A question

johndyce

The big reason is that typically when you draft pitchers, many starters end up being converted to closers for whatever reasons.

A lot of the time its because they don't have the stuff to be a starter. Other times they have one or two great pitches, but not the complimentary ones, so they are converted to reliever. Lastly, in the Sox case, they have just acquired a lot of them via salary dumps.

Ring was about the only one I can think of drafted as a closer.

Otherwise Gary Majewski was once a starter and then the Sox converted him to reliever, which is the case with many. Others were starters in college and eventually got converted.

It just tends to be the way things work out. Plus, KW seems to have an idea, that he wants to have tons of arms whether it comes to the pen or starting.

We also have many top top starting pitching prospects like Kris Honel, Jon Rauch, Felix Diaz, Brian West, Ryan Wing, and Brandon Phillips in the minors.

I left many out.

I'm not saying they should do this right away, but it would be nice if a few of those relief pitchers who once were starters that we have down in the minors could be re-converted back to their original function. We might be able to solidify our starting pitching for over a decade if this can pann out.

The great thing is that isn't necessary Heather. We already have great starting pitching in the minors.

Felix Diaz, Jon Rauch, Kris Honel, etc.

When you mix that with Garland, Buerhle, and Wright(if you believe in Wright) that gives 3 young starters already and about 4 more very very talented ones developing, well more then 4 of them, but I'd assume no more then 4 actually get a shot with the Sox cause once the rotation fills, they will work on developing new younger pitchers as the other pitchers grow and mold.