What Would Bobby Jenks bring back via trade?

beck72

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 19, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
Yeah, and they're either not tradeable or are going to cost a ton in guaranteed money as FAs this winter. We're stuck with trash like Tony Pena, Lance Broadway, and Jimmy Gobble as our realistic cheap options.

I don't consider a 1.28 WHIP "terrible" for a closer. By that definition, K-Rod has also been "terrible" this year. Statistically, Jenks was a lot better this year than he was in 2006.

All I hear on this site is "Jenks sucks," "Jenks costs too much," "get rid of him," but I never hear a viable alternative. I agree that $7 million next year would be over-paying him, but who are you going to replace him with? Thornton, who's never closed in his life? Who's going to take the setup role then? Linebrink? Are you going to dole out a 4-year/$20 mil deal to somebody like Valverde, who's entering the downside of his career? The Sox have historically done best with closers who they've developed in their minor league system (Jenks, Foulke, Hernandez, Thigpen), and I don't see that strategy changing. I don't see anybody in our farm system who appears capable of stepping in, and that would be a hell of a gamble as well.

This is a baseball team, not the stock market. You're trying to put a winning team together, not avoid over-paying players at all costs. Our bullpen completely sucks right now and dumping Jenks would be tantamount to eliminating half of its effective pitchers. The Sox need to add talent to the bullpen, not subtract it.

I agree with this. If you think Bobby Jenks will be the most overpaid player on the Sox next year, you only have to look out to CF to realize that won't be true. Money isn't the only way to evaluate Bobby. Can he rebound? Can he close for a playoff team? The chances are likely better on both of those questions than that we will get any kind of return that will help us next year.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (VAfan @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 06:57 PM)
I agree with this. If you think Bobby Jenks will be the most overpaid player on the Sox next year, you only have to look out to CF to realize that won't be true. Money isn't the only way to evaluate Bobby. Can he rebound? Can he close for a playoff team? The chances are likely better on both of those questions than that we will get any kind of return that will help us next year.

and if Rios puts up .300/.350/.500, will you say the same thing? I don't think anybody knows what the Sox have in Rios, and suggesting he is a bust and is overpaid based off of a month of play is very short-sighted.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 08:53 PM)
and if Rios puts up .300/.350/.500, will you say the same thing? I don't think anybody knows what the Sox have in Rios, and suggesting he is a bust and is overpaid based off of a month of play is very short-sighted.

Especially because his swing mechanics have been for s*** since he got here.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 20, 2009 -> 10:28 AM)
Speaking of "manipulation," ...

Your argument is as straw like as mine. There are plenty of reasons/statistics to believe Bobby is on the decline. It's just my theory that his health is directly effecting his statistical decline over the past 3 seasons and will continue to effect them. So far the stats are backing up my personal theory. You don't have to buy into it.

Bobby's going to have little things happen to his body. He may not have a serious injury (though the rebuilt elbow poses that risk) that you can pinpoint for his decline in performance, but he will be feeling the effects of his wild child lifestyle especially at that weight. Pitching at 100% is going to be happening less and less. That's why I don't think he'll pitch 60 games again.