throw a runner out from deep in foul territory and he sometimes ranges too far over into the shortstop's lane. I actually think he'll stick at third.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 19, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
I also have to say that I highly disagree about his range. Viciedo has plenty of range. He can throw a runner out from deep in foul territory and he sometimes ranges too far over into the shortstop's lane. I actually think he'll stick at third.

That probably depends on his weight, a lot. And maybe on that Beckham dude, frankly.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 19, 2009 -> 06:02 PM)
That's what I was thinking. If he can drop some weight, he would have a similar build to Beltre (except a bit stronger). I would be all for moving Beckham to 2nd if Viciedo was capable of being a decent major league 3b.

His defensive issues aren't beyond repair.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 19, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
All the writer basically said is that Viciedo didn't hit for a ton of power numbers-wise and that he's only 20. Personally I don't get the purpose of writing about a prospect if you don't have any information to share. I wouldn't say the assessment is harsh because the writer didn't really make one, but I would say the piece was pointless and also contradictory. How can you put Viciedo in the "dud" column when you admit you don't know s*** about him and then you go on to say the sky is the limit for him? That doesn't make any sense. The minors are about development first with production being secondary and you don't need to put up big numbers to advance levels.

I don't know where it was, but I remember reading something (possibly here?) that said something to the effect of, "beware of prospects who are all scouting reports with little production." And when I read that I had to laugh, because shouldn't people be far more concerned with minor league players who are very productive but yet scouts are constantly down on them?

I was thinking almost the exact same thing... Where's the beef?

The guy basically took a couple of stats and turned it into an article. Meh.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
But they will be if he can't get in better shape.

True, I don't think he can afford to add much weight. But he seemed to be in decent shape this year. As long as he's on a good diet, he should be fine.