Debate: Swap Linebrink for Bradley?

prochisox

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's more interesting is how Milton Bradley has been a problem just about everywhere he's been. I think Texas was the only stop there wasn't major issues and later they found out he was taking time off with the slightest of injuries so he wouldn't possibly hurt his stats coming into free agency. Now Texas wouldn't want him back at any cost. Yet some here still wouldn't mind the poison on the White Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 07:20 AM)
What's more interesting is how Milton Bradley has been a problem just about everywhere he's been. I think Texas was the only stop there wasn't major issues and later they found out he was taking time off with the slightest of injuries so he wouldn't possibly hurt his stats coming into free agency. Now Texas wouldn't want him back at any cost. Yet some here still wouldn't mind the poison on the White Sox.

I would say him charging that pressbox was a major issue

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 08:31 AM)
Jeesh, you're a real stickler for the rules, aren't you? ;)

Rule 2A-6Xbbb21: If you charge the pressbox at any time for any reason, you are subject to disciple from Major League baseball and/or the Players Union

there it is, right in the book ;)

I honestly believe Bradley would work very well on our team. We would probably be the most hated team in baseball, but I think he would fit in well with us. I don't believe our fans would get on him as the Cubs fans did. I think they would appreciate his skills and live with his eccentric nature. Between Ozzie and AJ, I think he would find some personalities he would mesh well with.

Does that mean I want him on our ballclub? Not really. But I do think the south side of Chicago would be one of the better fits for him as a player.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
A possible problem with Bradley and the Sox might be that there aren't other African Americans on the Sox 25 man. Dye and Wise will be gone and Bradley might have a tougher time being comfortable in the clubhouse.

Rios?

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)
That may be true, a lot of Black Hispanics are in major league baseball, but not as many African Americans as there used to be. Thus, the RBI program.

Some AAs don't consider Black Hispanics to be of a similar culture, though.

Yeah, I guess I didn't think about that...ultimately, does it matter? Rios is from Mobile, AL...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 08:43 AM)
I honestly believe Bradley would work very well on our team. We would probably be the most hated team in baseball, but I think he would fit in well with us. I don't believe our fans would get on him as the Cubs fans did. I think they would appreciate his skills and live with his eccentric nature. Between Ozzie and AJ, I think he would find some personalities he would mesh well with.

Does that mean I want him on our ballclub? Not really. But I do think the south side of Chicago would be one of the better fits for him as a player.

Why do people keep up with this idea that because AJ and Ozzie and others are "eccentric", that Bradley's "eccentricity" would fit right in? Why does it make sense that crazies will get along with other crazies? This isn't the Black Sheep Squadron. Bradley's is well and truly mentally unstable, not to mention violent. Saying he'd get along with Ozzie and AJ because they are also unusual is like saying the raging paranoid psychopaths should be put in the same room as the OCD's and the autistic folks in the nut house, because hey, they're all mentally addled, so they'll get along great! No, they're more likely to kill each other.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
Why do people keep up with this idea that because AJ and Ozzie and others are "eccentric", that Bradley's "eccentricity" would fit right in? Why does it make sense that crazies will get along with other crazies? This isn't the Black Sheep Squadron. Bradley's is well and truly mentally unstable, not to mention violent. Saying he'd get along with Ozzie and AJ because they are also unusual is like saying the raging paranoid psychopaths should be put in the same room as the OCD's and the autistic folks in the nut house, because hey, they're all mentally addled, so they'll get along great! No, they're more likely to kill each other.

I say this because I don't think he would feel alone in being disliked by fans, in being boo'd everywhere he goes on the road, in having a reputation as an asshole. I think that would allow him to identify with some of our other players more and therefore be part of "the team" as opposed to feeling alone and alienated. This club has a history of taking in players with poor reputations and for the most part, they have fit in well and succeeded here. Between Albert Belle, Carl Everett, Robbie Alomar and AJ, we've managed to have these guys on the south side for the most part, without incident.

Additionally, Ozzie has a pretty strong personality and is somewhat closer to the age of Bradley to where he can identify more with him than a manager like Lou Pinella or Buck Showalter might, and I think Bradley would keep himself in check because of that.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)
Isn't Bradley said to be a good teammate from other players' perspectives? None of his problems seem to be with teammates.

This isn't the case - see the comments made by Cubs players just this season. And these are guys who are trying to be nice, and to protect their teammates, but even they had to say some things.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)
This isn't the case - see the comments made by Cubs players just this season. And these are guys who are trying to be nice, and to protect their teammates, but even they had to say some things.

I am not surprised that he didn't fit in well with the Cubs. That is a situation where he would be in a prime market, where the fans are constantly drunk and acting like retards, where the media scrutinizes you much more so than on the other side of town.

I don't think anyone is trying to claim Bradley is an angel, or an ideal player. But I do think the White Sox would be one of the more attractive destinations for him if I was his agent...

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
Isn't Bradley said to be a good teammate from other players' perspectives? None of his problems seem to be with teammates.

Kinsler, Hamilton and Young of the Rangers all loved the guy. His manager in Texas, Washington liked him too.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)
Kinsler, Hamilton and Young of the Rangers all loved the guy. His manager in Texas, Washington liked him too.

I think there were good reviews in SD as well. Bradley's a headcase, but he's not a prick (ala Bonds/Kent). I think he became a bit of a scapegoat last season.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 01:46 PM)
I think there were good reviews in SD as well. Bradley's a headcase, but he's not a prick (ala Bonds/Kent). I think he became a bit of a scapegoat last season.

He's not a prick? Are we talking about the same guy here? The one who has attacked fans and umpires repeatedly? Tried to attack a scorekeeper? etc., etc., etc. The guy is a grade A asshole.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
He's not a prick? Are we talking about the same guy here? The one who has attacked fans and umpires repeatedly? Tried to attack a scorekeeper? etc., etc., etc. The guy is a grade A asshole.

I think he's simply trying to distinguish Bradley from guys whose own teammates dislike them, as he said, such as Bonds or Kent.

Again, I don't think anyone is trying to paint Bradley as an angel or as an ideal guy to acquire. But he's not quite the antichrist either.

It seems as though you have a very particular dislike for him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)

I agree, he's been known as trouble ever since he came up with Montreal. He doesn't last long in any one place. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why. He refuses to be held accountable.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
I think he's simply trying to distinguish Bradley from guys whose own teammates dislike them, as he said, such as Bonds or Kent.

Again, I don't think anyone is trying to paint Bradley as an angel or as an ideal guy to acquire. But he's not quite the antichrist either.

I suppose I do, but really, its more that I am puzzled why everyone thinks that he's suddenly going to change if he's here. This is the definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Its just bizarre to me.

So part of it is my being confused by other posters, and part of it is that I have zero patience for guys who make 7 figures of fan-paid money to play a game that then have zero respect for the game and the fans that supply them with a career.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)
I suppose I do, but really, its more that I am puzzled why everyone thinks that he's suddenly going to change if he's here. This is the definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Its just bizarre to me.

So part of it is my being confused by other posters, and part of it is that I have zero patience for guys who make 7 figures of fan-paid money to play a game that then have zero respect for the game and the fans that supply them with a career.

I don't think anyone has expressed that he's going to suddenly be the perfect teammate. I do think there have been times when he has exhibited restraint, however, and I happen to believe this would be a place where he could do that. I hate to compare anyone or any situation to the Bulls with Dennis Rodman, but I do think it would be similar to that - he would still probably behave like an idiot at times - but not enough to really derail the team or to overcome the good things he was doing on the field for us.

It's truly just speculation more than anything. There is not much anyone can say to win or lose the argument.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)

I am pretty sure he was ushered out of Cleveland for not getting along with pretty much anyone employed by the team. Hart couldnt move him fast enough.

edit: Here we go, found some of it

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl...ley-trade_x.htm

Indians GM Mark Shapiro and Bradley talked Sunday and wished each other well. Shapiro said he did not ask for an apology, nor did Bradley offer one.

"The majority of his time here he was a good teammate and a good member of our organization," Shapiro said. "There were moments in time that he compromised the standards and expectations that we communicated to him, not one time, but a pattern of times."

In February, Bradley was sentenced to three days in jail for driving away from police after being stopped for speeding. In 2001, Bradley was taken to a hospital by emergency medical workers after refusing to leave a restaurant because he was drunk.

He seemed to turn the corner until Wednesday. Bradley was removed from a game against Houston for not running hard on a second-inning popup that dropped for a single.

Edited by KyYlE23