Top-5 prospects Kenny will trade this offseason

Kenny Hates Prospects

What prospects will Kenny trade this offseason? Make your predictions for the top 5 prospects which are most likely to be sent packing and whoever is most right at the end of the offseason wins an internet smiley from me. The prize looks like this: :notworthy

Mine are:

1. CJ Retherford - he should be a hot topic this offseason and there's a logjam (but I'd really like to keep this guy)

2. Nevin Griffith - could see him going in a 3-for-1 type deal

3. Brent Morel - good as gone if Gordon stays at 3B

4. Tyler Flowers - if we make a blockbuster then Flowers will have to head the package

5. Miguel Gonzalez - just put himself on the map, so that means Kenny is probably going to send him out

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least to me, I get the impression that KW really likes to trade guys when he thinks their value is peaking. Thus...McCarthy gets moved for Danks before his value goes down. Carter, Poreda, Richard go for Peavy and all 3 of them struggle after leaving. Allen was moved after having a very good season. Gio got moved after a very good season. Ditto DLS.

Morel, Griffith, Gonzalez all seem to me to have a strong likelihood of going up in value next eyar. Retherford...maybe, I really just don't know what the org thinks of him. The 2 guys who I'd say have peaked in value right now are Hudson and Flowers. Problem is...we really need both of them.

I think it's probably more likely that KW will shake up the big league roster than KW will move minor leaguers at this point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
At least to me, I get the impression that KW really likes to trade guys when he thinks their value is peaking. Thus...McCarthy gets moved for Danks before his value goes down. Carter, Poreda, Richard go for Peavy and all 3 of them struggle after leaving. Allen was moved after having a very good season. Gio got moved after a very good season. Ditto DLS.

Morel, Griffith, Gonzalez all seem to me to have a strong likelihood of going up in value next eyar. Retherford...maybe, I really just don't know what the org thinks of him. The 2 guys who I'd say have peaked in value right now are Hudson and Flowers. Problem is...we really need both of them.

I think it's probably more likely that KW will shake up the big league roster than KW will move minor leaguers at this point.

KW does shake up the minors each offseason and in ST, but a lot of those moves are lower level prospects. When you look at the post-season FS Top 25 (to come out soon), and look back at that list on April 1st, I'd be about a quarter of the 40 or so names receiving votes will be elsewhere.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 09:27 AM)
KW does shake up the minors each offseason and in ST, but a lot of those moves are lower level prospects. When you look at the post-season FS Top 25 (to come out soon), and look back at that list on April 1st, I'd be about a quarter of the 40 or so names receiving votes will be elsewhere.

How much of that is because of the filler though? Josh Fields is going to be gone, for example, because he's out of options and just doesn't have a role on this infield right now. Unless they can move him to OF. Egbert, Torres, Harrell may be in similar boats; packaged for a reliever or something like that to clear some space for others to move up. Link, Nunez probably will get shots at the last spot in the bullpen. etc.

1. CJ Retherford - Too good to trade, the White Sox NEED to keep him.

2. Nevin Griffith - Maybe.

3. Brent Morel - Can never have too many good hitters and fielders.

4. Tyler Flowers - Too good to trade, the White Sox NEED to keep him.

5. Miguel Gonzalez - Too young to know for sure what he's capable of yet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
How much of that is because of the filler though? Josh Fields is going to be gone, for example, because he's out of options and just doesn't have a role on this infield right now. Unless they can move him to OF. Egbert, Torres, Harrell may be in similar boats; packaged for a reliever or something like that to clear some space for others to move up. Link, Nunez probably will get shots at the last spot in the bullpen. etc.

I don't know if Egbert or Torres are going to have much value beyond that of another Broadway-for-Castro or Anderson-for-Kotsay type deal where we basically send a name over for a spare part who has been/will be DFA'd. Harrell could go but he has the stuff to pitch out of the bullpen, so I imagine the Sox will at least experiment with that first. The Sox should send as many relievers as possible to ST next season because there should be at least one spot open for a righty.

My guess is Egbert will probably be dropped from the 40-man and end up with a new team in ST, Torres will be kept on as an emergency option in AAA, Fields will be traded for low-level projects like Aardsma was or he'll be the throw-in in a bigger deal, and Harrell will be among those in ST 2010 trying to find a role in the bullpen.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
McCulloch, Fields, Egbert, Armstrong & Salvador Sanchez. Won't get much in return, maybe some lower level depth. I'm usually 99.9 % right. I want that smiley!

LOL, JPN players have to have value in order for Kenny to trade them for good Major League players. I know you love all our prospects but I'm just trying to be realistic as far as who Kenny is going to trade. If we traded McCulloch for instance we'd have to pay for shipping. But you can have a smiley anyway :lolhitting

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
I don't know if Egbert or Torres are going to have much value beyond that of another Broadway-for-Castro or Anderson-for-Kotsay type deal where we basically send a name over for a spare part who has been/will be DFA'd. Harrell could go but he has the stuff to pitch out of the bullpen, so I imagine the Sox will at least experiment with that first. The Sox should send as many relievers as possible to ST next season because there should be at least one spot open for a righty.

My guess is Egbert will probably be dropped from the 40-man and end up with a new team in ST, Torres will be kept on as an emergency option in AAA, Fields will be traded for low-level projects like Aardsma was or he'll be the throw-in in a bigger deal, and Harrell will be among those in ST 2010 trying to find a role in the bullpen.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. KW might go to someone like the Padres or Nationals and figure out a way to do a 3 or 4 for 1 swap to clear some of the chaff like Fields and Egbert who, like it or not, we just don't have room for, Torres will be kept as an option unless someone offers us something legit for us (Which could happen, frankly), and the other guys...I don't see them moving any of the guys we really think could be top level guys (Mitchell, D2: the Mighty Danks, Viciedo, Hudson, Flowers) because of the amount we have invested in them and I don't think the next tier (CJ, Morel) have established themselves enough yet to make them genuinely worth a lot to another team.

If there's a shakeup this offseason, it's going to be something surprising happening at the big league level. One of the If's being moved, or a major bullpen shakeup. Something like that.

Of course, KW has this odd habit of shocking all of us.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)

I agree with this in theory, but DLS should have been one of those guys looked at to increase value as well. Imagine what DLS would have brought us if he had stayed healthy and dominated in Birmingham. Kenny is just hard to predict sometimes, and I honestly believe that when Kenny wants a player bad, he doesn't really think about whether or not he's selling at peak value, he just gives the other team the players they want and schedules the press conference.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
Pretty much my thoughts as well. KW might go to someone like the Padres or Nationals and figure out a way to do a 3 or 4 for 1 swap to clear some of the chaff like Fields and Egbert who, like it or not, we just don't have room for, Torres will be kept as an option unless someone offers us something legit for us (Which could happen, frankly), and the other guys...I don't see them moving any of the guys we really think could be top level guys (Mitchell, D2: the Mighty Danks, Viciedo, Hudson, Flowers) because of the amount we have invested in them and I don't think the next tier (CJ, Morel) have established themselves enough yet to make them genuinely worth a lot to another team.

If there's a shakeup this offseason, it's going to be something surprising happening at the big league level. One of the If's being moved, or a major bullpen shakeup. Something like that.

Of course, KW has this odd habit of shocking all of us.

I don't know though, Morel and CJ especially have turned into a couple pretty nice prospects. They're not star prospects and probably never will be viewed that way, so if they're going to dramatically increase their value it'll probably have to come by performing well in the Majors. But they're both solid players with versatility who can hit for average and run. CJ could be ready right now, Morel maybe by this time next year. Both players appear to be blocked and are among our better 'spects after the 2009 trades and promotions. I don't see either player as the centerpiece of a huge deal or anything, but they could go as a centerpiece for a guy like Coco Crisp, Jeremy Hermida, or Cody Ross, all of whom I could see Kenny targeting over the offseason.

As for the big guys, you just can't tell with Kenny. Adrian Gonzalez is going to be out there and I WANT that guy, and I'm sure Kenny wouldn't mind him hitting 3rd in our lineup either. If I were Kenny I'd give up two of Viciedo/Flowers/Alexei and any 4 other trade-eligible players on the farm for him provided we could get an extension done. Adrian could hit 40+ HR and get on at a .400+ clip in the Cell for the next 4-5 years or more, and from the left side of the plate to boot. It would be like having a prime Jim Thome in our lineup instead of the past-his-prime-but-still-awesome Jim Thome we had here. Just imagine that unstoppable force hitting behind Beckham and in front of a healthy CQ. And the great thing would be that he wouldn't get expensive until 2012 when he'd have to start an extension, so we'd be able to fit him into the longterm payroll plans.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)
LOL, JPN players have to have value in order for Kenny to trade them for good Major League players. I know you love all our prospects but I'm just trying to be realistic as far as who Kenny is going to trade. If we traded McCulloch for instance we'd have to pay for shipping. But you can have a smiley anyway :lolhitting

I was just listing guys who I think will be traded, not guys that will be traded for major leaguers. My list consists of guys who need a change of scenery, guys who've exhausted their status as prospects and have nothing left to show, or in the case of Armstrong, may have lost the upper hand to Flowers. I think if you opened up competition for second base between Nix, Getz and Retherford, C.J. would out hit both of them. He's just a tremendous hitter. He put up better numbers in B'ham in one year than Getz did in two. And I like Getz, I just think C.J. is miles better.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
I was just listing guys who I think will be traded, not guys that will be traded for major leaguers. My list consists of guys who need a change of scenery, guys who've exhausted their status as prospects and have nothing left to show, or in the case of Armstrong, may have lost the upper hand to Flowers. I think if you opened up competition for second base between Nix, Getz and Retherford, C.J. would out hit both of them. He's just a tremendous hitter. He put up better numbers in B'ham in one year than Getz did in two. And I like Getz, I just think C.J. is miles better.

I see then. I don't think those are really trade candidates though, more like minor league free agents, future retirees, DFA guys, etc. Maybe a couple get traded for small cash considerations or something.

I hope you're right about CJ and he gets a shot.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 10:07 AM)
I agree with this in theory, but DLS should have been one of those guys looked at to increase value as well. Imagine what DLS would have brought us if he had stayed healthy and dominated in Birmingham. Kenny is just hard to predict sometimes, and I honestly believe that when Kenny wants a player bad, he doesn't really think about whether or not he's selling at peak value, he just gives the other team the players they want and schedules the press conference.

I think KW probably wasn't nearly as high on DLS after looking good at A ball as some of us in the audiences were.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
I'm still a bit shocked that both Ely and Shelby are still in the system. I mean... i like both those guys, they just seem like people KW would have traded already.

Trades need 2 sides. Maybe not a good fit with the teams he has been trading with.

I could see one of Jor.Danks or Mitchell traded. Both are highly regarded and both are "targeted" to play CF, a position the Sox have filled for many years with Rios. I know Rios and/or one of the others could play LF or RF, but since CF is not as big of a position of need anymore, I could see KW doing it.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
I could see one of Jor.Danks or Mitchell traded. Both are highly regarded and both are "targeted" to play CF, a position the Sox have filled for many years with Rios. I know Rios and/or one of the others could play LF or RF, but since CF is not as big of a position of need anymore, I could see KW doing it.

Couple points. 1: Mitchell is ineligible to be traded until something like Jan 1, give or take, even as a PTBNL. You can't officially trade a guy you drafted until what, 1 year after the draft, and then you've got only 6 months or so where you can not name the last player in a trade.

2. D2: the mighty Danks isn't getting traded not necessarily because of his performance, but because we have a LHP who put up a 3.6 ERA with the same name. Like it or not, we want to extend D1, the family did us a favor by switching agents away from Satan, we're not going to jerk them around like that. And it's the right thing to do.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
Couple points. 1: Mitchell is ineligible to be traded until something like Jan 1, give or take, even as a PTBNL. You can't officially trade a guy you drafted until what, 1 year after the draft, and then you've got only 6 months or so where you can not name the last player in a trade.

2. D2: the mighty Danks isn't getting traded not necessarily because of his performance, but because we have a LHP who put up a 3.6 ERA with the same name. Like it or not, we want to extend D1, the family did us a favor by switching agents away from Satan, we're not going to jerk them around like that. And it's the right thing to do.

Just to clarify - I don't think it would be a good idea (well, I guess it depends who we get back), but since the thread topic is "who might KW trade this offseason," I put these names out there. KW usually trades away guys that are somewhat unexpected and also guys that people project with the big club. These are the kind of names that people say "no way" KW will trade them...then he does. Especially if D2 starts projecting as less of a leadoff-type hitter, since "leadoff hitter" is still a need but CF isn't.

Also, I don't really buy the D1/D2 argument. It is a consideration, but I really believe KW would trade away his own son (if he was any good) to help the team. I don't think he's worried about these things. I also don't believe it would be a jerk move. If KW wants someone to help the team that is a big enough improvement to trade someone like D2, I don't see D1 being on the team/switching agents as an impediment to closing that deal. I'm pretty sure I've argued this point before, so I'll stop beating that horse and just leave it at "I disagree."

Here's my predictions of who will get traded away:

1. Jon Link

2. Clevelan Santeliz

3. Stephan Gartrell

4. Jon Gilmore

5. Brent Morel

I picked these guys because they're giving me the vibes that they'll be included in packages in trades to other teams. I'm still holding out hope to see Link/Santeliz/Gartrell on the major league team, tho.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)

1. Jon Link

2. Clevelan Santeliz

3. Stephan Gartrell

4. Jon Gilmore

5. Brent Morel

I picked these guys because they're giving me the vibes that they'll be included in packages in trades to other teams. I'm still holding out hope to see Link/Santeliz/Gartrell on the major league team, tho.

I think you may be right about Stefan Gartrell and Jon Gilmore. I've got a gut feeling Gartrell will be dealt.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
I think you may be right about Stefan Gartrell and Jon Gilmore. I've got a gut feeling Gartrell will be dealt.

Phil Rogers jumped out of the bushes a few weeks ago to call Gartrell possibly the biggest sleeper since Maggs. I'm a little surprised that Gartrell hasn't been added to the AFL roster because organizational hype through Phil Rogers + AFL appearance would pretty much spell Kenny flashing his cards.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)

1. Jon Link

2. Clevelan Santeliz

3. Stephan Gartrell

4. Jon Gilmore

5. Brent Morel

Thank you for making a list. It's nice when people read the first post of a thread and respond accordingly. You are officially in the running for this: :notworthy

I'd bet against the first two, although they are definite possibilities to be moved like anyone. The reason is that the Sox need a lot of help in the bullpen so I imagine they'll put as many contenders in the pool as possible. But then again if they've already made their decisions they could start cutting some of the depth lose.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 05:17 PM)
Thank you for making a list. It's nice when people read the first post of a thread and respond accordingly. You are officially in the running for this: :notworthy

I'd bet against the first two, although they are definite possibilities to be moved like anyone. The reason is that the Sox need a lot of help in the bullpen so I imagine they'll put as many contenders in the pool as possible. But then again if they've already made their decisions they could start cutting some of the depth lose.

I think Link is a candidate to be taken off the 40 man roster and be exposed to the Rule V draft.