Debate: Swap Linebrink for Bradley?

prochisox

Just an idea I want to throw at Sox fans. Since the Cubs have suspended Milton Bradley and are rumored to be willing to pay 80-90% of the rest of his contract, would they be willing to take on Linebrink and the rest of his contract as well? The northsiders need help to their bullpen and Linebrink could help.

If the Cubs paid 80% of Bradleys contract- an average over the next 2 years- 2.1 million vs. 5.75 million

Pros: .388 OBP average since 2003

.292 Average since 2003

Can DH

Save $

31 years old now, ages 31-33 for the length of his contract.

Cons: Big temper issues

Uncharacteristic down year this year - hitting .257 but .378 OBP

Loss of an arm in the 'pen. Not sure Liney counts here.

Just looking for people's responses. I'm not sure if I would do it myself.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started a thread just like this awhile ago.

We need people who can work the count. He's been great as a DH in the past.

Is he a fit for our park at a power position? not really. But if any place would get the reporters off his back, it would be the one w/ soundbyte machine Ozzie Guillen. Lets remember how incident free Carl Everett was here.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 09:46 AM)
Is he a fit for our park at a power position? not really. But if any place would get the reporters off his back, it would be the one w/ soundbyte machine Ozzie Guillen. Lets remember how incident free Carl Everett was here.

Everett still had incidents. There was an early 2005 magazine interview IIRC that he did his usual rant in. He bashed the team some when he left as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
Everett still had incidents. There was an early 2005 magazine interview IIRC that he did his usual rant in. He bashed the team some when he left as well.

Meanwhile Erstad provided incident-free low OBP in 2007

Now Everett didnt singlehandedly win us any title in 2005, but he was part of a good mix. Bradley would be tons better talent-wise. We need someone to work the count against all the pitchers that wil be making their MLB debut against us.

Obviously we would rather have a .375 OBP DH coming from a better behaved guy, but I think we have to factor in all kinds of things.... where payroll's at, what the FA market is like....the wonderful thought of dumping Linebrink.

You have to take risks to win, unless you're NYY or BOS.

I dont know how to explain it but Guillen respects guys like Bradley more than, say, Swisher or OCab. Bradley under Washington was great, right? It could work. We could try something else that would fail in a totally different way. I like the thought of Bradley and Kotsay being here next year...Pods can DH some that way.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
Just an idea I want to throw at Sox fans. Since the Cubs have suspended Milton Bradley and are rumored to be willing to pay 80-90% of the rest of his contract, would they be willing to take on Linebrink and the rest of his contract as well? The northsiders need help to their bullpen and Linebrink could help.

If the Cubs paid 80% of Bradleys contract- an average over the next 2 years- 2.1 million vs. 5.75 million

Pros: .388 OBP average since 2003

.292 Average since 2003

Can DH

Save $

31 years old now, ages 31-33 for the length of his contract.

Cons: Big temper issues

Uncharacteristic down year this year - hitting .257 but .378 OBP

Loss of an arm in the 'pen. Not sure Liney counts here.

Just looking for people's responses. I'm not sure if I would do it myself.

Ahhhh, scary!! I think that was the biggest mistake the Cubs made last offseason amongst all the stupid moves they made. They wanted a lefty power bat for right field, Adam Dunn was available, and they signed Bradley?! I wouldn't be shocked if Jim Hendry gets fired for the mess he's made.

Bradley will never work in Chicago, either side of town. He was on the defensive the minute he signed his contract with the Cubs in regards to the media, and when he isnt producing its everyone elses fault. That isnt going to change, the reporters are going to hammer the same points, and he is going to freak out again

It may be a bit out there to say Milton Bradley isa cancer on a team, but the Sox have let it be know before that team players are who they want. I am not sure that as soon as Milton doesn't feel all he love that he won't start pouting with the Sox too. Linebrink is not that way for as bad as a peformer he has been in this second half

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)
I dont know how to explain it but Guillen respects guys like Bradley more than, say, Swisher or OCab. Bradley under Washington was great, right? It could work. We could try something else that would fail in a totally different way. I like the thought of Bradley and Kotsay being here next year...Pods can DH some that way.

You don't want Bradley playing the field very much, if at all.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 12:05 PM)
Bradley gets bent out of shape when he gets booed.

Can you imagine how long his fragile psyche would last on the South Side?

I'd give him a week. LOL.

He's taken it to Cubs fans probably more than any player in memory, I bet he'd get some immediate brownie points off that from our fanbase. Whether that matters or not.

Nope. Linebrink should at least be good for one first half. The key then becomes, trade him while he's getting the job done with an ERA in the 2's and offer to cover a mil or two off his 2011 contract, then let him implode in somebody else's bullpen.

If we had to trade Linebrink in a bad contract deal I'd at least like to break even salary-wise and do it without f***ing up the clubhouse.

No thank you. This guy is not only a cancer in the clubhouse, but he is not the kind of player and person for whom I want to cheer.

Perhaps, if the Cubs paid all of his salary so that we could simply release him if he caused problems. But that won't happen because if the Cubs

were willing to do that, they would just release him.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
Bradley gets bent out of shape when he gets booed.

Can you imagine how long his fragile psyche would last on the South Side?

I'd give him a week. LOL.

Sounds like AJ before he came to the Sox, doesn't it? The best year Bradley ever had was with a laid-back manager (Wash) in a really relaxed clubhouse. Sweet Lou felt the need to try to intimidate Bradley, Bradley hates that. If you talk to the guy on his level, he'll produce and behave.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)
Linebrink has a chance of bringing something to the Sox next year. Any positive that Bradley could bring would be lost by him doing something stupid.

Linebrink would bring back talent..yes..but b/c of his own deal here....the return would be talent on its own bad contract. I dont think we could trade him for anything but a guy who is overpaid.

In Bradley's case, the contract is short, and the overpay is due to issues separate from his talent.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I'll take the chance a guy's issues subside versus the chance an untalented guy has a good year. The issues subsided in Texas...in the unfriendly confines, not so much. There's been a lot of talk of racist taunts there in the bleachers over the years...at US Cellular, there hasnt been.

Again, I'd gladly take someone like Abreu over Bradley, but I'd make this move considering how hard it is adding a .375 OBP to a team for 5M in payroll.

Edited by Princess Dye